1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Spoiler vs Indexation

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Daniel-SP, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Daniel-SP

Daniel-SP Active Member

Is there any relation between hidding a content into a spoiler and idexating it into web search sites ?

I mean, If I put a content inside spoiler its going to be indexed into google as any other part of the content that is outside the spoiler ?

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes it will.

It is only hidden with JavaScript or a very basic CSS tweak if JS is disabled.

Either way, bots have full visibility of it.
    Daniel-SP likes this.
  3. DRaver

DRaver Active Member

The question is: Is that spoiler not cloaking and a violation of the Google webmaster guidelines?!
    This could mean a disaster for your site.
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Cloaking is showing different things to a search engine than what you show users (coming from that search engine).
  5. DRaver

DRaver Active Member

Right. The bot see the text an the user see the button. That are different things.
    So I ask a Google engineer about the problem. Can this hurt my site?
    And the and the answer was Google like: YES and NO :)

If the major text content of a page "hidden" in this way this not good for your site.
    Be Careful.
    Are you running it, user-friendly than it is ok.

I think everyone should assess the risk for themselves.
  6. Chris D

7. Newt

Newt Active Member

Are XF conditional statements/usergroup protected content seen as cloaking?
  8. Chris D

If you're talking about things like:

<xen:if is="!{xen:helper ismemberof, 1, 2, 3, 4}">
          Do not show this
    Then, no. XF conditional statements are compiled as PHP code so the effects of that code are server side meaning if something is hidden inside a conditional such as the one above, then Google can't see any trace of that happening at all.
  9. Newt

Newt Active Member

Awesome thanks a lot!