[Suggestion] Please implement OpenID

I have a feeling this will be implemented when xenForo implements Twitter integration etc. I may be over looking the design of xenForo here but since they are using the Zend Framework, couldn't they use Zend_Openid to make things easier?

I have a feeling this will be implemented when xenForo implements Twitter integration etc. I may be over looking the design of xenForo here but since they are using the Zend Framework, couldn't they use Zend_Openid to make things easier?
They use -bits- of the Zend framework, and from what they've said, not much of it. 

I want to increase membership on my forums, not gathering members from EXTERNAL sites. Sure it increases social aspects to the site, but are we really increasing the USERBASE of the forum by giving the chance of integrating facebook/twitter/openid?

haha carlos. you are missing the point here!

integration with facebook, twitter, openid, google accounts is not just about social networking.

it is about making it easy for new visitors to create an account as quickly as possible to start posting.

forum registration forms tend to be very complicated. these third party service makes it much faster as the user can just approve the connectivity, and you get access to their name/email address automatically.

the validation is also no longer required because these accounts are already validated.

when i landed here on this forum, i created my account within a matter of seconds using FB integration. i did not even have to pick a password.

i have personally found out that vb fb integration resulted in more new members joining the forum. because it is just easier to join it!

:rolleyes: Maybe if I said I worked for Twitter they would reconsider lol.

Facebook Connect is more widely used then OpenID; many people have no clue what OpenID is (Especially ones that aren't technically inclined), whereas Facebook has a huge platform with millions of users.

And if they add OpenID, why don't they just add every other SSO solution? Because thats likely going to be what happens; every user will request their favorite solution, and it'll just be a mess :)

openid would open the forum to google and yahoo users. i think both support openid based logins. and since people are already supposed to put in their email ids, connectivity with google and yahoo mails a lot of sense. not everyone is comfortable connecting their facebook profile to a forum.

ooh nice.

here are some more: LiveJournal, MySpace, WordPress, Blogger, TypePad...

openid would open the forum to google and yahoo users. i think both support openid based logins. and since people are already supposed to put in their email ids, connectivity with google and yahoo mails a lot of sense. not everyone is comfortable connecting their facebook profile to a forum.

ooh nice.

here are some more: LiveJournal, MySpace, WordPress, Blogger, TypePad...
Google/Yahoo use a modified version I thought?

There was some controversy over how they weren't supporting OpenID as it was originally intended, and put their own spin on it. 

So are we trying to say that implementing OpenID is more important than Twitter Auth, Google Auth and Yahoo Auth?

Top Bottom