Implemented Split Core and Add-on functions in ACP->Options

Paul

It's getting more and more difficult trying to differentiate between CORE functions and ADD-ON functions in the options menu of the ACP. What i mean is they are all in the same list, in what seems to be a pseudo-random order!

I know you can filter to find them, but how about Splitting them into two, with two headings, or even easier, allow users to create heading groups and then move whichever they want into whichever group the want? Newly installed Add-ons will be uncategorised, therefore meaning that they can be moved to wherever and are also easy to find...

Anything please to stop me having to hunt up and down to find the option I'm looking for :LOL:

Upvote 34
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'll add my vote to this, although possibly this is also something that can make developers addons at this time.

Hi Paul,

What I did to solve this problem is to make all my add-ons have an Option Group Display Order of 4000.

I then hack the following file:

library/XenForo/Model/Option.php

change line 37

option_group.display_order

to

option_group.display_order ASC, option_group.addon_id ASC

PHP:
     return $this->fetchAllKeyed('
       SELECT option_group.*
         ' . $joinOptions['selectFields'] . '
       FROM xf_option_group AS option_group
         ' . $joinOptions['joinTables'] . '
       WHERE 1=1
         ' . (!$fetchOptions['includeDebug'] ? 'AND option_group.debug_only = 0' : '') . '
       ORDER BY
         option_group.display_order
     ', 'group_id');

With this hack, when I want to find an add-on Option, I scroll down past the default XF Options and then see all the custom add-ons in alphabetical order.

Bump to get more likes for the first post in this thread - should be a core feature to differentiate core options groups from add-on options groups. :)

In the Options area, right now we have Add-on settings that appear all over the place based on the ordering that the author sets. This means some add-ons appear at the top of the options page and some at the bottom. Either way it gets in the way of easily finding the default XF option groups.

It would be nice if all add-on options were separate. At the bottom of the options page a dividing bar could exist Labeled Add-on Options. Then add-on options groups could start there, ordered based on author input.

What about add-on options that are grouped under a core option group rather than a custom group? For example, say an add-on adds an option to limit the Number of New Registrations Per Day; the appropriate place for this is under the "User Registration" group. Would these kinds of options be ignored? Or would you want the options page for the group divided in a similar way?

What about add-on options that are grouped under a core option group rather than a custom group? For example, say an add-on adds an option to limit the Number of New Registrations Per Day; the appropriate place for this is under the "User Registration" group. Would these kinds of options be ignored? Or would you want the options page for the group divided in a similar way?
I was thinking about this too. There are a few add-ons that add some options into existing core options. Nodes as Tabs neatly does it by putting its options in clearly marked boxes at the bottom of nodes:

upload_2016-12-7_16-33-18.webp

This has been implemented as far as possible in XF 2.0.

See here for more details: https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/threads/put-options-into-alpha-sort-order.2951/post-19473

In simple terms, an add-on which has options will have a dedicated page to show those options (grouped by the groups that add-on has options in) and that page is accessible from the menu on each add-on list item.

We've also made it clearer when you're viewing a specific option group that an option belongs to a different add-on.

Top Bottom