Spam/bot accounts

AppleAndMango

Hello!

I'm having quite a lot of accounts created that do not actually post threads or post on other members threads but instead an account is created and a link usually pointing towards another site selling drugs or supplements you know the usual stuff you'd see if a spammer/bot would post in a thread my problem is that I have to manually keep deleting these accounts rather than the accounts automatically being rejected is there anyway I can automate deletion or just reject the registrations?

Thanks!

Check Spam Management in the ACP, there are settings to reject registrations that meet certain criteria.
Make sure you are registered with Project HoneyPot and Akismet and filled in the details in this section.
Add key words into the spam phrases and change the setting to reject.

Depending on where the spammers are putting these links, you can set permissions accordingly (e.g. disallow profiles to be edited by newly registered users). Ultimately though if the spammer is a real person (and they increasingly are) then even if you minimise the number that get through you will still have to manually deal with a few.

I have accounts for every spam database in the control panel which are enabled where possible.

I think fiddling around with permissions will help, actually forgot I could control profile posting which I hope will help a lot.

Check Spam Management in the ACP, there are settings to reject registrations that meet certain criteria.
Make sure you are registered with Project HoneyPot and Akismet and filled in the details in this section.
Add key words into the spam phrases and change the setting to reject.

Depending on where the spammers are putting these links, you can set permissions accordingly (e.g. disallow profiles to be edited by newly registered users). Ultimately though if the spammer is a real person (and they increasingly are) then even if you minimise the number that get through you will still have to manually deal with a few.
I also have a large increase in spam lately. I just registered with HoneyPot but I can't find the API key on their website. What is it that I need to do/get in order to enter it in the Spam Management page? Thank you.

I also have a large increase in spam lately. I just registered with HoneyPot but I can't find the API key on their website. What is it that I need to do/get in order to enter it in the Spam Management page? Thank you.

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/httpbl_configure.php

"Copy your 12-character access key exactly as it appears above" its a 12 character part on that linj, the HTTP Blacklist once created and post it into the spam settings in XenForo.

Is where you need to go I believe. I have mine setup already so cannot see if its the correct page but it links to that.

IIRC it will show up to 'approve' things depending on your spam settings such as 'manual approval' but its been awhile since I had something show up so something else can answer that one.

Good job on the Askimet too! (This one can be monitored on the Askimet site I think?)

Yeah, it works really well for me after a couple of changes (check latest posts for those).

So the changes seem to be working for most part. I checked the spam logs and I can see the rejected spam threads. However the user was able to register and enter their spam link in the 'home page' profile. I also notice that they populate the location and occupation fields... Is there any way to tighten up the settings so these users are not able to register?

Yes, @Solidus has gotten a new way (not sure if its updated yet on the original link I gave you) to stop that stuff being posted on their homepage field if you check his thread again.

Top Bottom