XF 1.5 Some users not getting alerts

sgr

A lot of users are watching a thread on my forum and some are not getting alerts when a new post/attached file is posted on that thread. What could the reason be? They're all watching the thread..

@sgr We use a lot, including some custom ones. But the ones on ENF's list that we use are:
  • Conversation Essentials
  • CTA Featured Threads
  • Digital Point Better Analytics
  • LiquidPro Simple Forms
  • Live Update
  • XenForo Enhanced Search
  • [AD] UI.X
I updated XenForo and Live Update, but I can't tell if it fixed it.

So, the addon the three of us have in common is LiquidPro Simple Forms..

Instead of looking for addons as the culprit, is it worth checking whether emails are being sent, but not recieved?

Sorry if this is an obvious and naive thing to ask, but see my post above, this was my issue - blacklisted IP

The alerts (as in, the ones in the forum) would take email issues out of the equation. If you don't get the alert--assuming nothing else has broken that--then the email won't be triggered either, so they're basically proxies for the same indicators.

Clarification question: are they watching the threads and supposed to get email alerts? Either when clicking Watch Thread or when they reply (via preferences)?

Nope. They're watching threads without receiving email notifications.

The table xf_user_alerts does not have the alerts it should, as per the threads watched in the xf_thread_watch table..

Last edited:
Just having a look. 2 users.

One with a subscribed thread count of 22, if I post, on the thread they get an alert.

The other with over 200 subscribed threads, no alerts.

Checked another thread, posted on it and an alert is created for the user with 200+ subscribed threads.

Checked ALL the alerts for the user (only had a few) and none of them are on the original thread they are not getting alerts for!

Pierce

Just having a look. 2 users.

One with a subscribed thread count of 22, if I post, on the thread they get an alert.

The other with over 200 subscribed threads, no alerts.

Checked another thread, posted on it and an alert is created for the user with 200+ subscribed threads.

Checked ALL the alerts for the user (only had a few) and none of them are on the original thread they are not getting alerts for!

Pierce

Check out the list of addons @ENF , @empire and I have posted. You got any in common?

What actions are you taking? Updating XF?

I'm trying to replicate the issue in a sandboxed environment before implementing Mike's advice for disabling all add-ons...

I dont have any, other than Enahanced search and callendar and similar threads by andyb.

Can you for test, go to the mail settings and untick this box(Only send watched content alerts/emails to users active in last X days):

upload_2016-6-20_21-41-18.webp

Let me know what happens(does it help).

I am not saying this is the cause/solution etc, just wondering does it change anything.

Pierce

I dont have any, other than Enahanced search and callendar and similar threads by andyb.

Can you for test, go to the mail settings and untick this box(Only send watched content alerts/emails to users active in last X days):

View attachment 136226

Let me know what happens(does it help).

I am not saying this is the cause/solution etc, just wondering does it change anything.

Pierce

I'll check it out, though I don't think there's a problem with the emails. Whenever an alert is generated, the email is sent (if the user allows it). The problem is that the alert isn't being generated where it should. Have you tried it, and did it help?

I'll check it out, though I don't think there's a problem with the emails. Whenever an alert is generated, the email is sent (if the user allows it). The problem is that the alert isn't being generated where it should. Have you tried it, and did it help?

The option is not just email it says alerts/emails.

Users who were not getting alerts are now and I'm confirming in the alerts table.

I dunno if this is somehow combined with being invisible mode.

It requires more of my time to fully understand but right now I'm happy with it.

Reactions: sgr
Top Bottom