Duplicate [Suggestion] Dis - Like

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Instead of a dislike option, I'd just like the ability to "hide" a post, thread, or a person altogether. To me, that's better than a dislike button, and there would be less riots.

I think you may be missing the point and the opportunities that a dis-like button offers.

It is not about hating on someone, it is about disagreeing, or offering an opposite viewpoint in a second, there are in fact myriad uses for a thumbs down or dislike other than any kind of hating situation.

What you are talking about is an ignore function, and I am sure xenforo will have one.

:)

It is not about hating on someone, it is about disagreeing,

To you it is about disagreeing, but you know how forums users are. I'd be the worst offender. What are you going to tell a user that is complaining that some nefarious sort has given them 32,767 dislikes? I might be mean enough to sign up at every site you frequent just to dislike anything and everything you post about. That weakens the "like" feature in my opinion.

I haven't heard if there'll be an ignore function, and if it'll work better than vB's. To be great, it has to really hide the user, the way facebook does it. No "this post is not displayed because the user is on your ignore list" messages.

To you it is about disagreeing, but you know how forums users are. I'd be the worst offender. What are you going to tell a user that is complaining that some nefarious sort has given them 32,767 dislikes? I might be mean enough to sign up at every site you frequent just to dislike anything and everything you post about. That weakens the "like" feature in my opinion.

I haven't heard if there'll be an ignore function, and if it'll work better than vB's. To be great, it has to really hide the user, the way facebook does it. No "this post is not displayed because the user is on your ignore list" messages.

So just don't activate it on your forum :) It is simple really, an ACP option OFF by default.

Whilst I hear what you are saying, not all of us run forums inhabited by immature people who can't control themselves.

Your ignore suggestions would be better in the ignore topic (there is one floating around somewhere)

Edit... found it...

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-ignore-filter-system.1841/

Yeah, I'm in that thread.

I'd play around with a dis-like option as a add-on, but personally in my opinion, it would just get abused. Doesn't SMF have a karma system that you can give kudos or smites(?)? Every installation that I've seen that's used it has been abused.

Well that would be the issue of the individual Admin, I don't believe it is anyone's right to tell me or any other Admin how to run our boards... if I have a Like Button, I want a dislike Button, whether I or you... or him, or her uses it or not. It has to be there as an option.

The fact that a group of people wouldn't use it and think it is open to abuse is their own personal opinions, and nothing more, they are of course welcome to not activate this feature, why oh why do they persist in trying to tell those of us who want the option what to think, yes we understand your viewpoint, we just don't agree with it, as is our right.

:)

I guess I missed the post referred to earlier where Kier already said it would never happen, so I'll keep my opinions to myself then, which appears to also be within my rights.

I guess I missed the post referred to earlier where Kier already said it would never happen, so I'll keep my opinions to myself then, which appears to also be within my rights.

Please don't be offended, I intended no offence I can assure you :) Your opinions are as valid as mine, or anyone elses. (just you are wrong here :p hehehehe )

I have no idea if Kier ever said it Would Never Happen in such an emphatic manner, I think that was someone's take on what he actually said... however Mike has clearly indicated that they are considering it.

Perhaps the responses have been too categorical. The desire for a dislike button has been noted. It might be something to consider for a future version, but there are many things that we feel are higher priority.

A lot of consideration would need to be taken to figure out how to even implement something like that, while mitigating the potential issues or abuse. I've seen numerous reports of negative reputation systems getting out of hand.

The real point here is that it is not xenforo's (nor any other software company's) job to police our boards for us, we are capable of doing that ourselves thanks! :) Every other forum software offers both negative and positive feedback for posts.

Those who don't want to use dislike.. .don't use it, no one is proposing forcing you to.

Those who do want to use dislike or have the option to .. .should be able to.

(just you are wrong here :p hehehehe )

Sure, just let me know what xenforums you have Dis-like enabled on, so I can register and wreak havoc!

I apologize for not reading the other pages of this discussion, I didn't realize there was so much passion for the feature.

dunno.gif
I don't see Kier saying that there... only someone saying he had said it :p

Sure, just let me know what xenforums you have Dis-like enabled on, so I can register and wreak havoc!

I apologize for not reading the other pages of this discussion, I didn't realize there was so much passion for the feature.

LOL and no problems :) it has been an interesting discussion for sure ;)

I dislike this suggestion.

It´s the same problem that comes up when enabling renomee or any other possibility to negativly judge any other. At first it will be fun, but after a while someone starts to fight some personal battle against another user and from that on things can get very ugly.

If you want take the time to create a gazillion email accounts, register, activate, Dislike, and post your required comment - feel free. But my guess is that you would be banned.

Again...
the good guys will always win.

I dislike this suggestion.

It´s the same problem that comes up when enabling renomee or any other possibility to negativly judge any other. At first it will be fun, but after a while someone starts to fight some personal battle against another user and from that on things can get very ugly.
you don't need the Dislike for that to happen

You could have used the dislike button just then.......... oh wait.

giggle.gif
If like/dislike were able to be disabled on a forum to forum basis, I'd be all for it actually.

I just do not like the idea of a dislike button for the majority of my forums, because my users enjoy trolling one another and causing drama, but I can see the usage for suggestion forums, and a few other forums.

a dislike option would be cool.

the post can be automatically reported to mods if it receives too many dislikes.

filing a report is sort of a cumbersome process (much better here compared to vB!)... clicking a simple option to show displeasure makes it better.

many of my users enjoy trolling each other and drama blow ups as well, and thats exactly why id like to be able to assign my own buttons. xenforo would rather me coerce my members into some sort of tellytubby community, which would be bound for failure.
i am also a member at two forums that have redundantly hacked a hack (abes thanks) to create a whole selection of buttons, thx, agree, groan, disagree, hug, laugh, one even has a button called '**** yourself with a rusty screwdriver'. not all communities strive to be facebook or to force a false harmony between discordant users. i know the majority do, obviously k&m are in love with facebook and the sunshine forum concept, but many of us are not. at minimum please allow us an option to enable a button of dissent.
If like/dislike were able to be disabled on a forum to forum basis, I'd be all for it actually.

I just do not like the idea of a dislike button for the majority of my forums, because my users enjoy trolling one another and causing drama, but I can see the usage for suggestion forums, and a few other forums.

many of my users enjoy trolling each other and drama blow ups as well, and thats exactly why id like to be able to assign my own buttons. xenforo would rather me coerce my members into some sort of tellytubby community, which would be bound for failure. as it stands, xf would
i am also a member at two forums that have redundantly hacked a hack (abes thanks) to create a whole selection of buttons, thx, agree, groan, disagree, hug, laugh, one even has a button called '**** yourself with a rusty screwdriver'. not all communities strive to be facebook or to force a false harmony between discordant users. i know the majority do, obviously k&m are in love with facebook and the sunshine forum concept, but many of us are not. at minimum please allow us an option to enable a button of dissent.
XenForo doesn't coerce anything; they just don't offer a feature you feel is a requirement. You can easily have it added as a modification if they still don't add it.

Nothing has been forced upon you, as you don't even own a license to the forum yet. Also, unless you missed it, they're rethinking their stance on the dislike functionality, but there are things that have been prioritized above it (As it should be).

And while my users troll and try to create drama, I do not allow them to do so; Not because I do not allow them free speech (I have a forum for rants and the like), but more that it tends to be a turnoff to new users and impedes growth of the forum in most cases.

I also think its quite immature to say something that can be taken as a direct insult to Mike and Kier when they've worked almost non-stop with the effort they've put into XenForo, as well as trying to cater to the majority of users and communities. Dislike is being debated between them again, as was stated in a previous post, and attacking them in the way you has really gives weight into a reason of -not- adding it.

Top Bottom