Implemented [Suggestion] Alert for moved/merged/locked/deleted threads

---MAD---

Hi there,

I feel that if a thread you have created is locked/moved, an alert should be displayed to the user just to notify him of the new locations (and perhaps a mod can display the reason for that action being taken that only the thread creator can see).

It's frustrating at times looking for your threads and not knowing if it has been deleted or moved somewhere or simply been bumped down a few pages due to it becoming inactive.

Thoughts?

Upvote 22
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Or you can look in your profile for the thread and go to it directly from there. I don't think a notice is necessary.

I actually like this idea; I'd appreciate if there were a feature that let the OP know if there was a change in thread status.

I don't know how many times I've posted something, to have it moved, or deleted, and had spent the time to attempt to find it.

If a mod moves my thread, I should get an alert telling me its new place or if its closed I should get an alert to let me know. I think this would help users keep up to date with their threads. Possibly if a user is watching a thread he should also be alerted if the thread is moved/locked.

This can be taken a step further with the moderator being able to leave a short comment explaining why such an actoin was taken to the user.

I feel a private conversation should be started with a message to the user. This way the other user can reply to the conversation with any queries.

• If a thread is moved it shows up in the Whats New list.
  • Depending on the situation/site many moderators leave a post indicating it was closed.
  • If a really old thread is closed because it is no longer relevant, or was undesirable in any way, and 100 people are watching the thread, wouldn't that result in 5-10 messages to one of the many moderators who are on a site, and only one of them closed it?

I am not seeing any advantage from a forum management aspect.

?

I feel a private conversation should be started with a message to the user. This way the other user can reply to the conversation with any queries.
lol. Can you imagine what that means if you have 5.000 moderation actions a month? My staff would quit and run away screaming lol. I'd probably follow them quickly.

Alert sounds good from an end user view point, especially if your thread has been moved merged and renamed like one i was looking for today >_<

A simple one click "alert poster to changes" button would be great!

This has been a problem with one of my sites in the past. A moderator has been busy, forgotten to tell a member about something being moved and the member has then caused a fuss publicly about having his thread deleted not realizing it's just been moved. Anything to prevent this would be great.

This has been a problem with one of my sites in the past. A moderator has been busy, forgotten to tell a member about something being moved and the member has then caused a fuss publicly about having his thread deleted not realizing it's just been moved. Anything to prevent this would be great.
I've seen this happen many times too.

Hi there,

I feel that if a thread you have created is locked/moved, an alert should be displayed to the user just to notify him of the new locations (and perhaps a mod can display the reason for that action being taken that only the thread creator can see).

It's frustrating at times looking for your threads and not knowing if it has been deleted or moved somewhere or simply been bumped down a few pages due to it becoming inactive.

Thoughts?
I like this. A thread being moved/locked/deleted should send an alert to the original author.

Oh dear. I forgot I already made a thread about it in the suggestions forum a while ago, my bad.
Haha. That's happened to me in the past. You have different ideas you're mulling over and you don't know which ones you've actually posted or not.

In vb, the moved threads show up both in Subscribed Threads, and New Posts. In addition there is an optional re-direct.

I am still unclear in what situation it would be desirable to add an alert when a thread is moved.

I am especially unclear why an admin would want to alert someone a thread they were subscribed to was locked or deleted. That would cause many messages being sent to many different moderators on our forum since none of the members know who did the lock/delete.

Top Bottom