Duplicate [Suggestion] Dis - Like

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
xenforo would rather me coerce my members into some sort of tellytubby community, which would be bound for failure....not all communities strive to be facebook or to force a false harmony between discordant users....obviously k&m are in love with facebook and the sunshine forum concept.
So what you're saying is, only a built-in Dislike feature will do for your forum of unpleasantness, and that, as a forum admin/owner, you must set a role model for the morally repugnant. If I were K&M, I'd be looking for a back door to shove you out of.

the feature is not included due to anothers vision of community harmony, a vision which would then be extended to any forum running xenforo. anything can be done via a hack. that was never in question. i am discussing default functionality.
obviously i have no license, but if i did just by the nature of the software certain things are forced upon the community it runs on.
XenForo doesn't coerce anything; they just don't offer a feature you feel is a requirement. You can easily have it added as a modification if they still don't add it.

Nothing has been forced upon you, as you don't even own a license to the forum yet. Also, unless you missed it, they're rethinking their stance on the dislike functionality, but there are things that have been prioritized above it (As it should be).

and that is your choice and what works for your board. i happen to trust myself to admin my board, and do not require anybody to decide whether a button adds or detracts from the environment. thats my call.
And while my users troll and try to create drama, I do not allow them to do so; Not because I do not allow them free speech (I have a forum for rants and the like), but more that it tends to be a turnoff to new users and impedes growth of the forum in most cases.

i worked 11 hours today and nobody brought me milk and cookies either. this is a commercial venture, yes? 'majority' is questionable. perhaps the majority of eager early adopters, but those members shouldnt be mistaken for admins as a whole.
I also think its quite immature to say something that can be taken as a direct insult to Mike and Kier when they've worked almost non-stop with the effort they've put into XenForo, as well as trying to cater to the majority of users and communities.

ironically enough, i recall being told that a dislike button wasnt needed because those that disagree should have to post their disagreement rather than simply clicking a button....
Dislike is being debated between them again, as was stated in a previous post, and attacking them in the way you has really gives weight into a reason of -not- adding it.

well, i actually have been suggesting a system where an admin can run whatever button they want. you can make it a 'hug' button for all i care. i am not interested in playing admin to your forum or trying to engineer the vibe of your board. i will leave that to you.
So what you're saying is, only a built-in Dislike feature will do for your forum of unpleasantness, and that, as a forum admin/owner, you must set a role model for the morally repugnant. If I were K&M, I'd be looking for a back door to shove you out of.

I don't think K&M are little girls that need protection from the xen community when people are vocal about their opinions on software. On the dislike button discussion, and the "let us create X number of buttons which we can name", we have to remember how tied to the system the like button already is, and it could drastically change the design of a big portion of the software.

Saying that XenForo is a "tellytubby community", trying to "force a false harmony", and "in love with facebook and the sunshine forum concept", that my friends is Trolling.

I'm not going to stand by and say nothing, regardless of my authority or lack thereof.

If you want a feature, ask for it. If it doesn't get delivered, get a plugin. Being a jackass doesn't help your cause.

And people wonder why most companies keep 10 layers of communication between anyone involved in development, and the front line forums.

Well you gotta keep the interest of your clients, and showing your face to the croud is not always the best choice. I think they are doing a great job though on that aspect.

How many forums out there the administrator is hidden under his bed? Many.

the feature is not included due to anothers vision of community harmony, a vision which would then be extended to any forum running xenforo. anything can be done via a hack. that was never in question. i am discussing default functionality.

obviously i have no license, but if i did just by the nature of the software certain things are forced upon the community it runs on.

and that is your choice and what works for your board. i happen to trust myself to admin my board, and do not require anybody to decide whether a button adds or detracts from the environment. thats my call.

i worked 11 hours today and nobody brought me milk and cookies either. this is a commercial venture, yes? 'majority' is questionable. perhaps the majority of eager early adopters, but those members shouldnt be mistaken for admins as a whole.

ironically enough, i recall being told that a dislike button wasnt needed because those that disagree should have to post their disagreement rather than simply clicking a button....

It is not -currently- included due to the developers vision of the need of a community; its that way with every forum system sorry to say. What the developer and company view should be added will be added, the rest will be a modification.

Again, they're rethinking the stance on the dislike button due to the strong support for it. I have also changed my stance to a degree, though I want the ability to disable like/dislike on a forum to forum basis due to abuse my community could do with it.

No one has dictated your community, get that through your head. I have not once insulted your ability to administrate, nor would I, because I honestly don't care about your forum. What works for you might not work for me, and I'm completely fine on your stance, my issue with your last post was the complete disrespect you showed.

Don't really care about how much you work, nor did it have much to do with the discussion at hand nor the immaturity of the post. Yes, its a commercial venture, and yes the majority could be considered questionable. Notice again, they're reconsidering their stance on a feature not included? That should give you an idea of what they're considering the majority.

The logic behind not including the dislike button is that someone who dislikes something is often going to post anyways, making the need for the button redundant (From what I gathered). In most cases, that is the reality.

well, i actually have been suggesting a system where an admin can run whatever button they want. you can make it a 'hug' button for all i care. i am not interested in playing admin to your forum or trying to engineer the vibe of your board. i will leave that to you.

That system was probably lost between other posts; perhaps suggest it as a feature, and it'll possibly implemented, rather then spout abuse for it not being added when not many seemed to have seen it.

I don't think K&M are little girls that need protection from the xen community when people are vocal about their opinions on software. On the dislike button discussion, and the "let us create X number of buttons which we can name", we have to remember how tied to the system the like button already is, and it could drastically change the design of a big portion of the software.

This was more then vocal, it was a direct attack against them, and I wans't really protecting them. I just find it extremely disrespectful of him to words things in a manner that is a direct attack against them when they're putting the dislike feature back into reconsideration.

Saying that XenForo is a "tellytubby community", trying to "force a false harmony", and "in love with facebook and the sunshine forum concept", that my friends is Trolling.

I'm not going to stand by and say nothing, regardless of my authority or lack thereof.

If you want a feature, ask for it. If it doesn't get delivered, get a plugin. Being a jackass doesn't help your cause.

And people wonder why most companies keep 10 layers of communication between anyone involved in development, and the front line forums.

This is my feeling on the matter; I won't say I haven't gotten short with quite a few people, but I have stopped myself from direct out attacks, even when they have gone so far as o insult myself or other members.

curious if youll post that over the road as well.

anyway, the forum is indeed called 'SUGGESTIONS', not 'praise and devotion'.

That post wasn't a suggest, it was an outright flame.

EDIT: I'm done respond to this thread, as I don't want to get involved in full on flaming, as thats what I'm sensing it going to turn out as.

My current stance on the original topic is to allow the ability to turn it off on a forum to forum basis for both 'Like' and 'Dislike', if added. 

This was more then vocal, it was a direct attack against them, and I wans't really protecting them. I just find it extremely disrespectful of him to words things in a manner that is a direct attack against them when they're putting the dislike feature back into reconsideration.
ok I see, I didn't read it that way, my apologies.

[shrek]Can't we just settle this over a pint[/shrek]

Seriously gents I don't think there is any call for such high octane talk is there :)

Let's all play nice or they might tiff us all out, we are fortunate to be a part of this development stage, offering suggestions and feedback on suggestions at this stage is a privilege, let's not abuse the privilege ;)

:)

I haven't read all of this thread (it's tedious in spots), but I gather that there is a strong perceived need for a dislike button by some, and an equally strong feeling against having a dislike button by many others, including Kier. So if this ever happens, it will be an addon. All well and good. If it hasn't been suggested already, I think the best way to implement dislikes (whether they are a standard feature or an addon) is to have it cost the disliker to use them. So, if you push the dislike button, you lose one of your own likes.

I'm one of those board admins who would enable it as a feature, and I will be looking for a 3rd party mod for it.

I run a debate board. My board isn't about cars, bunnies or rainbows. Arguments are posited in posts from members. Fellow members can rebut a forwarded argument, but being able to quickly give a shout out (or down) to a specific post saves the time (and space) of those who aren't willing or able to provide a sound rebuttal.

My board focuses on the argument's content and its form. The community recognizing individual posts as being of good quality or lacking, is quite a legitimate need for my community.

I realize that my board may be in the minority, but it would be false to suggest that there really is no need for such a feature or that it is a feature that will always lead to negativity.

Personally, I would never activate this feature.
That said though, I believe it SHOULD be included in the product as standard. Having it not included is in my view like introducing a feature and only allow half-side of the feature. Like you would allow posting but only in your own threads and no posting other member's threads. In this case you're allowing a "what I think about this content" but only positive thinking/feelings and no negative thinking/feelings.

Again, my view and I would actually never activate a dislike feature on my forums but for the sake of arguments I agree that it should be included as default.

EDIT: Also something I think is important to notice is that "dislike" doesn't always equal "negative reputation". Dislike could simply be that you've posted in your newsfeed "today I just got an F on my exam", right now people can ONLY like that - which would become kind of the opposite of what you want, wouldn't it?

Top Bottom