Social Groups (XenForo 2.x.x)

Social Groups (XenForo 2.x.x) [Paid] 3.6.1

No permission to buy ($50.00)
Now, since I haven't come across anything else major that I don't think I can eventually figure out since documentation is light and terms are confusing....

Have you contemplated the ability to have the group calendars as set so that the general public can VIEW them but not edit them?
For my case use, it would be nice if the general public could see the group calendar and events that were listed for public consumption, and then have the group only events not be viewable by them.

may be.. but not helpful in what he asked about.
It seems that this is STILL an issue 2 years later? When I created a new discussion group for a club I set up.. guess what popped up at the bottom of my main nodelist?

View attachment 277489

I'm still reading through the 30 pages of discussion here (on page 11) to see if there is a fix to this or something that I missed in my setup.
I detailed in another post why that may be happening, since I cannot create a category from the "group nodes" that doesn't end back up in the main system nodes.

Jeezus H. Christ... this add-on is a hot mess.

I go and edit the discussion node above to NOT display in the nodelist... and now the damned thing is gone from the group discussion area. This is what shows up when I click on Discussions.. and yes, it showed up there BEFORE I made the edit to not display in the nodelist.

View attachment 277491

And yes, it ALSO shows up under the Nodes_Groups location

View attachment 277492

The ONLY way I've found so far to "get it back" is to delete the group, recreate the group, set up the discussion area and it goes right back to being listed in the main forum node.... so when you edit it to not be visible.... it goes adios as far as being able to click on it from the group screen. I have a pretty good idea what the issue is... but I'm going to leave that to you to fix since I paid for this add-on and don't feel it's my job to tell you how to fix its issues.

EDIT: ok..it WAS whatI thought it was... please, don't use "archive" in the manner you do in the add-on. Archival storage is just that... for OLD data that is no longer live. So yes, I did give you the answer that affected me.

BTW, where exactly is the support forum for this add-on at your site? The one for Social Groups for 2.x.x is closed for replies.
And I really don't want to talk bad... but even your site for support is a hot mess. It's EXTREMELY difficult to easily find the correct location to receive support for the add-ons from.
Suggestion... create a category for EVERY paid add-on that you have, create nodes under that for stuff like support, suggestions and whatnot.

View attachment 277493
This is where your link here directs a user to... kinda hard to get support in an area that's "Not open for further replies".

And I'm not even going to TOUCH but once upon the fact that the add-on you link to for support here is listed at $29 on your site, but $50 here.
For pricing: $50 for new user and $29 for existing user (renew license)

may be.. but not helpful in what he asked about.
It seems that this is STILL an issue 2 years later? When I created a new discussion group for a club I set up.. guess what popped up at the bottom of my main nodelist?

View attachment 277489

I'm still reading through the 30 pages of discussion here (on page 11) to see if there is a fix to this or something that I missed in my setup.
I detailed in another post why that may be happening, since I cannot create a category from the "group nodes" that doesn't end back up in the main system nodes.

Jeezus H. Christ... this add-on is a hot mess.

I go and edit the discussion node above to NOT display in the nodelist... and now the damned thing is gone from the group discussion area. This is what shows up when I click on Discussions.. and yes, it showed up there BEFORE I made the edit to not display in the nodelist.

View attachment 277491

And yes, it ALSO shows up under the Nodes_Groups location

View attachment 277492

The ONLY way I've found so far to "get it back" is to delete the group, recreate the group, set up the discussion area and it goes right back to being listed in the main forum node.... so when you edit it to not be visible.... it goes adios as far as being able to click on it from the group screen. I have a pretty good idea what the issue is... but I'm going to leave that to you to fix since I paid for this add-on and don't feel it's my job to tell you how to fix its issues.

EDIT: ok..it WAS whatI thought it was... please, don't use "archive" in the manner you do in the add-on. Archival storage is just that... for OLD data that is no longer live. So yes, I did give you the answer that affected me.

BTW, where exactly is the support forum for this add-on at your site? The one for Social Groups for 2.x.x is closed for replies.
And I really don't want to talk bad... but even your site for support is a hot mess. It's EXTREMELY difficult to easily find the correct location to receive support for the add-ons from.
Suggestion... create a category for EVERY paid add-on that you have, create nodes under that for stuff like support, suggestions and whatnot.

View attachment 277493
This is where your link here directs a user to... kinda hard to get support in an area that's "Not open for further replies".

And I'm not even going to TOUCH but once upon the fact that the add-on you link to for support here is listed at $29 on your site, but $50 here.
Thank you for reporting incorrectly link to support page. I have updated to new link; please go to this guide to setup forums in group: https://nobita.me/threads/basic-set-up-for-social-groups.1712/#post-10332

Also... you have the ability to "invite" a member... so I'm going to "assume" they have to be an existing member.
How about the ability to invite someone to the group via an email notification. Yes, the admin/inviter would have to have the other persons email.... but that's not totally unheard of in certain physical clubs.
When I saw that it had the ability to invite others... that was what I naturally assumed (and yes, I know what assume can do).
I can see where email invites could be abused...but they could also be a boon.

Frankly, no need a new option for that...

View attachment 277503
There is a difference between sharing a link and inviting someone from the "Invite" option that is readily displayed.

Which makes more sense... copy that link that you reflect THEN have to go out and create an email to a specific person to THEN include that link in it...
Or simply placing an email address in the below box?

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 9.11.16 AM.png

Remember... the WHOLE point is to make it easier to onboard members.

By your philosophy, I guess Google's calendar shouldn't be able to share an event with others directly. You should have to copy a link to it, then go out and create an email to that person with that link to the event in it.

Copy that link that you reflect THEN have to go out and create an email to a specific person to THEN include that link in it...
No, that's not how it works, you click on the mail icon and a pop-up from your mail software opens with the link directly in the body of the message. Don't overdo the process to solidify your idea.

Remember... 75% of forum visitors are on mobile, maybe not yours but the trend is that way, so click on this icon and sending an email only takes a few seconds... Even on a PC for that matter...

Remember... the WHOLE point is to make it easier to onboard members.
Well if sending an e-mail is a hindrance to onboarding new members then you're screwed.
Would you also like XenForo to handle phone calls? :X3:

Last edited:
No, that's not how it works, you click on the mail icon and a pop-up from your mail software opens with the link directly in the body of the message.
Considering I have NO mail applications associated with the mail-to link on any of my computers.. that's not how it works for me, nor at several of the sites I do support for. There is a security reason for us doing that.
So, yes, that is the way that it works if you have mail-to disabled on the computer system... which various companies do because the users of those computers have NO company email (and associated webmail/app access) and private use of email (ESPECIALLY web based) is prohibited on them. In fact, in two of the locations, all MS hotmail/live/outlook access, Gmail, YahooMail and a few more are blocked for web access. Even on the computer of the users that DO have company email, the ability of mail-to is disabled. Draconian? Yep, but none of them have been hit by malware/ransomware since the policy was implemented, and since it cost one of them about $17,000 to recover from an instance of ransomware, they feel it's worth it.

Well if sending an e-mail is a hindrance to onboarding new members then you're screwed.
Once more... there is a difference in manually having to send them, and automating/streamlining the process. Think outside the box... not everybody configures their computer like you do - see above as a perfect example. When you live in a limited scope of IT support experience.. you think limited, as apparent by your assumption that everyone has the ability to utilize the mail-to function that you highlighted...

Having the system itself send the invite would work across ALL platforms with a minimal user intervention required.

Last edited:
How can we make it so administrative user groups automatically be assigned a group owner? I find it odd that owner of the website can't do group owner actions like add forums and such.

How can we make it so administrative user groups automatically be assigned a group owner? I find it odd that owner of the website can't do group owner actions like add forums and such.
There is permissions in user groups. Did you set it?

There is permissions in user groups. Did you set it?
Yea I just checked again and the only one that looks like it is related is "Edit any groups" but it's already set and doesn't allow admin user group users to do things that group owners can do like add forums to their groups.

Top Bottom