1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented [Suggestion] Member bbcode

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Caelum, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Caelum

Caelum Well-Known Member

Something I'd love to see in XF is a certain bbcode from the IPB 3.x series. Basically:
    [member="Caelum"] (or [member=Caelum] for that matter)
    Which would output a link saying "Caelum":
    If you were to click that link, you'd get that member's profile summary popup, like you would if you, say, clicked someone's avatar in a thread.

'Scuse my not being more lengthy, typing this from a horrid laptop <_<

Thanks anyways :p
    EQnoble, dutchbb, James and 1 other person like this.
  2. TrixieTang

TrixieTang Well-Known Member

Problem with that BBCode is that if someone changes their name it will break the BBCode, and if someone else later registers the same name it will link to the wrong member's profile.
  3. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

Cool suggestion. Internally, it could convert the bbcode to the user's userid when submitted.
    dutchbb, TrixieTang and Forsaken like this.
  4. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Great! I often refer to users in postings and every single time I...

- Have to search for the member to...
    - look up their profile and then...
    - copy their profile URL and then...
    - go back to the post to select the username I typed and then...
    - press the button to create a hyperlink and past the d*mn profile URL!

I other words... a solution like this saves me from 5 steps.

Not essential by any means on my board now, but nice to have I think.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Actually, all you need to do in XF is click, drag and drop the member name into the text editor and it automatically creates the URL.

Like this: Caelum
    Been Told and Ingenious like this.
  6. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

7. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

8. James

James Well-Known Member

The only problem with dragging is if it's the first post you still have to scan threads looking for usernames.

Nice suggestion.
  9. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Is OP in agreement with the current solution?
  10. Brogan

11. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

12. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

This doesn't work in IE8.
  13. Brogan

Yet another reason not to use IE :D
  14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

But it works in IE9. So that will be another reason to use IE.
  15. Caelum

Caelum Well-Known Member

Very fancy, love it :D

That works, yeah, but the trouble is you still have to find someone's profile to link to it (eg if you want someone who didn't post in your thread) & it just links straight to their profile instead of giving the member-popup-thingy member card. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's big enough to even warant implementation myself though (thoughts?), but I guess it would be nifty to just [member=Caelum] to specifically get that member card :p

Laptop about to die, be lengthier tomorrow - on my desktop of doom
  16. David Thomas

David Thomas Active Member

Pish-posh, there's never a valid reason to use IE. Ever.

On-topic, I think a Twitter-type tagging with a Facebook-type auto-completion would be nice. Well, actually, Facebook uses that tagging system like Twitter now, so basically, it'd be nice to have the Facebook functionality here.

As for the issue of a user changing usernames, take feldon30's suggestion, and convert the username to a user ID when you look-up the information in the database. That way, the user is none-the-wiser, and you're future-proofed.
  17. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Yup, I thought the same when I tested the dragging.
  18. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

19. Caelum

Caelum Well-Known Member

Yay for the desktop.

Regardless, as I said, I'd still like a member bbcode that specifically gives you the member card popup. It's definitely not a biggie though.
    Another advantage might be any admins feeling industrious could replace all occurences of a user's name with the member card popup if they wanted to, using the word filter. For instance, automatically converting the text 'Caelum' into '[member=Caelum]'. While admittedly the same could be done just linking directly to the member's profile, I find the member card breaks the flow far less :p
  20. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

So the only thing missing is member card display. Seems like a special URL bbCode. It has to be done in a way which cannot be exploited.