Status message purpose?

I wonder what the status message in your profile page is good for?
I used a string such as "Howdi" and then I can see this on my member card. But why would people use this?

It's basically similar to writing a message on Twitter or Facebook. It's an informal way of displaying a message about what you're up to, how you're feeling or some such without needing to create an entirely new thread for it.

I used a string such as "Howdi" and then I can see this on my member card. But why would people use this?

Good question.

It's basically similar to writing a message on Twitter or Facebook. It's an informal way of displaying a message about what you're up to, how you're feeling or some such without needing to create an entirely new thread for it.

I never quite understood this 'Status update' concept on Facebook since I started to use that platform years ago:unsure::confused:. Indeed... as you said when one would see it as a (short) message of what you are up to, how you feel etc... it makes sense to call it a status update. But when you post an extensive article or anything else that does not fall under the 'look world, this is my new pink goldfish and this is how she makes me feel'- umbrella then it does not fit/make so much sense to call these things status-updates. What has an article got to do with any status? (But I say this from a Dutch-language point of view, so maybe in English the word 'status' fits the bill better, I have no idea).

Anyway, Facebook came to their senses ;)... because it is not called a Status update anymore. At least not when you use the desktop version of Facebook. Now the option formerly known as 'Update status' is renamed to 'Compose post'. And this makes much more sense.

With Xenforo I think (if memory serves me right?) we had a 140 char limit on the Status Updates and with such a limited length on a message it makes it much better fit the term 'Status update'. At the moment it is indeed still called a 'Status update' (it says 'Update your status...' in the post-field) in XF2, but I see (on www.xenforo.com) that the Status update is not displayed anymore in the User Profile under your username and it is also not displayed anymore in your Membercard/tooltip.

Is that a style setting or is it simply removed in XF2?

Last edited:
Top Bottom