1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest [Suggestion] Reply: quoted text not understandable for non-techies

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by erich37, Aug 4, 2010.

1. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

when hitting the "Reply"-button in order to reply to a post, then you see the "code" for the quoted post.

For a non-techie, this "code" is rather confusing. Is there a way you could change that ?

Grover likes this.
  2. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

3. erich37

why to show this code anyway ? what´s the sense of showing that ?

*quote ="VincentU, post: 15855"]What can be 'difficult' about , , , ?quote

4. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

That's not exactly "advanced code." I don't see the issue, to be honest.

5. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

It simply is the name of the user and the number of the post the user made...

6. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

This is beacause the Rich Text Editor doesn't understand what to do with the quote BBCODE there is no way around this there is always going to be some BBCODE's that the RTE can't handle.

7. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

It would be great to have it pre-rendered however. User would be less confused.

8. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Sorry, in all the time I've been a member of forums, I've never seen this issue brought up.

9. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

Yea but since that we want user to be less confused and a more easy forum it would be great. We are almost sure that it will not be implemented however.

10. erich37

well, you guys are all internet pros, but think about people who just start to use the interet or older people getting confused by seeing that code.......

11. iardon

iardon Member

Many times my users fiddle with the quote code not understanding it and the quotes get messed up.

12. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

It is not the biggest or most important issue but I do ""Partially"" agree if it can be done with ease why not? it makes things even easier again... Though I am not sure how this editor would handle it...

13. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

This happens to me too, please who ask "how can i do that"?
    And it's an IT forum.

14. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

My forum is mostly (and I don't say "mostly" lightly) made up of older users or otherwise non-pro/non-tech-savvy users. In the two-and-a-half years that it's been running, I've never heard of any difficulties with it.

Basic rule: Ignore the fancy code if you don't know what it is. Type your reply below all of the fancy code. That's the best advice I can give at this point.

15. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Oh I agree, if it can be done, then why not do it. But I don't really foresee it being possible, and if it was, would it be worth the development time?

16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Can it be done? Possibly eventually. But you wouldn't see something that was exactly what you're going to get. The quote has to be parsed back from HTML to BB code to keep the semantics of it (and all the styling, which can be changed).

17. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

don't looks that bad!

Attached Files:

• xf.jpg
      xf.jpg
      File size:
      257.5 KB
      Views:
    Grover and erich37 like this.
  18. erich37

KISS
    Keep It Simple & Stupid

19. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Err, I think you need to substitute the & for a , there...

20. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

That is one of the biggest issue I see here, TinyMCE would have to pull the style of the quote into the editor, and if the style is changed then would have to be pulled also... Though I think even if it doesn't look exactly alike it would make less experienced users happier as they don't see any code at all, and they like this :D

Heck I don't care, 9/10 I use the editor in basic mode, but for less experienced users it would be a great usability improvement...

Looks good in a Mock up like that but getting TinyMCE to do that isn't as easy, and if you change the style on the site would also need to change the TinyMCE style.

erich37 likes this.