Speed up your site with a CDN

Speed up your site with a CDN 2015-07-18

No permission to download
What did support say was/is the issue?
I have enabled KeyCDN again and support was very helpful. One issue was resolved. But there are 3 issues remaining that they have no answer to:
  1. Loading of JavaScript files slows down a lot at times. There seems to be a different in their network response. This issue is quite problematic.
  2. Loading of pages in Firefox & Opera has a hiccup: images first go blank for half a second and then the page loads. This doesn't happen in Chrome.
  3. Loading times in Firefox, Edge are seconds longer than Chrome. I get up to 5 seconds for my homepage, while its fast without KeyCDN.
Test here: https://www.webpagetest.org/ Choose Firefox.

I appear to be using very very few credits (less than 4 over 4 months), despite having fairly decent traffic. Now my credits are expiring but adding $50 every few months when I'm using so few is not reasonable. Is this normal? Or is my forum using an oddly small amount? It appears to be configured for /data and /js

I use MaxCDN and they let you have multiple sites. Combined we come nowhere near to using the bandwidth and it's 9.00/month! We have Over 1.1TB to use.

Submit a complaint to the support department of KeyCDN, because this is theft of your deposited money.

I appear to be using very very few credits (less than 4 over 4 months), despite having fairly decent traffic. Now my credits are expiring but adding $50 every few months when I'm using so few is not reasonable. Is this normal? Or is my forum using an oddly small amount? It appears to be configured for /data and /js
That's normal i had cancel several cdn accounts. If your usage is low might as well switch to cloudflare for free cdn like performance

I do not use free certificates.

I'm just curious. Why do you not use free SSL certificates like Let's Encrypt? Is there something wrong with using them?

I have a dedicated server and my host has been able to have me use cPanel and Let's encrypt certificates for free. I haven't noticed any problems in the browsers with the green padlock or anything. I'm just wondering if there is a reason to use a paid one as opposed to say buying the the $50 GlobalSign SSL certificate my host offers?

I'm simply a ministry rather than a business selling stuff. So, since I am dependent on donations to support the ministry and what I don't receive out of donation comes out of my own pocket, I've tended towards saving money where I can. Especially since I pay a decent amount for my server and newsletter service I use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

As for CDNs, I have been using MaxCDN with good results for the most part. I switched to CloudFlare today to see if they were any better. When I use Pingdom for testing from a server in Australia it takes 4-5 seconds for it to complete according to Pingdom. That seems to be regardless of whether I use MaxCDN or CloudFlare. I thought CloudFlare's bigger data center footprint might be faster than MaxCDN and I am still waiting to see on that. I tried Akamai as well for a week and found no difference either. They were kind of expensive. LOL

I haven't noticed much improvement switching to CloudFlare. I'm going to give it some time and see if things improve. So far, I've seen about .3 seconds worse performance on CloudFlare than MaxCDN. This despite CloudFlare having according to their site over 100+ data centers around the world. My host has a $10 plan with them that includes extra stuff from the free plan like faster mobile speeds, etc. The only thing it is short of is the WAF which my host says I don't need because they have firewall software on my server, so I went with the $10 plan rather than $20 plan. The CDN performance on the forums is better than the Wordpress part of my site.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing? I haven't been able to get much improvement on my Pingdom and GTMetrix scores either. They appear to be about the same. My Wordpress main site loads in about 1.2-1.5 seconds. I'm not sure if that is about as good as I can expect or what? Does anyone else have any experience to share on the CDN options?

Now my credits are expiring but adding $50 every few months when I'm using so few is not reasonable. Is this normal?
KeyCDN minimum usage is $49 per annum, and credits last 1 year. If your traffic/credit is low, then I don't understand why you're topping up every few months?

KeyCDN minimum usage is $49 per annum, and credits last 1 year. If your traffic/credit is low, then I don't understand why you're topping up every few months?
I have made my complaint about this at KeyCDN and demanded that I first prepare my credits before I transfer more money.

I use Pingdom for testing from a server in Australia it takes 4-5 seconds for it to complete according to Pingdom. That seems to be regardless of whether I use MaxCDN or CloudFlare.
Cloudflare doesn't use Australian data center for free or pro plans. You need to be on Cloudflare business $200+/month or Enterprise $5k/month to get access to Australian data center in your CDN mix. But Cloudflare staff said some portion might be served for lower tier plans https://community.cloudflare.com/t/routing-wrong-country/6292/10?u=eva2000

Well some portion of traffic may be served from the Sydney DC (I believe last estimate I saw was about 50% of ISPs) for lower tier plans may be served local. But this could change depending on load and capacity. So it’s not a $200 or nothing question for all of OZ, but for the question you asked that was the reason.

Sorry I know that might sound defensive, I’m not actually trying to be it’s just a bit complicated to describe something that can be as dynamic as our network some days.

Aussie bandwidth is expensive is not uncommon for cdns to restrict Australian pop access or charge higher or separately for such access.

What is the process if you want to change the subdomain you're using i.e from cdn.TLD.com to cdn2.TLD.com? Looking to minimize any impact- Can you just create the CNAME, set it as a zone alias then update the config.php and style properties before deleting the old alias?

Top Bottom