Duplicate [Suggestion] Dis - Like

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
hehehe sounds like fun :p

One year, a friend of mine in a large office changed everyone in his depts comp set up to white text so they all thought their computers weren't working. hehehe.. the IT dept loved him after that >_<

hehehe sounds like fun :p

One year, a friend of mine in a large office changed everyone in his depts comp set up to white text so they all thought their computers weren't working. hehehe.. the IT dept loved him after that >_<

My main site use to get attacked by hackers fairly often, so I thought it would be fun to convince everyone that they finally managed to hack the server, take control, and kill the site.

We had it going on for 3 days, and two of our competitors were involved with it (We were friends with them), and we kept releasing various information about what happened, but not giving everything out.

I was surprised the site didn't die out because of it, but as soon as we came back online we had about a thousand posts within the next two days, mostly the members being mad at me for fooling them so badly. 

If I ever needed a dislike mod, I'd prefer it as a mod just due to the fact that it has a chance to have greater functionality, and would receive more updates then a feature to the forum.

With something that -can- be used negatively, I would require a lot of checks to make sure it wasn't abused, or used to troll members. 

id like an option to have the buttons labelled how i wish, such as an agree button, a disagree button, a thanks button, etc. communities get addicted to these buttons, and to outright refuse to extend button functionality due to personal beliefs such as 'oh it might cause negativity' is short-sighted imo.
id prefer to have options rather than a remote developer nannying my forum by proxy. if i need co-admins ill put the word out.

id like an option to have the buttons labelled how i wish, such as an agree button, a disagree button, a thanks button, etc. communities get addicted to these buttons, and to outright refuse to extend button functionality due to personal beliefs such as 'oh it might cause negativity' is short-sighted imo.
id prefer to have options rather than a remote developer nannying my forum by proxy. if i need co-admins ill put the word out.
The phrase system will allow you to rename any of the links easily. :)

The phrase system will allow you to rename any of the links easily. :)
which in this case would be useful if i could have more than one button running.
thats all i ask for. give me a way to admin the number of buttons and the button text. if i wanted a facebook forum i would create one on facebook.

A dislike button creates a negative atmosphere IMO which leads to users posting less as they fear being "disliked". This is why FB will never add it and why I believe Kier and the team will never add it either.

Truly. I just left the thread where they were talking about the lack of a "hey, you haven't posted yet!" message. So picture this: you finally coax a lurker into making their first post, someone dislikes it, and they get the red alert: "Biffy268 dislikes your post." And they don't even get the chance to defend themselves, because Biffy didn't have to bother to put his complaint into words - he used the bloodless remote control dislike button. All they can do now to is look up Biffy's posts and dislike the hell out of them until he begs for mercy.

(Ok... actually this might be fun.)

There's absolutely nothing stopping an enterprising add-on writer from putting together a dislike system, XenForo is open and flexible enough to support it easily and I suspect it will be one of the first major add-ons produced.

But I won't be putting it into the core code, for much the same reason as I don't have a 'send abusive email to all members' button, which administrators could choose to enable or not.

There's absolutely nothing stopping an enterprising add-on writer from putting together a dislike system, XenForo is open and flexible enough to support it easily and I suspect it will be one of the first major add-ons produced.

But I won't be putting it into the core code, for much the same reason as I don't have a 'send abusive email to all members' button, which administrators could choose to enable or not.
Aww a 'send abusive email to all' button sounds like fun :p *evil giggle*

Never ever, thank you.

'Communties get addicted to these buttons'? :confused:. This (negative addiction/misuse of) is precisely the reason why a 'dis-like' button should never be part of a core product in the first place. I want to create a platform where people feel welcome. I mean... it is very simple: take Facebook.... do you get a message if someone breaks the friendship with you there? No. You could see this as a 'dislike' can't you? Someone -for whatever reason- decided to quit the Friendship and imagine what would happen if people actually get a message when someone breaks friendship with them... There is a REASON why Facebook doesn't do this! So, how would people feel if they get an alert that a member or multiple members dislike their postings? Obviously people are going to take it personally, and this is very understandable/logical.

The system was meant to promote positive attitude, this can encourage negative attitude.
A dislike button creates a negative atmosphere IMO which leads to users posting less as they fear being "disliked". This is why FB will never add it and why I believe Kier and the team will never add it either.

Amen.

'...and to outright refuse to extend button functionality due to personal beliefs such as 'oh it might cause negativity' is short-sighted imo'. ? :confused:. It has nothing really to do with personal beliefs... it is just using common sense and understanding the psychology behind implementing such a feature. Short-sighted? I call it... 'having vision'.

I think this functionality should be included. If it's not included, then that means that the creators of XF are dictating how their customers should run their forums.

Dictating? :confused:. A wise decision has nothing to do with dictation in my book.

Keep up the good work, M&K.

I completely agree with your approach/decision on many levels.

Some add-ons survive upgrading software more than others. Would a properly written (whatever that means) dis-like add-on survive upgrades reasonably well?

I completely agree with your approach/decision on many levels.

Some add-ons survive upgrading software more than others. Would a properly written (whatever that means) dis-like add-on survive upgrades reasonably well?
It depends on how much of the core changed during the upgrade. If it's basic template improvements, the dis like should be able to survive the upgrade, but if it's a total rewrite of the framework, it might not be able to survive the upgrade.

Top Bottom