XF 1.5 Some users not getting alerts

sgr

A lot of users are watching a thread on my forum and some are not getting alerts when a new post/attached file is posted on that thread. What could the reason be? They're all watching the thread..

A lot of users are watching a thread on my forum and some are not getting alerts when a new post/attached file is posted on that thread. What could the reason be? They're all watching the thread..

We ran into a similar problem on 1.5.7 -- and we're still not sure what the root cause is even after disabling addons. (still haven't moved to 1.5.8 yet, but soon probably)

Are you sure it's just the one thread? Ours seem to be random where watched thread alerts are not being registered in the xf_user_alert table in the DB and thus the users aren't getting the alerts for the threads they are watching.

Some users just don't notice but at least with my account, I click new posts and see threads I'm watching have been updated but I didn't get an alert for it. Originally, I thought Pushover may have triggered a problem, but taking that out of the equation didn't change anything.

While it doesn't break the board, it does leave some users out if they don't get the notifications they're expecting.

We ran into a similar problem on 1.5.7 -- and we're still not sure what the root cause is even after disabling addons. (still haven't moved to 1.5.8 yet, but soon probably)

Are you sure it's just the one thread? Ours seem to be random where watched thread alerts are not being registered in the xf_user_alert table in the DB and thus the users aren't getting the alerts for the threads they are watching.

Some users just don't notice but at least with my account, I click new posts and see threads I'm watching have been updated but I didn't get an alert for it. Originally, I thought Pushover may have triggered a problem, but taking that out of the equation didn't change anything.

While it doesn't break the board, it does leave some users out if they don't get the notifications they're expecting.

That is correct. There could be more threads. I checked the database for some users and they're not getting alerts despite watching those threads. The alerts aren't there in the xf_user_alert table. Alerts are vital!

I don't think 1.5.8's release notes mention fixing this. Is this even a confirmed bug from XF? Can anyone from the team comment on this? @Brogan or @Mike ? Thanks.

That is correct. There could be more threads. I checked the database for some users and they're not getting alerts despite watching those threads. The alerts aren't there in the xf_user_alert table. Alerts are vital!

Ok, this is helpful to me then if someone is having the same or at least similar issue. I'll go back and start from scratch, it's just hard to nail this down since it's really inconsistent.

Ok, this is helpful to me then if someone is having the same or at least similar issue. I'll go back and start from scratch, it's just hard to nail this down since it's really inconsistent.

Yeah. I just checked for two users who complained about not getting alerts. The xf_user_alerts table didn't have entries for it, even though xf_thread_watch shows they're watching. Plus it had entries for me getting the alert and not them, which is weird. This shouldn't be happening. Either it's a XF bug or some addon is causing it. Maybe we should share what addons we're using?

Here you go, this is my list from the site with issues:
Code:
Ads Manager
Conversation Essentials
CTA Featured Threads
Digital Point Better Analytics
Find Unanswered Threads
LiquidPro Simple Forms*
Live Update
Members Online
Moderator Essentials
Most Likes
Most Posts
Sidebar Position
Similar Threads
Special Avatar for Banned Members
Unread Post Count
URL Censor
User Essentials (Enhanced Version)
Xen Pushover
XenForo Enhanced Search
[AD] UI.X
[WMTech] - Sticky Multiple Account Info

All are mostly up-to-date with current releases, except ads manager, which has an update pending at the next maintenance day.
*self-maintained since author closed the business.

Edit: PHP is latest 5.5.x release (.36) and DB is MariaDB 5.5.48
Edit2: This is where I first noted the issue described. Pushover was new, but I don't think it was the cause. I just happened to find this issue when Pushover wasn't getting alerts which led me back to trace the alerts in the DB, which were missing! ;)

Last edited:
Nothing has changed in this code for quite some time. If it's down to not getting alerts from one thread, then the only potential cause I would be aware of is the "one alert until the thread is (fully) read" behavior, which is the expected behavior.

Reactions: ENF
Nothing has changed in this code for quite some time. If it's down to not getting alerts from one thread, then the only potential cause I would be aware of is the "one alert until the thread is (fully) read" behavior, which is the expected behavior.

Thank you - will make sure a thread is fully read in testing.

I've got complaints from 2 users. One of them is not receiving alerts from 2 threads which are being watched by that user. The other is not receiving alerts from one of those two threads, both being watched. This has been confirmed from the xf_user_alert and xf_thread_watch tables in the database. Not that in this case both these threads are started by the same user.. Could that be related? Users not getting alerts from posts or threads started by particular users..?

So it's not a case of just one thread. Users are going manually to the thread and reading it daily (and yes, fully) because they're not getting any alerts from them.

@ENF

List of addons used on the forum with issues:

Code:
Bb Codes & Buttons Manager
Bb Codes & Buttons Manager - Advanced Bb Codes