[Suggestion] Quality setting for avatars

dutchbb

IMO the quality setting for creating the avatars is set a bit low ATM (seems to be 4kb max). This creates notable jpg artifacts and is a bit ugly. I think the quality setting can be set a bit higher without really making huge files (maybe 6kb is enough to get rid of the artifacts).

So is it possible to add a setting to the Options > Performance > Avatar quality or something?

If not, is there a way to change this in the code?

Upvote 11
Indeed, I've also noticed this. It would be nice to improve the overall quality of avatars, since the re-sizing tends to make 'em a little bit ugly.

I'd like the option of using PNG instead of JPG -- just tossing that in, along with my general support. Avs are user-end -- those things should always be as dazzling as possible. I'd trade in a whole lot of admin conveniences for better avs. :)

Has anyone verified if Beta 4 has improved the avatar quality?
Not sure.

I just uploaded a animated gif, and it is only animated in the profile pop-up, and not in the post bit - which is excellent news to me. I took a quick look at the admincp and did not see anything obvious where there may be a setting.

I've also moved this thread to resolved suggestions as the OP's request now seems to have been fulfilled in that better quality avatars are now standard.

Top Bottom