Not planned Suggestion:adding 'guests only' option to privacy settings

C.L.

I have a suggestion for the privacy settings. You know how google limits how often you change your name? That's how it could be. Another suggestion is that we should be able to delete our accounts(instead of asking admins.) You know in the privacy stettings where you could limit who may view their profile page? I'd like the feature in the privacy settings where you could make it so only guests can view your profile page and/or with the people you follow. (one problem I had in the gamevial community was a moderator deleting my profile post,so I blocked him and made it where only people I follow can view it) If moderators keep deleting your profile posts but you still want them to be able to view it,making it where only guests could view it so before they sign in,they can look at it but when they sign they can't go to it and delete the profile posts.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Most, if not all of these have already been suggested.

Look through the suggestions forum and like the first post of each one.

For any remaining suggestions, they must each be posted on individual threads, not grouped together in a single thread.

I looked through and didn't see many threads with the same suggestions that I suggested. I have a limit of how many pages I can look through because I have some other things to do. Can you give me links to the threads?

I found a thread about liking and editing comments on profile posts. I've removed that portion out of my thread. Anything else in my thread that is already suggested,tell me about it and please at least tell me which suggestion it is(for convenience's sake.) @Brogan

Last edited:
Limit Username Change: Seeing as default functionality doesn't allow users to change their own name then it's irrelevant.
Delete Account: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/deactivated-user.50397/
Limit profile page viewing:
upload_2015-6-25_14-23-10.webp

Report on member card: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/show-report-button-on-member-card.74451/

Not sure how you couldn't find them but alas, maybe it's just because you're a new member.

FYI: This thread is in Closed Suggestions because you're supposed to create one thread per suggestion, not group them. So, if you need any more suggestions aside from what I've outlined above then create a new thread in the relevant section.

Also don't think many people would be appreciative of you not having time to look up suggestions but expecting them to...

Limit Username Change: Seeing as default functionality doesn't allow users to change their own name then it's irrelevant.
Delete Account: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/deactivated-user.50397/
Limit profile page viewing:
upload_2015-6-25_14-23-10-png.109378

Report on member card: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/show-report-button-on-member-card.74451/

Not sure how you couldn't find them but alas, maybe it's just because you're a new member.

FYI: This thread is in Closed Suggestions because you're supposed to create one thread per suggestion, not group them. So, if you need any more suggestions aside from what I've outlined above then create a new thread in the relevant section.

Also don't think many people would be appreciative of you not having time to look up suggestions but expecting them to...

Thanks for the links. I have looked at the 'deactivated user' thread but it didn't seem to fit the suggestion where users can delete their own account. I was aware that this was in closed suggestions,I got an alert about it.
I already know about that. I'm suggesting that you should be able to make it where ONLY guests can view it. I was thinking of it like this:'guests only' option goes above 'all visitors' option. (I can't make a screenshot that looks like the real thing so I just drew and added text in imgur.)
EhOx3fO.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. I have looked at the 'deactivated user' thread but it didn't seem to fit the suggestion where users can delete their own account.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/give-user-an-option-to-self-delete-their-account.2720/

I already know about that. I'm suggesting that you should be able to make it where ONLY guests can view it.
Then all anyone on your forum has to do is open a new browser session or log out so you may as well have it set to "all visitors" surely?

Then all anyone on your forum has to do is open a new browser session or log out so you may as well have it set to "all visitors" surely?
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Maybe if you put this in Layman's terms(Layman is my last name btw)I'll understand it better. Like I said in the thread,if you make it where only guests can view your profile,they won't have the ability to comment,delete,or edit your profile posts. Moderators will have to sign out to view your full profile. Then they won't have the ability to tamper with your profile(I had to use the 'people you follow only' option to keep the moderator(in the gamevial community)from tampering with my profile.) That little arrow thing was pointing above the 'all visitors' option,showing that I'd want the option I'm suggesting there. Wait,I changed my mind,I'd want it below the 'people you follow only' option.(Now I'd have to change the screenshot.I've also changed the thread where it's now focused on that topic.)

Frankly the suggestion that only guests can view your profile is, in my opinion, a daft idea, and it's even worse that you are suggesting that moderators have to log out to see profile posts. Moderators should be able to see content in order to moderate and they shouldn't jump through hoops to do so. If they are deleting stuff that they shouldn't, then it's up to the forum admin to discipline them if necessary and remove their rights if they continue to misuse their rights.

Frankly the suggestion that only guests can view your profile is, in my opinion, a daft idea, and it's even worse that you are suggesting that moderators have to log out to see profile posts. Moderators should be able to see content in order to moderate and they shouldn't jump through hoops to do so. If they are deleting stuff that they shouldn't, then it's up to the forum admin to discipline them if necessary and remove their rights if they continue to misuse their rights.
Well,in the gamevial community,a moderator kept deleting my profile post(it was not anything abusive or something like that)so I just used the 'people you follow only' option to block him since I don't follow him. Maybe my suggestion should be able to block moderators,but not the creators of the forum(since the creators of the forum sets up all the permissions and put it together.)

So, you're basically just a user on a forum who is disgruntled at the actions of a moderator and you are then posting suggestions here to which you don't really comprehend the ramifications of these on those of us who actually run and moderate forums.

I'm sure the moderator had reasons for deleting your profile posts, even if you can't see this. If you have a problem with the behaviour of a moderator on your forum then your best recourse is to raise the issue with the forum admin rather than making suggestions like this on XenForo.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Maybe if you put this in Layman's terms(Layman is my last name btw)I'll understand it better. Like I said in the thread,if you make it where only guests can view your profile,they won't have the ability to comment,delete,or edit your profile posts. Moderators will have to sign out to view your full profile. Then they won't have the ability to tamper with your profile(I had to use the 'people you follow only' option to keep the moderator(in the gamevial community)from tampering with my profile.) That little arrow thing was pointing above the 'all visitors' option,showing that I'd want the option I'm suggesting there. Wait,I changed my mind,I'd want it below the 'people you follow only' option.(Now I'd have to change the screenshot.I've also changed the thread where it's now focused on that topic.)
I wouldn't worry about changing the thread, it won't move from closed.

It seems you want to be able to stop moderators from viewing your profile, that seems to be your gripe. If so, that's more of an issue for your site's administration to deal with as the problem is behavioural and not functional. If everyone could block moderators from their profile then they could be up to anything (next thing you've got suspicious terrorism activity uh oh).

My point was for just guests to view your profile then all any member has to do is log out. Your reasoning is that a logged out moderator can't action on any posts in there which is a fair point but again that brings me to my above paragraph.

Last edited:
So, you're basically just a user on a forum who is disgruntled at the actions of a moderator and you are then posting suggestions here to which you don't really comprehend the ramifications of these on those of us who actually run and moderate forums.
No,just a user who likes new features that other people could enjoy.
It seems you want to be able to stop moderators from viewing your profile, that seems to be your gripe.
I already can. I just can't make it where only guests can view it-maybe along with people I follow.

Last edited:
You do realize there is a permission for users to bypass the privacy settings?
I know,I got a free demo. If I made a forum,I would not allow users the permission to bypass user privacy. If I would,I'd only give my admins that permission.

Top Bottom