SQL queries causing slowdown and outages

DRE

I had lots of downtime with xFHost.me so I left and when I did I was given a chance to have my site hosted at a VPS for a limited time. During my stay my site went down again and they gave me a list of what MySQL queries were slowing down my server and deleted my site. So I'm off to looking for another host again. I think 8thos will be down for longer period since I will have to find someone to look at this .txt file to see what's causing issues with my database. I don't know who does anything like that so I will have to take some time this weekend to research.

Do you have the add-ons for allowing viewers of a forum/thread to be displayed? If I remember correctly SmashBoards had the same issue and it was caused by both of those add-ons (They had about 3000 queries or more at one point due to those two add-ons).

Do you have the add-ons for allowing viewers of a forum/thread to be displayed? If I remember correctly SmashBoards had the same issue and it was caused by both of those add-ons (They had about 3000 queries or more at one point due to those two add-ons).
I uninstalled DBTech's addon Users Viewing A Thread addon several months ago. I did notice that the template for that addon was still there so I deleted it yesterday.

Disabling addons don't take a long time unless it is a TMS addon. For instance, it may take between a second or two or maybe even 5 to 10 seconds to disable the average addon. If I disable a large addon, maybe around 15 seconds but if it's a TMS addon it varies from 5 seconds to 3 minutes and even after I disabling a TMS addon the effects are still in place. Weird right?
I didn't see this thread. There's an easy solution to fix this. But I will wait tomorrow so you wake up in the right foot this time :D...

... or not:

go to the XenForo options in the admincp. Search for the TMS options. Uncheck "Compile templates on modification save and switch". It will allow you enable/disable your addons very fast BUT, there is a but, each time you install an addon which requires TMS, you will need to manually rebuild your templates in the TMS page.

That's all.

So. The site is up. All add-ons enabled.

We have no idea what caused problems previously but it's not even close to causing our VPS any stress...

Colour me confused.... :confused:

It just had a grumble and then came back up.

Traffic is quite low right now. I ran all the Cron jobs manually earlier and there was no noticeable problems...

I guess we might have another hour to wait to see if it happens again... indicating a cron problem.

Traffic is quite low right now. I ran all the Cron jobs manually earlier and there was no noticeable problems...

I guess we might have another hour to wait to see if it happens again... indicating a cron problem.
If it helps, my server didn't have any issues until about four hours after it was uploaded - giving the DNS time to propogate, etc.

The DNS was updated about 8PM last night so that should be pretty much done with now...

We're closely monitoring it anyway. There must be SOMETHING... but it's just not reared its ugly head yet.

That grumble on the hour may have been a Cron... makes sense I guess.

It was me
http://www.8thos.com/posts/163630/

That shouldn't have worked, but it did..... Check the logs for that time period and see what the bottle neck is.

1 person doing that alone in their browser shouldn't have had such an impact.

The DNS was updated about 8PM last night so that should be pretty much done with now...

We're closely monitoring it anyway. There must be SOMETHING... but it's just not reared its ugly head yet.

That grumble on the hour may have been a Cron... makes sense I guess.
No idea then. I just basically lifted the site and dumped it on my server - just mirroring the existing setup. Could it be a difference in the way you've got it online? Did you change any files, etc? I'm no server guy, so it could just be a case of you have a far better idea of what you're doing than I do :D Either way, I'm glad it's up and running!

No idea then. I just basically lifted the site and dumped it on my server - just mirroring the existing setup. Could it be a difference in the way you've got it online? Did you change any files, etc? I'm no server guy, so it could just be a case of you have a far better idea of what you're doing than I do :D Either way, I'm glad it's up and running!
We were cautious so we disabled listeners in the config first but aside from that nothing changed.

We then enabled listeners in the config and it's all working fine.

The only other difference possibly is we're using nginx and MariaDB.

Top Bottom