1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spam Spam and More Spame

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by HoddzDJ, Aug 28, 2012.

1. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

So I have had an xenForo install on my site since it was first released and there was never really a problem for spam. I thought I'd check it out, as I do every week, and noticed I now have 15,000 posts and nearly 600 members. 99% of this is all spam!

Is there an easy way to go through and remove it all and prevent it?
  2. kprojects

kprojects Well-Known Member

Install xenutiles and get API codes for the three services it uses (stopforumspam, botscout, fspamlist) to help curb new spammers signing up.. also change captcha to Q&A (or install keycaptcha).

To get rid of them, you'll have to do it one user at a time.. To delete their posts, delete the user and send the info to the spammer lists, click the 'spam' link under their post. You'll see a nice pop-up. Do that for each spam you see and you'll see that it is cleaning up pretty nicely. Even if its a different user, it will look for other users using the same IP.. I doubt there are 600 different IPs on there..

There are also some other spam-related posts recently.. we've all been forced to lock down a bit more lately..
    Toxic likes this.
  3. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

A decent QA should stop 90% plus of it.
    Use at least two questions (they rotate) and have the questions and answers be something any REAL user of your site might know, but that others might not.

Personally, I use manual activation......so I can look at each registrant. But the QA should do a pretty good job.
  4. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

Cheers for your help guys, I will get on the case, it's gonna take some time no doubt. Feel free to have a giggle if you like, the sheer amount is nuts!
  5. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

is there any way to block people from specific countries before they register? I'm currently getting spammers from Ukraine and Russia causing me grief - i wouldnt have a problem blocking the lot!!
  6. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

Just looked and I have two Q&A's set but they seem to be getting past that, will have to add something a bit harder!
  7. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

[FYI] The general consensus is to avoid questions with numeric Answers
  8. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

Thanking you! Must admit I didn't know that.
  9. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Sadik B likes this.
  10. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

Change your Q&A's often
    this same topic has been posted at least 4 times now in the last few weeks.
    The QA's is the main thing I use and we cut spam out completely.
  11. Shane Greer

Shane Greer Member

Holy shoot... your forum is just laden!!!
    HoddzDJ likes this.
  12. chrishill

chrishill Active Member

What kinds of questions are good? Math ones are not some say? I used ones like "what is the power source for a computer?" "electricity".
  13. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

14. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

15. Brandon Sheley

I try to use ones that target my niche.
    If your forum is about electronics, maybe a question like what is an resister type or something.. I know nothing about electronics..lol
  16. chrishill

chrishill Active Member

Yeah mine is about Minecraft, so I could try "what mob does thisssssss" "creeper" lol.
  17. Brandon Sheley

exactly :)
  18. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

I don't have a 'spam' link under any of the posts on my board. I'm currently running 1.1.2 is that makes a difference?
  19. Brandon Sheley

Check your spam settings in your admincp, there are some settings there that would make the "spam" link go away.. post count, likes etc..
  20. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

1. xenUtilities
    2. Q&A
    3. If all else fails: https://www.keycaptcha.com/
    I have several sites sitting at 1.1.2 and they all have xenUtilities installed. I find some spam, but not as bad as before. :)