A few questions (legal issues, subscription, price, queries, etc)

Luxus

Hi guys,

I read a lot of good things about XenForo and wanted to have a few questions answered that the demo was unable to provide.

1) I heard that XenForo has legal issues going for a long time with Internet Brands. I don't know the details but am I right with the assumtion that those issues are still not solved? How are the chances that Internet Brands will win this battle and what would happen to XenForo?

2) I am tempted to buy a license but I am unsure how this works. The problem is I currently don't own a domain and wanted to install XenForo on my local server to write my own templates and themes. How does XenForo check if an installation is legit? I thought that every customer needs to enter a domain upon checkout. If this is the case does that mean that I can't buy a license if I don't own a domain?

3) The regular price of a XenForo license is $140. I am from europe and from my understanding I have to pay additional $28 VAT? How can this be? XenForo is a UK based company, so I don't get why european customers have to pay 20% more for a european product than US customers. It's bad enough already that almost anything in europe is more expensive than in the US.

4) How many queries does XenForo perform on a clean installation on the index page, forum list page and showthread page? I have used MyBB and WBB in the past and their queries were practically unbeatable. I need to know the exact numbers.

5) What else does XenForo have in store for us in the near future? I'm asking because compared to other forum scripts XenForo lacks important components of a community suchs as a gallery and a blog. I am aware that I can extend XenForo with plugins, but this is exactly the reason why I got annoyed by MyBB. It just doesn't feel right if you constantly have to rely on third-party software every time you notice a feature/function missing in the core code. Furthermore, by end of this year WBB4 will be released and by looking at the preview pictures and information so far provided it's going to be a lot like XenForo and probably won't cost more than 50€. So it's really tempting and I need to know if it is worth it to buy a XenForo license at this point in time.

That's all :)

Edit: Almost forgot, it seems there is some kind of an issue with uploading avatar images in png format as I got an error stating that the image is too large and cannot be larger than 40kb every time I try to upload a png image. With gif and jpg no problems at all.

The last dev update said 1.2 in quarter 2. In the absence of further updates one can assume it's still on schedule for quarter 2. That means you should see something in the next 2 months.

Though I suspect these requests for updates are less about actual development and more about reassuring and comforting the customers given the ongoing lawsuit. That's why the emotion is always one of concern instead of eagerness or anger as is usually the case when customers request updates. I doubt there is anything XF can say to assuage these concerns. It doesn't matter what they say as long as the company is still shackled by the lawsuit. The best statement would be one that has good news about the lawsuit, and to that end XF continues to defend itself.

The concern being demonstrated on this forum is the intended effect of the lawsuit. In that respect the lawsuit against XF has been successful. This intention is made clear in the original announcement:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/363883-Internet-Brands-claims-against-Xenforo

We trust that software purchasers understand the risks of infringement of copyright law and act accordingly. We have requested that Kier, Mike and Ashley refrain from selling the software while the issues, inclusive of our infringement claims, are heard in the courts. We intend to pursue our rights broadly and vigorously.
We consider Kier and Mike to be talented developers, but ones who potentially fail to grasp the implications of their actions.

It's an obvious but effective strategy. I give them credit for that.

Top Bottom