[Suggestion] Create & save custom filters for the "What's New" page

Enigma

I'd like the ability to create and save custom filters for the "What's New" page. Maybe I'm only interested in bugs and official announcements, so I can create a filter for those two forums. I can create another filter to show everything except the test message forum, etc. Along with this you could choose one of your filters to be the default filter for when you click "What's New".

Upvote 10
Your suggestion would seem to be a rather major undertaking. While there is some overlap, what I'm suggesting here is limited to filtering by forum only when viewing the "What's New" page, and being able to save those filters to click on and apply them later, when viewing "What's New".
Even as a major undertaking, this is something that people ask for on every platform. Even if its not in version 1, if enough people support the idea, and add to it (Logically add to it), we can hope to have it added in a version in the near future.

I'd like the ability to create and save custom filters for the "What's New" page. Maybe I'm only interested in bugs and official announcements, so I can create a filter for those two forums. I can create another filter to show everything except the test message forum, etc. Along with this you could choose one of your filters to be the default filter for when you click "What's New".

I think this is an excellent idea. And an very practical real-life example you give when it comes to test-messages showing up in our What's New overviews. Indeed, I am not and will never be interested in new threads posted there and obviously everyone has different needs and follows different XF powered forums in the future.

But your suggestions brings up a fundamental issue I experience (a bit) with XenForo's overviews. And that is the fact that the Forumtitles do not have their own column. It looks aesthetically pleasing having the forumtitles beneath the threadtitles, but you can ask yourself the question: is it practical? Doesn't it hurt the usability of these overviews if I am not able to see at a glance to which forum which threads belong? So if it is provided in this way and it stays that way, then your suggestion comes in even more handy!

In addition to my posting above, here is a screenshot from vBulletin 3.8's excellent UI on What's New:

vb38whatsnew.webp

In XenForo is much more difficult to see easily in which forums the threads have been posted, using the What's New overview.

If you think further on Enigma's suggestion, then maybe it's an idea to include a filter like this:

[show only forums I moderate]

The value of it all more or less depends on how much your team is actually using the What's New to perform moderations tasks (obviously...).

One very useful mod I once used for vb, allowed users to opt out of whatever forums they liked when checking the new posts page. An example... This meant that none sport following members could ignore the sports forums. As we had a lot of ladies on our forum, we created a girly forum. The men on the forum obviously didn't want to know about make up and lashes. This mod allowed members to ignore these forums and not have to sift through new posts that weren't relevant to them.

A reason why this should be a core feature? As users didn't want to lose their settings In this much used mod, it meant I couldn't upgrade my vb forum for a period of time. The mod creator wasn't in so much of a hurry. This led to me eventually uninstalling the mod and upgrading. Cue moans and groans from the members when all of a sudden they were subjected to threads about top make up tips on a budget.

It'll be nice to have an exclude option where users can exclude certain threads and entire categories when clicking the what's new button.
Just like the subscribe to this thread or follow this post, something to exclude would be nice as well

Is there one particular forum you wish to exclude?

Not here in particular !!
I'm referring to features that we as admins would like to see.

For example if you are running a board with regional categories, your users can forgo the regions that doesn't interest them ;)

I have this mod installed in vB. It isn't used a lot, but the members that do use it really appreciate the option to exclude forums.

I have this mod installed in vB. It isn't used a lot, but the members that do use it really appreciate the option to exclude forums.

Ditto. I have yet to convert the mod to vB4 though, as the author no longer seems interested in it. Would be great to have something like this built-in in XF.

Haha, I think a dozen of us have put in individual requests for this, I hope the devs see it as something that's quite important. Especially for sites where there are a lot of forums, which cater for many different user types. A girl may not want to have "football" topics appearing on her What's New page, likewise a guy may not want "Hair & Beauty" topics showing on his.

there could also be a global setting
I have classified section in my forum that is used a lot

I wish I could remove it from "what's new" for all my users

I have to agree with this.

There were certain folks nearly begging for it. Again, not everyone uses it, but I would use it on xenForo for excluding the "Test Messages" forum, for example.

I'd like to see both a global ignore from what's new that we could set as admin (to remove classified forums, off-topic discussion forums, forum questions (how do I use this) forums, testing forums.)

I'd also love to see something like the OP suggests where users could individually exclude the forums that don't interest them. My first xenforo forum will be categorized by make where many will be interested in a few specific makes but not others so much. A customizable what's new to show what is new in the forums you're interested in would be a pretty nice feature.

Some of the computing/net forums I visit regularly I could really make use of this too where they are dividied by os, control panel, software, hardware type, etc. where I could definitely see the use of cleaning up the what's new to the multiple software/hardware I'm currently interested in or running only but excluding those that I just don't have interest in right now. Much faster than viewing each forum one by one when you visit daily and there are a number of areas, and easier than having to sift through when a site covers enough topic area that you're not interested in everything.

What's New is almost useless to me

It'll be nice to have an exclude option where users can exclude certain threads and entire categories when clicking the what's new button.
Just like the subscribe to this thread or follow this post, something to exclude would be nice as well

I wholeheartedly support this idea. To be honest, I can hardly use the 'What's New' here on Xenforo.com anymore! :(.

Why? Well... because the amount of subforums have grown exponentially overhere the last months and I am not interested in a large amount of them. So, since XenForo's [What's New] display all new postings from all the available subforums, the overview becomes... almost useless to me. Yes, I am serious. There is no easy way to distinct the new threads from eachother. A big reason for this is the fact that XenForo does not display the forumname inside a separate column.

In products like vBulletin 3.8 it was certainly easier to 'read' (and therefor use) this overview, because vBulletin provides us with a separate column for the forumnames, so our users could see at a glance which threads would be of their interest. This is much harder in XenForo.

I therefor hope this suggestion can be implemented soon.

Top Bottom