Special Avatar for Banned Members

Special Avatar for Banned Members 1.3.10

No permission to download
To eliminate that being a problem, please download the add-on manually from here, extract and upload its files and upgrade that way.

@Chris D I noticed that your add-on is removing from the filesystem the avatar files (small, medium, large) for the banned member. This is bad because if it's a temporary ban, when the member returns he will notice that his avatar is gone and other people will see a "broken image" error when viewing a post made by the member or his profile.

Edit: even for permanent bans this is bad because what if it was banned by error? After you lift there will be no avatar. Well in fact there will be an avatar associated to the account but the file will not be on the filesystem anymore!

I just performed a quick test and was unable to reproduce the issue right now but I'm pretty sure it happens under some circumstances. I'll perform a deeper test tonight and update this thread with (hopefully) reproduction steps. Thanks!

We've had this discussion before.

Before you report a bug, whether that be for the core software or an add-on, please first test in detail and please first provide reproduction steps.

I have the latest version of this addon and last poster avatar, but now avatar does not show up for some members in posts
This is how it looks
x3nBxU4.png

Could you link me to some users that have this problem?

I found one, but I don't particularly see why that would happen.

Also try it with different combinations of the concerned add-ons enabled to se if there's any link there, e.g. does the problem only happen with one add-on enabled. Or does the problem still exist with both add-ons disabled?

In that case the problem is likely to be unrelated to either add-on.

I note that the URL of the avatars is a standard looking avatar URL. My add-on (and as far as I know, the same applies to the last poster avatar add-on) does not touch the file that exists on the server. All it does is load a different URL, and certainly for my add-on it would only do this if the user is banned. It seems to me like the file is actually missing from your server so this is nothing my add-on will have caused.

@Chris D I noticed that your add-on is removing from the filesystem the avatar files (small, medium, large) for the banned member. This is bad because if it's a temporary ban, when the member returns he will notice that his avatar is gone and other people will see a "broken image" error when viewing a post made by the member or his profile.

Edit: even for permanent bans this is bad because what if it was banned by error? After you lift there will be no avatar. Well in fact there will be an avatar associated to the account but the file will not be on the filesystem anymore!

I have the latest version of this addon and last poster avatar, but now avatar does not show up for some members in posts
This is how it looks
x3nBxU4.png

Chris, could you please double check the source code of your add-on? It seems that it's randomly causing broken avatars (as in the screenshot posted by @imspot) for banned people after they return from their ban.

http://www.mysite.com/data/avatars/m/113/113624.jpg?1424884117 (just to mention one example)

The file data/avatars/m/113/113624.jpg doesn't exists on the server. However those avatar images get lost somehow by your add-on after banning someone be it temporary or permanent.

For example if I ban the member "Brogan" for 3 days then the system will display the banned avatar for 3 days but when Brogan comes back his avatar will look like this:

x3nBxU4.png

The same applies for permanent bans. Imagine that I ban Brogan permanently but then 5 minutes later I realize that it was an error, after I lift the ban the avatar of Brogan will look like this:

x3nBxU4.png

I don't know if it is your add-on what is doing this or maybe it's a XenForo 1.4 incompatibility with your add-on but it looks like after banning someone the system is deleting his associated avatar (large, medium and small) from the filesystem (maybe when the ban is applied or maybe when the ban is lifted). And I can confirm that it isn't a random behavior, it happens everytime: when I ban someone he losts his avatar after he comes back from the ban!

Last edited:
Thanks for share this mod Chris, I've been using it for a while,
The idea is cool, but would be really really cool if instead change completely the avatar, just use some image with transparent background above the original avatar. (Some dark ribbon or something like that) (above the original avatar) and will be more great if that new image can be visible everywhere (member card included) I'm using another addon called (mini avatar with tag) and will be nice can see the new look in the tags and everywhere. It sound tricky. Anyway is cool the idea.

http://www.mysite.com/data/avatars/m/113/113624.jpg?1424884117 (just to mention one example)

The file data/avatars/m/113/113624.jpg doesn't exists on the server. However those avatar images get lost somehow by your add-on after banning someone be it temporary or permanent.

For example if I ban the member "Brogan" for 3 days then the system will display the banned avatar for 3 days but when Brogan comes back his avatar will look like this:

x3nBxU4.png

The same applies for permanent bans. Imagine that I ban Brogan permanently but then 5 minutes later I realize that it was an error, after I lift the ban the avatar of Brogan will look like this:

x3nBxU4.png

I don't know if it is your add-on what is doing this or maybe it's a XenForo 1.4 incompatibility with your add-on but it looks like after banning someone the system is deleting his associated avatar (large, medium and small) from the filesystem (maybe when the ban is applied or maybe when the ban is lifted). And I can confirm that it isn't a random behavior, it happens everytime: when I ban someone he losts his avatar after he comes back from the ban!

I have checked the code, and tested it 5 times with different users and different scenarios.

I can't reproduce this, and, more crucially, there is nothing in the code that even touches the file system. The original avatar doesn't need to be touched because all this add-on does is look at a different URL when it's dealing with a banned member. When the member is no longer banned, it goes back to using the original URL.

I would be happy to take a closer look, though. To do that I would need FTP, PHP My Admin and Admin CP access.

Top Bottom