XF 1.4 Social Integration Failure after Xenforo Upgrade

Ryan Nielson

I upgraded my forum to the latest release and now my social login does not work. I believe the problem was caused by an incorrect installation. When copying the update files, I failed to set the same read/write permissions and user on the replaced files (directories were done correctly). However, I didn't realize this until have running the installation, which was completed without errors. I've now adjusted the file permissions (admin.php, fb_channel.php, etc.), but the login still doesn't work. I cannot even run an integration test with Facebook nor Twitter. When I attempt to, I get a no data received error. I don't think I can re-perform the upgrade without re-installing Xenforo, which is not an option because I've got about 2M posts and many plugins/configurations. During this time, I also enabled memcache. There are no server errors logged in XenForo. Any ideas?

GET https://stratics.com/community/admin.php?tools/test-facebook&x=?/&%…I5SU_YXwQ0NnXvwj2iJWxoDduDUCgmxw5O8&state=1219ec96f8620f5eef439d55e44c1f6a net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Works for me.

I just registered an account at your site.
You just registered using Facebook, Twitter, or Google? Are you able to subsequently login? I had someone else create an account with one of those social sites, but then received an error trying to login. I am not able to login with them either.

The normal login works fine, as does Steam.

Yes, we changed two days ago. Afterward the social login had some issues, then I updated the app key information and used the social integration options and test features in the Xenforo Admin Control Panel to get things working again. Last night all logins were working. Then we took the server down at 11 PM and performed the upgrade.

Have you updated all of the URLs for the apps?

It's just that as far as I could tell, the Twitter app seemed like it was trying to return me to http://stratics.com which may explain the problems.

As well as making sure all of the apps have the correct URL, also make sure your board URL in the Admin CP > Options > Basic Board Information has also been set to https:// too.

I just verified the URL is correct in the ADMIN panel. I also repeated the Facebook Integration process using the correct URL and following this process: https://xenforo.com/help/facebook/. I receive the same error when running the Facebook integration test.

Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
Error code: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

https://stratics.com/community/admin.php?tools/test-facebook&x=?/&%…l-_24zoFA5ddFkFP4mx7tbG6RS3Ecu8&state=1ad6d619a1feba2c2cd423105b0722a9#_=_ Failed to load resource: net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Could this be an issue with the script that is calling for the Facebook, Twitter, or Google connection? Maybe when I messed up the upgrade, I also lost that script file or broke it somehow.

Can I somehow re-copy all the XenForo upgrade files to the directory, or revert to an older install?

Last edited:
A response like that generally indicates that PHP actually crashed -- an "empty response" isn't an empty page; it's no response whatsoever from the server. Unfortunately that does make it tough to debug but equally it's not something that XF should be able to cause (thus it's a level below XF). You may want to try restarting your web server (to deal with opcache issues).

I believe the message I'm getting is a result of the Twitter.php file in the XenForo Options folder:

?php

/**
* Helper for the Twitter option.
* @package XenForo_Options
*/
abstract class XenForo_Option_Twitter
{
public static function verifyTweetOption(array &$option, XenForo_DataWriter $dw, $fieldName)
{
if (!empty($option['enabled']))
{
if (!empty($option['via']) && !XenForo_Helper_UserField::verifyTwitter(array(), $option['via'], $error))
{
$dw->error($error, $fieldName);
return false;
}

if (!empty($option['related']) && !XenForo_Helper_UserField::verifyTwitter(array(), $option['related'], $error))
{
$dw->error($error, $fieldName);
return false;
}
}

return true;
}
}

I restarted Apache and Memcache and the error persists. There are no Apache or server errors associated with the login. I also tried turning off APC and Memcache and didn't have any luck. I believe that some type of error occurred during my upgrade due to not have the admin.php and other file permissions set correctly. Is there a way to revert to an older version, or re-install Xenforo without losing the database?

The only way to downgrade is by restoring from a backup.

Incorrect file permissions wouldn't cause the problems you are reporting, It is more than likely as Mike suggests.
However, if you want to rule out any file issues, you can upload the .zip file contents again.

The only way to downgrade is by restoring from a backup.

Incorrect file permissions wouldn't cause the problems you are reporting, It is more than likely as Mike suggests.
However, if you want to rule out any file issues, you can upload the .zip file contents again.
If I upload zip contents again, do I have to run the installation, or can I merge with the current files and directories? Is there a possibility I deleted necessary instructions by replacing a file instead of merging? I used the scp command to do an FTP upload.

In regard to PHP failing, do you have recommendations for additional items I could check?

Thanks

Top Bottom