Social Groups for XenForo

Social Groups for XenForo [Paid] 2.1.33 Patch Level 6

No permission to buy ($49.00)
I was wondering if someone could explain the pros and cons - or the benefits of the "Discussion" vs "Forum" and threads. How are people using these, or are folks here turning one or the other off? Are these two functions making the other redundant? I have just uploaded this and I'm experimenting a bit with it and I'm looking for some tips.

Also, how are others here using this as opposed to having folks just post in the forum? What are people here finding beneficial to the plugin? :)
I've turned off discussions via permissions. Seemed redundant and it was confusing people.

Discussions are more or less watered down giant conversations. You can't attach files, or anything like that in them.

A group forum uses the full forum system built into XenForo for posts/threads.

Most people use the groups with forums. And they use the group system to keep off-topic things out of the main forums where they would be indexed by the search engines.

On one of my forums, it keeps adult content and politics out of the main forums. And people interested in those items can join the groups to see them. Otherwise, the contents of threads in the politics section are not visible to search engines or other users and the adult group forums are not visible at all unless you belong to the group.

Last edited:
Great - thanks! I ran my forum as a VB forum for years before switching to XF a little over a year ago. We had Social Groups there as well, but it was very limited. Your plugin for XF is amazing - and yeah, we used the social groups to keep off topic stuff out of the main forum, but this is much more versatile. Nice work!

Snog updated Social Groups for XenForo 2.1+ with a new update entry:

Social Groups for XenForo 2.1+ Update 2.1.12

An update to the Social Groups system for XenForo 2.1+ has been released. Those that have purchased this add-on, please log into your account on my site to download this update.
  • Fix - Hard coded phrase in admin group settings
  • Fix - Error when an unregistered user tries to access a private hidden group
  • Fix - Wrong name being displayed when viewing a group category
  • Fix - Error when an unauthorized attempt to delete a photo is made
  • Add - Option to display phrase as groups...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I got 3 of this error after updating my server to PHP 7.3.7.

PHP:
Server error log
ErrorException: [E_WARNING] preg_match() expects parameter 2 to be string, array given src/addons/Snog/Groups/Callbacks/Map.php:14
Generated by: User Jul 5, 2019 at 12:37 AM
Stack trace
#0 [internal function]: XF::handlePhpError(2, '[E_WARNING] pre...', '/home/nginx/dom...', 14, Array)
#1 src/addons/Snog/Groups/Callbacks/Map.php(14): preg_match('/<iframe src="h...', Array, NULL, 256, 0)
#2 [internal function]: Snog\Groups\Callbacks\Map::getMapCode(Array, NULL, Array, Array, Object(XF\BbCode\Renderer\SimpleHtml))
#3 src/XF/BbCode/Renderer/Html.php(295): call_user_func(Array, Array, NULL, Array, Array, Object(XF\BbCode\Renderer\SimpleHtml))
#4 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(61): XF\BbCode\Renderer\Html->renderTag(Array, Array)
#5 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(37): XF\BbCode\Traverser->renderSubTree(Array, Array)
#6 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(20): XF\BbCode\Traverser->renderAst(Array, Object(ThemeHouse\Giphy\XF\BbCode\RuleSet), Array)
#7 src/XF/SubContainer/BbCode.php(219): XF\BbCode\Traverser->render('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', Object(XF\BbCode\Parser), Object(ThemeHouse\Giphy\XF\BbCode\RuleSet), Array)
#8 src/XF/Service/Message/Preparer.php(284): XF\SubContainer\BbCode->render('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', 'simpleHtml', 'post:prepare', Object(XFMG\XF\Entity\Post))
#9 src/addons/XFMG/XF/Service/Message/Preparer.php(38): XF\Service\Message\Preparer->checkValidity('[MAP][ATTACH ty...')
#10 src/XF/Service/Message/Preparer.php(126): XFMG\XF\Service\Message\Preparer->checkValidity('[MAP][ATTACH ty...')
#11 src/addons/XFMG/XF/Service/Message/Preparer.php(11): XF\Service\Message\Preparer->prepare('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', true)
#12 src/XF/Service/Post/Preparer.php(98): XFMG\XF\Service\Message\Preparer->prepare('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', true)
#13 src/XF/Service/Thread/Creator.php(148): XF\Service\Post\Preparer->setMessage('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', true, true)
#14 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(545): XF\Service\Thread\Creator->setContent('noload sa globe...', '[MAP][ATTACH ty...')
#15 src/addons/SV/StickyAnyPost/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(15): XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->setupThreadCreate(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\Forum))
#16 src/addons/SV/MultiPrefix/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(19): SV\StickyAnyPost\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->setupThreadCreate(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\Forum))
#17 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(511): SV\MultiPrefix\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->setupThreadCreate(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\Forum))
#18 src/addons/SV/MultiPrefix/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(50): XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->actionDraft(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#19 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(321): SV\MultiPrefix\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->actionDraft(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#20 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(244): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Forum', 'Draft', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum), NULL)
#21 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(100): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum), NULL)
#22 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(50): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#23 src/XF/App.php(2177): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#24 src/XF.php(390): XF\App->run()
#25 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#26 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(17) "/forums/134/draft"
  ["referrer"] => string(47) "https://www.domain.com/forums/134/post-thread"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/forums/134/draft"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(12) {
    ["title"] => string(23) "thread title here"
    ["message_html"] => string(147) "<p>[MAP][ATTACH type="full" alt="641692"]641692[/ATTACH][/MAP][SPOILER="[MAP][ATTACH type="full" alt="641692"]641692[/ATTACH][/MAP]"][/SPOILER]</p>"
    ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "ff1f6130ece954991fff1f58d3ccfd5b"
    ["attachment_hash_combined"] => string(83) "{"type":"post","context":{"node_id":134},"hash":"ff1f6130ece954991fff1f58d3ccfd5b"}"
    ["tags"] => string(0) ""
    ["watch_thread"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfSet"] => array(1) {
    }
    ["poll"] => array(5) {
      ["question"] => string(0) ""
      ["new_responses"] => array(1) {
        [0] => string(0) ""
      }
      ["max_votes_type"] => string(6) "single"
      ["change_vote"] => string(1) "1"
      ["view_results_unvoted"] => string(1) "1"
    }
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(23) "/forums/134/post-thread"
    ["_xfWithData"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

I got 3 of this error after updating my server to PHP 7.3.7.

PHP:
Server error log
ErrorException: [E_WARNING] preg_match() expects parameter 2 to be string, array given src/addons/Snog/Groups/Callbacks/Map.php:14
Generated by: User Jul 5, 2019 at 12:37 AM
Stack trace
#0 [internal function]: XF::handlePhpError(2, '[E_WARNING] pre...', '/home/nginx/dom...', 14, Array)
#1 src/addons/Snog/Groups/Callbacks/Map.php(14): preg_match('/<iframe src="h...', Array, NULL, 256, 0)
#2 [internal function]: Snog\Groups\Callbacks\Map::getMapCode(Array, NULL, Array, Array, Object(XF\BbCode\Renderer\SimpleHtml))
#3 src/XF/BbCode/Renderer/Html.php(295): call_user_func(Array, Array, NULL, Array, Array, Object(XF\BbCode\Renderer\SimpleHtml))
#4 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(61): XF\BbCode\Renderer\Html->renderTag(Array, Array)
#5 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(37): XF\BbCode\Traverser->renderSubTree(Array, Array)
#6 src/XF/BbCode/Traverser.php(20): XF\BbCode\Traverser->renderAst(Array, Object(ThemeHouse\Giphy\XF\BbCode\RuleSet), Array)
#7 src/XF/SubContainer/BbCode.php(219): XF\BbCode\Traverser->render('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', Object(XF\BbCode\Parser), Object(ThemeHouse\Giphy\XF\BbCode\RuleSet), Array)
#8 src/XF/Service/Message/Preparer.php(284): XF\SubContainer\BbCode->render('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', 'simpleHtml', 'post:prepare', Object(XFMG\XF\Entity\Post))
#9 src/addons/XFMG/XF/Service/Message/Preparer.php(38): XF\Service\Message\Preparer->checkValidity('[MAP][ATTACH ty...')
#10 src/XF/Service/Message/Preparer.php(126): XFMG\XF\Service\Message\Preparer->checkValidity('[MAP][ATTACH ty...')
#11 src/addons/XFMG/XF/Service/Message/Preparer.php(11): XF\Service\Message\Preparer->prepare('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', true)
#12 src/XF/Service/Post/Preparer.php(98): XFMG\XF\Service\Message\Preparer->prepare('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', true)
#13 src/XF/Service/Thread/Creator.php(148): XF\Service\Post\Preparer->setMessage('[MAP][ATTACH ty...', true, true)
#14 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(545): XF\Service\Thread\Creator->setContent('noload sa globe...', '[MAP][ATTACH ty...')
#15 src/addons/SV/StickyAnyPost/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(15): XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->setupThreadCreate(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\Forum))
#16 src/addons/SV/MultiPrefix/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(19): SV\StickyAnyPost\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->setupThreadCreate(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\Forum))
#17 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(511): SV\MultiPrefix\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->setupThreadCreate(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\Forum))
#18 src/addons/SV/MultiPrefix/XF/Pub/Controller/Forum.php(50): XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->actionDraft(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#19 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(321): SV\MultiPrefix\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum->actionDraft(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#20 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(244): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Forum', 'Draft', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum), NULL)
#21 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(100): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Pub\Controller\Forum), NULL)
#22 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(50): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#23 src/XF/App.php(2177): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#24 src/XF.php(390): XF\App->run()
#25 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#26 {main}
Request state
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(17) "/forums/134/draft"
  ["referrer"] => string(47) "https://www.domain.com/forums/134/post-thread"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["/forums/134/draft"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(12) {
    ["title"] => string(23) "thread title here"
    ["message_html"] => string(147) "<p>[MAP][ATTACH type="full" alt="641692"]641692[/ATTACH][/MAP][SPOILER="[MAP][ATTACH type="full" alt="641692"]641692[/ATTACH][/MAP]"][/SPOILER]</p>"
    ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "ff1f6130ece954991fff1f58d3ccfd5b"
    ["attachment_hash_combined"] => string(83) "{"type":"post","context":{"node_id":134},"hash":"ff1f6130ece954991fff1f58d3ccfd5b"}"
    ["tags"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfSet"] => array(1) {
    }
    ["poll"] => array(5) {
      ["question"] => string(0) ""
      ["new_responses"] => array(1) {
        [0] => string(0) ""
      }
      ["max_votes_type"] => string(6) "single"
      ["change_vote"] => string(1) "1"
      ["view_results_unvoted"] => string(1) "1"
    }
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(23) "/forums/134/post-thread"
    ["_xfWithData"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

I'll check it out as soon as I can. What PHP version were you running? I would roll back to that for the time being.

Reactions: rdn
Really liking this add-on, well done creating it, it's very useful.

There is an admin option to "Show latest photos" in the group page, but there isn't an option to "Show latest media" on the group page, could this be added in ?

Do note though, that items on the wish list are not guaranteed to be added, they are there for future consideration. 🙂

Reactions: gib
So I have launched this plugin for the masses, and one thing that is happening is that when photos are uploaded in the Group Photos and have comments, all members are able to Edit and Delete anyone's photo comment. I must have missed something. Any ideas? The site is live so it would be great to have any answers right away :p

I seemed to have figured this out - I don't know if this is a bug or a conflict with another plugin. If I select "Non-members can view group photos " as "yes", anyone can edit the comments made on the photos. Having this unselected eliminates this problem. It would be great if someone could check this out. Thanks!

Top Bottom