Implemented [Suggestion] Alert for moved/merged/locked/deleted threads

---MAD---

Hi there,

I feel that if a thread you have created is locked/moved, an alert should be displayed to the user just to notify him of the new locations (and perhaps a mod can display the reason for that action being taken that only the thread creator can see).

It's frustrating at times looking for your threads and not knowing if it has been deleted or moved somewhere or simply been bumped down a few pages due to it becoming inactive.

Thoughts?

Upvote 22
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Agreed, this is something that one should be alerted for because it fits into the principle of the Alerts Feature.

You get alerted for an update/change to something you participated in.

In vb, the moved threads show up both in Subscribed Threads, and New Posts. In addition there is an optional re-direct.

I am still unclear in what situation it would be desirable to add an alert when a thread is moved.

I am especially unclear why an admin would want to alert someone a thread they were subscribed to was locked or deleted. That would cause many messages being sent to many different moderators on our forum since none of the members know who did the lock/delete.

I didn't say anything about people who are subscribed, I meant the thread starter.

If a mod moves my thread, I should get an alert telling me its new place or if its closed I should get an alert to let me know. I think this would help users keep up to date with their threads. Possibly if a user is watching a thread he should also be alerted if the thread is moved/locked.

This can be taken a step further with the moderator being able to leave a short comment explaining why such an actoin was taken to the user.

I agree. In addition to the last statement, if we can perhaps give the mods the ability to check the reason that references a certain line item in the rules, for example, posting outside the forum descriptions, then that would make the jobs of the mods less burdensome. Mods on my sites and those my clients are heavy lifters. They like technology to do the heavy lifting. Most of them are engineers so I constantly get this type of feedback about how things could/should work. Generally there suggestions would require something to be rewritten so they are not implemented, which peeves some of them.

I am still unclear in what situation it would be desirable to add an alert when a thread is moved.

Perhaps it should be an option that is left up to the admin to activate and/or make available to the discretion of mods who can selectively move/lock/delete threads with or without notifying the thread creator, thread responders, and thread followers. And for that matter, do we need to add an additional option to notify those who have liked/disliked the thread...just a thought.

Perhaps it should be an option that is left up to the admin to activate and/or make available to the discretion of mods who can selectively move/lock/delete threads with or without notifying the thread creator, thread responders, and thread followers. And for that matter, do we need to add an additional option to notify those who have liked/disliked the thread...just a thought.
I really hate to, but disagree for something so complicated to implemented, when a simple "I am moving this thread over to the ___ forum" would suffice.

Just make it optional to notify them.

"Close thread [ ] and notify user"
[ ] = checkbox, make it ticked by default.

this works
thumbup.gif

EDIT: auto pm after mod actions = auto alert (xenforo feature) after mod actions.

Hi there,

I think i found my lost place with everything i was dreaming to have.. viva xenforo!
am really interested on all the features we got here. and i think am missing something important to my forum which is: Auto alert after moderator actions.

I can't handle my forum and my users without this mod. because it's really needed.
so i think alot of people agreed with me that this is an important Mod.

hope to see it soon. keep the good job up folks. :cool:

Or better yet, make use of the Alerts.
"Alerts (2)
--------------
Your thread was moved from Forum A to Forum B.
Your post was deleted. View reason.
--------------"

Clicking "thread" would take you to your thread. Clicking "Forum A" and "Forum B" would take you to those forums.
Clicking "View" would bring up an overlay with a quote of the post aswell as the reason for deletion. The staff who took the action should be hidden(admin configurable).

Or better yet, make use of the Alerts.
"Alerts (2)
--------------
Your thread was moved from Forum A to Forum B.
Your post was deleted. View reason.
--------------"

Clicking "thread" would take you to your thread. Clicking "Forum A" and "Forum B" would take you to those forums.
Clicking "View" would bring up an overlay with a quote of the post aswell as the reason for deletion. The staff who took the action should be hidden(admin configurable).
huh i forgot the alert feature.. hell yes it will be absolutely a great feature to add!
wow am just getting this imagination right now about my future forum powered by xenforo!

If a member has their thread merged into an existing thread - an automatic alert to alert them of this change would be quite useful (and stop the mod spam of a "Thread merged" post).

If a member has their thread merged into an existing thread - an automatic alert to alert them of this change would be quite useful (and stop the mod spam of a "Thread merged" post).
Merged with the original suggestion ;)

Far from it being "mod spam", more than just the OP needs to be aware that 2 threads have been merged.

agree about this being more automated. #1 complaint for most members is that when any action was taken on a post/thread of their's, a moderator didn't let them know. On busy boards this is nearly impossible for volunteers and likely because it is so time consuming. Automation would certainly make it easier to do and result in a much happier membership.

Top Bottom