Social Groups for XenForo

Social Groups for XenForo [Paid] 2.1.33 Patch Level 6

No permission to buy ($49.00)
There's the problem. My add-on doesn't uses the built in ad positions, it is a custom implementation which requires some template modifications. I can add some positions to support your add-on.
I've replied to the PC with the template name and the 6 positions you can do template modifications for adding your positions.

Reactions: rdn
Above/Below content advertising positions have been added to the group info/discussion/photo/event/member pages in the next release.

advert.webp

They already existed on the forum and media pages.

I have a "best practices" type question for initial setup.

I just installed the social groups, and in the settings it has place for selecting which categories groups can be created from. It also says that if none are selected, then groups can be created from any category or forum.

Is there a recommended practice here? Should I create specific categories for groups to be created in, or just let them be created from anywhere on the forum?

I have a "best practices" type question for initial setup.

I just installed the social groups, and in the settings it has place for selecting which categories groups can be created from. It also says that if none are selected, then groups can be created from any category or forum.

Is there a recommended practice here? Should I create specific categories for groups to be created in, or just let them be created from anywhere on the forum?
I've always suggested you create categories to hold your groups.

From the README.txt file included with the add-on:
* PREPARATION *
---------------
If you intend to allow users to create a forum for their groups, you should
create categories in the XenForo node list to hold the forums.

At the very least you should create one main category to hold other group
categories. IE:

Social Groups (main category)​
- Math (sub-category)​
- Science (sub-category)​
- History (sub-category)​

I've installed groups onto my forum. Looks fine on mobile, but looks like a disaster on my laptop. (using the latest chrome and firefox).

groups.webp

Any idea what may be causing this? I've tried reinstalling the add-on, default theme, etc...

I've installed groups onto my forum. Looks fine on mobile, but looks like a disaster on my laptop. (using the latest chrome and firefox).

View attachment 198733

Any idea what may be causing this? I've tried reinstalling the add-on, default theme, etc...
It looks like your advertisements might be causing the problem. Does it display correctly if you disable them?

If it does, what positions are you using for advertisements?

Which ones?

I just added in the "container contene: above".

Messed it up immediately.

Figured it out, though.

I was using my own responsive settings for various screen sizes to prevent large ads from showing up on mobile. Somehow, this is creating the conflict. I put in a default responsive ad unit and the problem corrected itself.

Great!

Note that there are some pages in the group system that won't display ads at this moment. The next release (which will be tomorrow) will show the ads on pages that are missing them.

These are the current known issues that are fixed in the next release:

EDIT: When I said tomorrow, I meant Monday. I'm a day ahead of myself. :(

Last edited:
Snog updated Social Groups for XenForo 2.1+ with a new update entry:

Social Groups for XenForo 2.x Update 2.1.10

An update to the Social Groups system for XenForo 2.x has been released. Those that have purchased this add-on, please log into your account on my site to download this update.
  • Fix - Right XF widget sidebar not showing on all group pages when configured for groups
  • Fix - Script to hide selections when creating a group not being loaded
  • Fix - Group owners able to create sub-forums without proper permission being set
  • Fix - Error under certain circumstances when user deletes...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi, i am concidering this addon and wonders if it is possible to attach files and images to a post in forums?

Hi, i am concidering this addon and wonders if it is possible to attach files and images to a post in forums?
Posting is a XenForo function that the group system doesn't modify. So, yes it is possible in a group forum.

Posting is a XenForo function that the group system doesn't modify. So, yes it is possible in a group forum.
Ok, i have this installed and so far so good.

Is it possible to make more than one level subforum? I want to let users have one group each and then organize things in subforums. I would need first level to be the placeholder... then subforums for content.

Ok, i have this installed and so far so good.

Is it possible to make more than one level subforum? I want to let users have one group each and then organize things in subforums. I would need first level to be the placeholder... then subforums for content.
Change "Maximum sub-forums" in Admin->Groups & permissions->Group settings to whatever you like.

Still i cant make a subforum child of another forum.
Erm... what i mean i would like to make this structure of a forum for a group:

Code:
Main Forum
    |- Child 1 of main
        |- Child of child 1
            |- Another level down
        |- Child child 2
    |- Another child of main

Is that possible at all? If not are you planning such functionality?

Is that possible at all? If not are you planning such functionality?
No that's not possible. And I don't have plans on adding that, but I will put it on the wish list.

You can have sub-forums of the main group forum but not a sub-forum of a sub-forum.

The general suggested layout is this...

Main Groups Category (category node to hold all other categories)
Group Category 1 (sub-category node which is selected when creating a group)​
Group 1 Main Forum (forum node created when creating a group)​
Group 1 Sub Forum 1 (sub-forum node created when creating a group sub-forum)​
Group 1 Sub Forum 2 (sub-forum node created when creating a group sub-forum)​
....​
Group 2 Main Forum (forum node created when creating a group)​
Group 2 Sub Forum 1 (sub-forum node created when creating a group sub-forum)​
Group 2 Sub Forum 2 (sub-forum node created when creating a group sub-forum)​
....​
Group Category 2 (sub-category node which is selected when creating a group)​
Group 3 Main Forum (forum node created when creating a group)​
Group 3 Sub Forum 1 (sub-forum node created when creating a group sub-forum)​
Group 3 Sub Forum 2 (sub-forum node created when creating a group sub-forum)​
....​
Group 4 Main Forum (forum node created when creating a group)​
Group 4 Sub Forum 1 (sub-forum node created when creating a group sub-forum)​
Group 4 Sub Forum 2 (sub-forum node created when creating a group sub-forum)​
....​

Last edited:
Is there a simple way to allow forum moderators to be able to moderate the groups as well?
Forum moderators are not group moderators, so no there isn't.

Group moderators are assigned to the group either by the group owner or a site admin and must be a member of the group they are assigned to.

Top Bottom