1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Suggestion: Compulsory User Registration fields

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Allan Hsu, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Allan Hsu

Allan Hsu Member

hello, is it possible to make it so that admin can set what fields are compulsory to fill in when a new user registers?

e.g. Location , Language, Signature...etc

CountRock, JackieChun, md_5 and 11 others like this.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can set custom user fields to be required upon registration, yes.

3. Allan Hsu

Allan Hsu Member

I can not seem to find where I can find the settings for "Required fields" in the admin area.
    For example, "Location", there doesn't seemt to be a place where I can make it compulsory to fill in. Some of my registrants did not enter that field.

4. Jeremy

You cannot make Location a required field for registration. You can make custom fields (Location is not custom) required by editing them in the ACP.

5. Allan Hsu

Allan Hsu Member

In that case, I would like to make the suggestion to allow full cusomization of setting required fields when filling out a registration form.
    It will make things more flexible as some owners may only want registrants with certain characteristics such as age (or location)

Paul and vord like this.
  6. Allan Hsu

Allan Hsu Member

How do we create custom fields in the registration form anyway?

7. Jeremy

You can already restrict by age in the options. When you add or edit a custom field, it is one of the options.

8. Allan Hsu

Allan Hsu Member

Yep, I am aware of the age field. IMHO , location filtering is also important

russoroni, LuvMeSumZen and magnanini like this.
  9. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

Another +1 here for the Location field to be selectable as optional OR mandatory as per the Board owners choice...

nrep and Allan Hsu like this.
  10. bobs409

bobs409 Active Member

Another vote for the same. :whistle:

Allan Hsu likes this.
  11. dvsDave

dvsDave Well-Known Member

I would like to upvote this as well.

Allan Hsu likes this.
  12. Donny

Donny Active Member

Likewise.
    No way around this for now?

Allan Hsu likes this.
  13. russoroni

russoroni Active Member

I agree. This would work great in conjunction with Xenforo User Map. I think User Map might still be able to search custom fields for location though but not sure. But still theres no reason why Location shouldnt have this option too.

14. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to convert the existing fields to 'custom fields' (and rename the system user fields). I never understood why they didn't do this when custom fields were first introduced, it would allow for so much more flexibility. They make use of their own APIs pretty much everywhere else, why not here?

Arantor and russoroni like this.
  15. LuvMeSumZen

LuvMeSumZen Active Member

I made my location a required field but cannot remember how I did it. Not sure I know how to tell by looking in my ACP either but I know it can be done. I have both the first name and location as required fields.

16. LuvMeSumZen

LuvMeSumZen Active Member

17. russoroni

russoroni Active Member

18. DirtRider

DirtRider Guest

19. russoroni

russoroni Active Member

Let me know if this works for you please. It isn't supposed to. I was just talking to the developer and he's waiting for xen 1.3 before he fixes it. It screws up usernames after registration in xen 1.2.4

20. DirtRider

DirtRider Guest

It seemed to run some error so I took it down again