Not planned Speed up deferred/rebuilds

Alpha1

The deferred / rebuild system is too slow. Especially for big boards it take many hours for a rebuild to complete. And if you have multiple imports or multiple addons to install then it needs to rebuild the exact same things over and over.

It would be really useful and save a lot of time if there would be a faster way.

Upvote 10
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thank you for the link sir. I will give it a try soon and post back the results. Is this planned to be included in the core for the next versions of Xenforo?

This is a 3rd party release only. Any plans for CLI based rebuilding is down to Mike/Kier/Chris to decide on.

I'm going to have to reject this suggestion because "make it faster" isn't really an actionable point. Nothing is intentionally slow and the work that's done is designed to ensure the system remains in a consistent and expected state. There isn't really a defined point that could ever make this suggestion implemented.

In general, with an optimized server setup and with a common production setup (minimal languages and styles), the rebuild process after installing an add-on shouldn't take more than 1-2 minutes. Less optimized systems or less common setups (many languages and/or styles) can take longer, though if it's taking hours, that's probably something to look at with your server (and the I/O of MySQL). In fact, most of the cache rebuild tasks are write heavy, so MySQL I/O speeds are very relevant.

I would note that if you know you're doing multiple add-on installs or the like, you can actually abort the rebuilds before they finish, though note that the system can be in a somewhat inconsistent state. It's not something I would officially recommend.

I would note that if you know you're doing multiple add-on installs or the like, you can actually abort the rebuilds before they finish, though note that the system can be in a somewhat inconsistent state. It's not something I would officially recommend.
So when the rebuild is slow after i installed an add-on, i should abort the rebuilt and use the 3rd party CLI rebuild script?

So when the rebuild is slow after i installed an add-on, i should abort the rebuilt and use the 3rd party CLI rebuild script?
I don't believe that's what Mike is recommending, especially since he said:
It's not something I would officially recommend.

What he is saying though is that in the OP, @Alfa1 is saying it's redundant to rebuild in between add-ons when he's doing several. Mike is saying it's possible to abort the rebuild, continue with the next installation, and then let it run after the last one (though, again, he wouldn't officially recommend that).

Top Bottom