Spam Cleaner Doesn't Change Usergroup?

cmeinck

I've been making use the Spam Cleaner and just now noticed that it doesn't change the User Group to Banned. The account shows that it's banned at the top right, but the User Group drop down menu stays at Registered. Without edits, the spam links still appear in the signature. (I've edited my templates so that guests/search engines don't see the links).

Is this normal?

Screen shot 2011-03-18 at 5.54.02 PM.webp

Not sure if Mike's around still but essentially, there's no outward indication that a member has been banned.

Their user title stays the same and, if they have a high enough post count, they will still appear in the highest posting members block.

Of course there's nothing to stop anyone from manually changing the user title, or even moving them to a specially created Banned usergroup with a higher styling priority.

If you want to remove them from the highest posting list then you can change their status to Awaiting Approval.

Just out of curiosity, aside from the obvious benefits (not needing extra set of groups/permissions, etc), were there any other reasons you decided to use this method?
I've been curious as well. In vb there is the banned state and the banned user groups as far as I know. I know one person that has vb3.8 usergroup #23 set up for the banned group and it works fine.

Titles, permissions, etc could be handled either way.

I'd like to see banished members moved to a Banned user group. Let's say that a spammer PM spams and one member reports it. In vB, that member would be banned immediately. Now others who come across the PM spam would see their status as a banned user.

On the subject on banning, shouldn't their signature/homepage/information be automatically removed or made not visible upon banning.

Take this example. I've banned this user, yet his spam links all remain.

Screen shot 2011-03-21 at 7.46.06 PM.webp

I'd like to see banished members moved to a Banned user group. Let's say that a spammer PM spams and one member reports it. In vB, that member would be banned immediately. Now others who come across the PM spam would see their status as a banned user.

On the subject on banning, shouldn't their signature/homepage/information be automatically removed or made not visible upon banning.

Take this example. I've banned this user, yet his spam links all remain.

View attachment 12939
Same cmeinck while I understand
Banning is separate from user groups.
As a logic, since we can't apply conditions to members that match "Banned" then as admins we're stuck with straight deleting which isn't always the best plan.

I've raised this before but it seems to be getting overlooked: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/banned-users-still-in-members-list.11898/

I created a new forum the other day. My very first user (before I had even had a chance to finish setting things up), was a signature spammer (user who registers with multiple links to drug websites in their signature).

I banned them using the spam cleaner, but they still show up in the members list (at the top since there are no other users yet!!), and clicking on their profile shows their signature, completely with spam links!!

This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed by the core software - if a spam user is banner, we need to remove all reference to that user - especially their home page and signature from their profile that contain the spam links!!

From my moderators point of view, it would be easier if they could clearly see that this person has been moved into a banned group from the users forum profile or usergroup. I can understand that.

1.1. Beta 4 now has the option of automatically adding banned members to a usergroup.

Banned profiles are also unavailable to everyone except administrators.

Top Bottom