Add-on Stripe checkout integration

Problem with Stripe Checkout is that there is a lack of communication between XenForo and Stripe if you use it. And XenForo relies on knowing what happens during the payment process.

So, whereas Stripe Checkout is a wonderful product for itself, integrating it with XenForo is not easy and Stripe Elements is the preferable way to do it.

Stripe Elements is the preferable way to do it
Can you explain this better? What is Stripe Elements?

Basically I'd like to sell some merchandising on my forum but I don't need a full fledged ecommerce system so I've two way.

1 - Have someone build a simple shopping cart system for my forum
2 - Integrate Stripe checkout

There's a simple shopping cart developed by @AndyB but it doesn't support Stripe and I don't want to use Paypal so I've thought that Checkout could be the solution

Problem with Stripe Checkout is that there is a lack of communication between XenForo and Stripe if you use it. And XenForo relies on knowing what happens during the payment process.
This isn't really true. It's similar enough to PayPal's checkout, heck it's got far more control than that. I made a Stripe Checkout add-on for a customer and it works perfectly fine.

Basically I'd like to sell some merchandising on my forum but I don't need a full fledged ecommerce system so I've two way.
Why don't you use the Stripe solution shipped by default in XenForo? Is there a particular reason you wish to use Stripe Checkout?

Have you checked this addon @wmtech yet?

But I see now that it isn't supported for 2.1. Maybe have a conversation with the dev?

This isn't really true. It's similar enough to PayPal's checkout, heck it's got far more control than that. I made a Stripe Checkout add-on for a customer and it works perfectly fine.

Correct. If you just need that to charge for items offered in forums, it should be no big problem. Could be as easy as a new custom BB-code.

However if you want to use this integrated with XF (account upgrades, etc) or need stock control it will be much more complicated.

But I see now that it isn't supported for 2.1. Maybe have a conversation with the dev?

It will be released for XF 2.1 and is currently XF 2.0 only. However it won't use Stripe Checkout and stay with Stripe Elements. And it can only be used as an integrated XF payment solution. So you would need a shopping cart add-on or similar.

If you just need that to charge for items offered in forums, it should be no big problem. Could be as easy as a new custom BB-code.
That is exactly what I need to do. I'd like to sell some simple merchandising on the forum and thought that using stripe checkout to do that. Is it possible to have such a BBCode example?

That is exactly what I need to do. I'd like to sell some simple merchandising on the forum and thought that using stripe checkout to do that. Is it possible to have such a BBCode example?

You would need to read through the documentation and think if and how this could be converted into a BB-Code. I think it should be possible. However the whole purchase management (notifying, shipping, stock keeping, etc) has to be done in Stripe.

However if you want to use this integrated with XF (account upgrades, etc) or need stock control it will be much more complicated.
The Stripe Checkout integration I made was for account upgrades. Or rather, for anything supporting the XF payment system.

It's easier than a PayPal integration. I wouldn't say it's complicated.

The BBCode integration you mentioned is far worse. Who's receiving the funds? If it's users, you'd have to integrate into Stripe Connect. If it's just the forum admin, you might as well be using account upgrades or similar. For merchandise, I'm not really sure why you'd want to do it in XenForo at all.

@HWS If you're selling merchandise, consider doing it outside XenForo. If you really want it in XF, @DragonByte Tech's eCommerce might work for what you're after. I don't think Stripe Checkout is what you think it is. Stripe is not intending to replace PayPal for those uses, it remains a developer API not a consumer one, and it isn't going to help manage shipping etc. Look into actual merchandise sale platforms for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom