[Suggestion] Friend Finder

I'm not so enamored with Facebook to where I think their features are the greatest thing since sliced bread. No, I don't have a Facebook profile and it'll be a cold day in hell before I do have one. This feature has bad news written all over it IMO, and would be an immediate deal breaker if it were part of the core package, regardless of being able to turn it off or not. There are far too many morons who don't think before they click.

I'm not so enamored with Facebook to where I think their features are the greatest thing since sliced bread. No, I don't have a Facebook profile and it'll be a cold day in hell before I do have one. This feature has bad news written all over it IMO, and would be an immediate deal breaker if it were part of the core package, regardless of being able to turn it off or not. There are far too many morons who don't think before they click.

Honestly...that's just being really close-minded.

So, essentially you're saying you have quite a few friends who are morons?

I can't ever recall my friends spamming my inbox with invite emails, though I do generally like when my friends share things they find interesting, such as a site, with me. Our users love a similar feature, and we've found those who are invited usually register and even return on a fairly regular basis. There are people that opt themselves out of receiving such emails, but they don't even account for 1% of the invitations sent. So, can't say I exactly agree with your points.

I vote yes, very useful feature. Helps build a site unless someones goal is to have the least amount of members possible. I join a site, I want to know which of my friends are on it. Search by email... voila! He's here! I add them as a friend. If they're not... a little option to ask if I want to email the person or not. Majority will probably click 'no'.

You shouldn't look at features in relation to other sites, just look at features in terms of "Would this help XenForo become more popular and more user-friendly?" and I think this does... though there should be an option like "Do you wish for friends to find you using the e-mail friend search?". Privacy needs to be taken into account.

I agree, this feature is an absolute must. I disagree with people who say "if your friend is too damn lazy to tell...", there is not the case. Some people you only talk to ONLINE, they are not your real life friends. This feature is a MUST in a social community software. ))))

I agree this is a must.

If I have a friend who has the same hobby as me and I find a website that has really good content - what am I going to do? Well, I'm probably going to go to either the other forum I know that person from and send them a PM OR I know his/her email details and I would send an email saying - 'check this place out blahh blahh sign up!'. What is the difference here? it's just the email is coming from the site not directly from the user. The only difference being I don't have to send 10 individual emails to friends I just enter the details and the forum does it for me. If the system is pulling my friends data from Twitter or MyFace, that's great I don't have to go through hell just to tell someone about something. Young people love twitter, facebook and myspace - ignoring those folks is a huge amount of people.

This works for some sites but not others, I know from experience. Social engine has a friend inviter plugin and on one of my sites experienced massive growth. It was just a shame the forum on social engine is such a disaster as I had lots of sign ups but then the users had nothing to do when they were on the site except ask for a decent forum.

So for me this is a must have feature on at least two of my sites, perhaps three.

You can't really say it's like Facebook as lots of sites now have this feature.

So this would be useful for a lot of sites.

Perhaps openinviter could be integrated but would be nice to have an official feature.

In macro view, FB just like a very very big crowded place for grouping people,or like a huge invisible commuity;

having this feature will seem not bad. :)

Privacy discussion is a non-discussion. I really don't see how it matters.

If you are afraid that others see you are posting, don't post.
if you are afraid others see you like a post, don't like posts.

The info is already public, the discussion here is : Listing that info for convenience.

Top Bottom