1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Spam Cleaner fails (huge # of posts)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by LukeD, Sep 2, 2016.

1. LukeD

LukeD Member

I've a spammer that managed to create 152,000 threads. Trying to run the Spam Cleaner results in an out-of-memory error from mysql. We found this issue because the db crashed due to a 10gb temp table that I assume Spam Cleaner was creating trying to process this massive amount.

Other than using standard mod tools to delete 20 at a time, what other safe options are there to clean this out?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The spam cleaner isn't really designed to process that amount of data.
    Generally it would be expected that a spammer would be picked up before anywhere near that number of posts had been made.

Your only course of action is likely what you are doing - to manually delete a significant number of threads/posts before running the spam cleaner again.
    You can however do more than 20 at a time - you can use the Batch Update Threads function in the ACP to mass delete threads.
  3. LukeD

LukeD Member

Thanks Brogan, the Batch Update is exactly what I needed. A bit slow but at least I can set it up to do 200k at a time and walk away. :)