Stop sniggering at the back (another logo critique thread)

As for the term, if you don't know what it means then you're not a racing fan.
It's a fundamental concept of racing.
True.

Though after I made things much more clear regarding what my site was is about I started receiving much more, relevant, traffic. I noticed that people that had *no* interest in what my site was about would then pass on a link to other people that may have an interest.

Example: Joe/Jane/Jerry/Janet finds cliptheapex.com and but has zero interest in racing or F1, but they understand at first glance that cta is about racing and F1, they may tend to mention cta to others through an email or even at lunch.

Anyway, I still think something like this idea might be good:

cta.webp

I like it, Dean. It makes more sense.

I've been caught in that same trap of wanting a slick logo at the expense of making sense or actually letting people know what the site is about. You get an idea in your head like, "I could make a palm tree out of the i and use the dot for a coconut" and then no matter how impossible this proves to be you hang onto it like a dog with a pants leg. Until finally someone asks, "why we're using NBC's Peacock logo?" and you're forced to concede defeat.

Clip the Apex is already kind of a inside term -- if you also make it hard to pick that phrase out of the logo, you're handicapping yourself for no good reason.

Just my two cents.

I was thinking something along the lines of this or variation of for the motors you prefer.
cliptheapex AM2.webp

...the other one I'm still working on but I already like it better than this one...i just forgot to post it earlier with all the crap I had going on today.

I like the two-tone look, but maybe make the green a bit more prominent, especially in the text. And reduce the overall size of the wings relative to the text. Maybe a 20% reduction?

Red will never make an appearance on the site for all the reasons you've given.
Way too common and it's associated with Ferrari.

Green is also a historic racing colour - British Racing Green to be exact :)

The colours won't be changing now.
I've spent too long setting it up and all the member feedback was positive.
The green was actually suggested by them, not me.

As for the term, if you don't know what it means then you're not a racing fan.
It's a fundamental concept of racing.

Fair enough. If you are wanting to target a certain group of "enthusiasts". Great.

xenDach

Anyone who follows motorsports would recognize most things related...for instance a lot of guys who ride sportbikes know about harleys or indians

I've owned Sony Vaio laptops for fifteen years and only recently learned that the logo represents analog & digital signals. Sine wave and binary. Bit obscure. Sorry for the HJ.

View attachment 10195
...but it didn't make you not want to use your sony right Grant :) Consider it a personal easter egg, I also did not know that either and I own a new car's value worth of sony products and have been replacing sony components with sony components since the trinitron. This was a new one for me though. Thanks :)

I think that based on what Brogans site is specifically based on he really doesn't need so much in the way of his logo explaining everything. His community is meant for motor racing enthusiasts and most who find his site by search will have gotten there from searching race terms I suppose. I am confident that a visitor befitting for his community (not saying anyone can't show up and enjoy) could look down to the first category and see F1 and get the gist of the site. (I can't name one formula driver currently or a team and I got it but this is an individual thing.)

All that being said it is not such a bad idea to figure out exactly what your logo MUST contain, exactly what it should include to support your site, and what should be left out that could take a way from the simple focus of a logo that one can easily identify as yours....think coca-cola bottle shape which itself is copyrighted for a good reason. you don't need the label on a coke bottle nor the cap to tell that it is a coca-cola product and realistically in a logo that's what you want. Brand recognition not brand description should be the primary focus of your label. I personally would throw caution to the wind when it comes to making the logo itself defining your site topically and just use a header image element behind the logo to iterate that it is a racing based site. We all have different approaches to the same end but I think about it and it really boils down to your target market to how you plan your marketing, promotion, and design.

PS sorry I fell asleep before I finished my other design trial. Today. Today.

I was thinking motion blur like that myself earlier...all you would need to make something like that tie in would be to make some kind of road surface beneath the logo and make it have a more exaggerated blur effect to give the impression that the words are moving a lot faster than the static roadway.

I like the idea of simple with a logo as it makes it easier to remember and recognize. Pardon the horrible pun here but I think now we are on the right track.

More like British motorsport enthusiasts.;)
I could make the same comment about red motorsport forums being for Italian enthusiasts.

Until 3 days ago the site was McLaren orange. Does that mean it was aimed towards New Zealanders?
confused.png

Nope, it would have to be Kiwi Green then.:p

Don't know why you are agressive towards my comments. I am just kidding around. They aren't meant to be antagonistic. I said red was more a color related to racing. I didn't mean to say the site should be red.

I actually tried to make you a logo. About 10 minutes work.

cta_logo.webp

xenDach

I didn't intend to be aggressive, I was just responding to your points.
I apologise if I came across that way.

Ironically, that's one of the best suggestions I've seen so far :D

Hmm.....I like the idea of using a small circuit outline in the background...

Isn't the McLaren Mercedes F1 Team colors Red, Silver(Grey) and Black? And who did their website? Holly Cow?:confused::eek:

XenDach
It is now but the original colour Bruce McLaren raced in was orange :)

McLarenBruce19690801.jpg

The McLaren website takes some getting used to :D
You should see it on a race weekend, it constantly updates via ajax - it's impossible to keep up.

I didn't intend to be aggressive, I was just responding to your points.
I apologise if I came across that way.

Ironically, that's one of the best suggestions I've seen so far :D

Hmm.....I like the idea of using a small circuit outline in the background...

Great, glad I could help and no problem then with the communication. Let me know, if you need any tweaking of the logo, if you want it.

XenDach

Nope, it would have to be Kiwi Green then.:p

Don't know why you are agressive towards my comments. I am just kidding around. They aren't meant to be antagonistic. I said red was more a color related to racing. I didn't mean to say the site should be red.

I actually tried to make you a logo. About 10 minutes work.

View attachment 10220

xenDach

Have to say, I do like that idea (which Brogan already knows, since he gave a link to see it). Now, if you could knock up another 19, one for each racing circuit in the F1 season... ;)

Top Bottom