Lack of interest [Suggestion] Reply: quoted text not understandable for non-techies

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

erich37

when hitting the "Reply"-button in order to reply to a post, then you see the "code" for the quoted post.

For a non-techie, this "code" is rather confusing. Is there a way you could change that ?

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
why to show this code anyway ? what´s the sense of showing that ?

*quote ="VincentU, post: 15855"]What can be 'difficult' about , , , ?quote

This is beacause the Rich Text Editor doesn't understand what to do with the quote BBCODE there is no way around this there is always going to be some BBCODE's that the RTE can't handle.

Yea but since that we want user to be less confused and a more easy forum it would be great. We are almost sure that it will not be implemented however.

well, you guys are all internet pros, but think about people who just start to use the interet or older people getting confused by seeing that code.......

Sorry, in all the time I've been a member of forums, I've never seen this issue brought up.

It is not the biggest or most important issue but I do ""Partially"" agree if it can be done with ease why not? it makes things even easier again... Though I am not sure how this editor would handle it...

well, you guys are all internet pros, but think about people who just start to use the interet or older people getting confused by seeing that code.......

My forum is mostly (and I don't say "mostly" lightly) made up of older users or otherwise non-pro/non-tech-savvy users. In the two-and-a-half years that it's been running, I've never heard of any difficulties with it.

Basic rule: Ignore the fancy code if you don't know what it is. Type your reply below all of the fancy code. That's the best advice I can give at this point.

It is not the biggest or most important issue but I do ""Partially"" agree if it can be done with ease why not? it makes things even easier again... Though I am not sure how this editor would handle it...

Oh I agree, if it can be done, then why not do it. But I don't really foresee it being possible, and if it was, would it be worth the development time?

Can it be done? Possibly eventually. But you wouldn't see something that was exactly what you're going to get. The quote has to be parsed back from HTML to BB code to keep the semantics of it (and all the styling, which can be changed).

That is one of the biggest issue I see here, TinyMCE would have to pull the style of the quote into the editor, and if the style is changed then would have to be pulled also... Though I think even if it doesn't look exactly alike it would make less experienced users happier as they don't see any code at all, and they like this :D

Heck I don't care, 9/10 I use the editor in basic mode, but for less experienced users it would be a great usability improvement...

don't looks that bad!

Looks good in a Mock up like that but getting TinyMCE to do that isn't as easy, and if you change the style on the site would also need to change the TinyMCE style.

Top Bottom