Still legal issues after so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wii

I haven't been here for a while, and now I see that there are still legal issues with Xenforo? I thought it was over? What the status and what does this mean for Xenforo? Has the development stopped?

The legal issues never stopped. The same legal issue you are aware of is the same one that is still happening. That's pretty much typical of these sorts of claims.

The good news is, there is a trial date set for January 2013. Hopefully the result of that trial will be the end of it if no settlement is reached by then.

What does this mean for XenForo? Well, it's taken its toll on the developers - obviously it causes a lot of stress and financial strain.

XenForo 1.2 was supposed to have a beta release in June but this was delayed. Since then it has been confirmed by the developers that development has slowed (or even paused) but in the meantime crucial security fixes will be dealt with, as will support tickets.

And, despite that, I'm still quite positive about XenForo's future. The legal battle has an end in sight, it's still widely expected that XenForo will win, and I'm confident that whatever issues the developers are dealing with eventually be resolved enabling them to spend more time here again.

I haven't been here for a while, and now I see that there are still legal issues with Xenforo? I thought it was over? What the status and what does this mean for Xenforo? Has the development stopped?
January 2013 will bring the Good News. I'm positive about it. For other questions - please check all the existing threads.

The court case.
1. The judge doing the court case is doing it very thoroughly to make sure that once it's done there can be no appeal. That means slow.
2. The other side keep not producing paperwork or witnesses they should. This has also caused delays.
3. One of their key expert witnesses stated he found in favour of XF which did not help them.
4. They have generally appeared unable to produce evience. The strategy seems to be to keep the case hanging on without a solid basis just to cause strain on XF hoping XF will collapse. That is not happening.
5. The case is now set for Jan 15.
6. The widespread opinion is that either they will lose spectacularly as they have produced no evidence, or they will settle out of court.
7. The court award or settlement will help replace funds which have made it difficult for our developers to concentrate on their work with XF.

Meanwhile development has not stopped. I understood that development on the next stage of XF had started over the last few months. But about a month ago they decided to put it on hold till the case was done as they were very tired with the strain. I think that was wise as fatigue means coding mistakes.
However developer support continues as before and the product is very stable and functional.
The community is about the best support community I've known in 15 years on the net. Support from mods and other clients is fast and useful.
The addons aer good and almost all well supported.

We're all looking forward to XF getting back to full steam ahead. This is the last little bit of the long plod through this difficulty. It feels great it's only a few months - about 100 days to go.

Ok, I think I'll add a few questions for those who're more familiar with the matter -

1: Is there any single evidence, claim against XF that's been 'proven' by IB?
2. The developers haven't stated that coding has stopped. Just that there's no ETA - is that the same thing as 'development is on halt'?
3. Are KAM together - Yes / No ?

As for 1. there have been a couple of claims dropped. I do not believe that XenForo have been found guilty or liable of anything so far.

Questions 2 and 3 have already been asked... and we're still waiting :(

As for 1. there have been a couple of claims dropped. I do not believe that XenForo have been found guilty or liable of anything so far.

Questions 2 and 3 have already been asked... and we're still waiting :(
Yeah, Ashley's taking long time to post them. But Jake already knows the answers. Jake - answer please!

Reactions: vVv
has there even been any activity at all, from any of the KAM team's own personal sites, social sites, messengers, etc etc..? >_>.
I'm led to believe that they are sometimes on Skype and sometimes communicate with the moderators. How often? I don't know.

Reactions: vVv
Ok, I think I'll add a few questions for those who're more familiar with the matter -

1: Is there any single evidence, claim against XF that's been 'proven' by IB?
2. The developers haven't stated that coding has stopped. Just that there's no ETA - is that the same thing as 'development is on halt'?
3. Are KAM together - Yes / No ?

1. Nothing at all has been proved against XF.
Some claims have been made by the other side. They have been carefully analysed on the specific court case threads here and on other sites, and found to be without any serious foundation. As I said earlier one of the main reasons why the judge has not dismissed the case already is that if he did it would open the possibility of an equally timewasting and baseless appeal.

2. Development taking the product into the next`stage is on hold till the case is cleared.
Support queries are being dealt with. Bugs (if any are reprted which is rare0 will be fixed.

3. The developers are in communication with the board moderators.
They need people to stop nagging and gossiping about them while they take some urgently needed time off after the strain of the last two years.
While I personally feel it would be desirable if they posted a brief message every week or so I'm not in their shoes. Their need for privacy is clearly very strong and after their amazing hard work in making the leading stable and adaptable forum product available, I'm willing to respect their needs for 12 weeks.

The court case.
1. The judge doing the court case is doing it very thoroughly to make sure that once it's done there can be no appeal. That means slow.

The judge's speed has no bearing on the appeals process.

It's the US Court system that is slow and back logged, and appeals are guaranteed, especially if XF wins, IB will be sure to file appeals and keep everything going for as long as possible.

The judge's speed has no bearing on the appeals process.

It's the US Court system that is slow and back logged
Falsehoods being spread. This is not the Supreme Court where there's a line of trials that stretch back, in line for a single set of judges. The VB-XF case got a judge from the get-go, and you schedule, with the judge, for when the next hearing is; the judge schedules for you when the court-date is. Etc.

appeals are guaranteed, especially if XF wins
Troll alert.

IB will be sure to file appeals and keep everything going for as long as possible.
Our friend "David" here not only is an unbiased expert on the legal system, but he has intimate knowledge of the minds of IB lawyers, of the Judge, of KAM, and whoever else he needs to, to paint IPB as the Greatest Software in the History of the Internetz. Where's your ipbsucks.com page, David?

Falsehoods being spread. This is not the Supreme Court where there's a line of trials that stretch back, in line for a single set of judges. The VB-XF case got a judge from the get-go, and you schedule, with the judge, for when the next hearing is; the judge schedules for you when the court-date is. Etc.

So what's your point? Are you trying to say that if the judge moves faster there will be more chances for appeals? I dont get what your trying to say to my reply that a judges speed has no bearing on the appeals process

Troll alert.

Our friend "David" here not only is an unbiased expert on the legal system, but he has intimate knowledge of the minds of IB lawyers, of the Judge, of KAM, and whoever else he needs to, to paint IPB as the Greatest Software in the History of the Internetz.

Oh right because what everyone else says is okay to be opinion as long as it supports the pro-xenforo agenda of R_A. Anyone who posts facts is a troll.

Fact: Any thing that goes to trial can have appeals filed to it.

Why would IB waste all this money to sue, lose, and then magically drop it?

Let me guess, you also expect to hear a ruling the same day the trial starts right? So like January 24th or whatever the day after is, XenForo will be exonerated of all charges, and things will magically be repaired here.

You keep bringing IPB in to this for some reason and I'm not sure why, I think it might have to do with being jealous that it's currently developed, and the developers communicate with the customers not just on their site, but other 3rd party sites as well. As a matter of fact going back to previous posts, you're the one that turns everything in to an IPB troll thread for some reason, never missing the opportunity to deflect the short comings of management here, to pass the buck on to another software company. It's kinda funny you're just trolling yourself over and over again, I dont even mention IPB in any posts until you do.

U jelly bro?

Dipschit said:
Where's your ipbsucks.com page, David?

I'd make it but it's hard to find factual evidence that IPB does indeed suck. Plenty has been documented about vBulletin so they got a site too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom