Lack of interest Limit Visibility of Thread to Followers/Friends

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Ludachris

One thing forums aren't great at is allowing a member to build up an organized network of "friends" - people they trust and hold in high regard within the forum. Followers is as close as it gets but the Followers system is not very powerful, nothing like the Friends system on FB or follower system IG. I think XF could expand the Follower system and make it more useful, more powerful.

What if you wanted to start a thread in a forum and limit it to only people in your network (followers or friends) within that community site? You would have to start a Private Conversation and manually add each member to it, which isn't feasible if you want your 302 followers to see it. Or you would have to be in a private forum where all of the members you want to see your thread would also need access to. What if you wanted to browse content posted by only the people you Follow?

It would be much more powerful if users had more ways to easily share content with only their friends and see content only from those members in their follower circle. I would like to take it a step further and make certain user profile information visible to my Followers/Friends in the forum, like my real name. I can be anonymous to everyone by default with a username, but my Followers could see my real name. Not that the permission system isn't complicated enough already but hey...

Maybe if I'm viewing a thread I can filter the replies and see only replies from people in my Follower/Friend network. This could become very powerful.

I realize this is a fundamental shift in the forum philosophy, but to me it seems like a good way to blend some of the popular features and uses of social networking into the forum world.

Hopefully this might be considered.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Top Bottom