Spam Spam and More Spame

HoddzDJ

So I have had an xenForo install on my site since it was first released and there was never really a problem for spam. I thought I'd check it out, as I do every week, and noticed I now have 15,000 posts and nearly 600 members. 99% of this is all spam!

Is there an easy way to go through and remove it all and prevent it?

Install xenutiles and get API codes for the three services it uses (stopforumspam, botscout, fspamlist) to help curb new spammers signing up.. also change captcha to Q&A (or install keycaptcha).

To get rid of them, you'll have to do it one user at a time.. To delete their posts, delete the user and send the info to the spammer lists, click the 'spam' link under their post. You'll see a nice pop-up. Do that for each spam you see and you'll see that it is cleaning up pretty nicely. Even if its a different user, it will look for other users using the same IP.. I doubt there are 600 different IPs on there..

There are also some other spam-related posts recently.. we've all been forced to lock down a bit more lately..

A decent QA should stop 90% plus of it.
Use at least two questions (they rotate) and have the questions and answers be something any REAL user of your site might know, but that others might not.

Personally, I use manual activation......so I can look at each registrant. But the QA should do a pretty good job.

is there any way to block people from specific countries before they register? I'm currently getting spammers from Ukraine and Russia causing me grief - i wouldnt have a problem blocking the lot!!
Cheers...

Just looked and I have two Q&A's set but they seem to be getting past that, will have to add something a bit harder!

Just looked and I have two Q&A's set but they seem to be getting past that, will have to add something a bit harder!
Change your Q&A's often
this same topic has been posted at least 4 times now in the last few weeks.
The QA's is the main thing I use and we cut spam out completely.

Change your Q&A's often
this same topic has been posted at least 4 times now in the last few weeks.
The QA's is the main thing I use and we cut spam out completely.
What kinds of questions are good? Math ones are not some say? I used ones like "what is the power source for a computer?" "electricity".

What kinds of questions are good? Math ones are not some say? I used ones like "what is the power source for a computer?" "electricity".
I try to use ones that target my niche.
If your forum is about electronics, maybe a question like what is an resister type or something.. I know nothing about electronics..lol

I don't have a 'spam' link under any of the posts on my board. I'm currently running 1.1.2 is that makes a difference?
Check your spam settings in your admincp, there are some settings there that would make the "spam" link go away.. post count, likes etc..

Top Bottom