In several type of groups. One has the setting:

This is a private group: Yes
This is a restricted group: No
Non-members can view thread contents: No

The other groups has the setting
Non-members can view thread contents: Yes
(But now after changing some usergroup settings, they even can answer in threads.. )

Are they members of the group they are trying to post in?

After changing several user groups settings, users now can reply to threads. But the thread was moved to the social group from another forum. (we moved to xenforo from vb5 and all group threads were imported as "normal forum threads"

And now the group owner tried to open a new thread in the group, but can not

Is there any error that comes up when they try to view or post a thread?

When trying to create a thread:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested page could not be found.

Thats the only error shown ....

And for answers in groups threads, there was written below each thread: you don´t have permission to answer here.... (or something like that)

In several type of groups. One has the setting:

Non-members can view thread contents: No

The other groups has the setting
Non-members can view thread contents: Yes
(But now after changing some usergroup settings, they even can answer in threads.. )

After changing several user groups settings, users now can reply to threads. But the thread was moved to the social group from another forum. (we moved to xenforo from vb5 and all group threads were imported as "normal forum threads"

And now the group owner tried to open a new thread in the group, but can not

When trying to create a thread:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
The requested page could not be found.

Thats the only error shown ....

And for answers in groups threads, there was written below each thread: you don´t have permission to answer here.... (or something like that)
I'm really quite confused about who can and can't post in the group for you.

So, I need to know one more thing...

Do ALL of your users have their primary user group set to 'Registered' and any other user groups they belong to are secondary user groups?

I'm asking because that is the primary determination for who can or can't access groups in the 2.0.x versions of the add-on. After that individual user permissions are set for each group member in the group's node permissions. Overall permissions are not user group based. And changing user group permissions so they can post in a group is not supported or suggested.

In other words, if they aren't members of the group, they should not be able to post in the group, especially if it's a private group.

I'm really quite confused about who can and can't post in the group for you.

Yes sorry.. its also a bit difficult to explain all of this in english.

Do ALL of your users have their primary user group set to 'Registered' and any other user groups they belong to are secondary user groups?

Yes, the "Registered" is primary user group for all users.

Yes sorry.. its also a bit difficult to explain all of this in english.

Yes, the "Registered" is primary user group for all users.
Ok, are the users that can't post in the social group forum users that have joined the social group? (if they have not, they should not be able to post in the social group's forum)

And are they listed in the Members tab for the social group?

Yes, they are members. And like I mentioned before: In one type of the group, even the group owner can´t create a new thread.

I have to say: there are just 3 groups at this time... and only in one of theses 3 groups threads can be created... :( but I can´t figure out why

Yes, they are members. And like I mentioned before: In one type of the group, even the group owner can´t create a new thread.

I have to say: there are just 3 groups at this time... and only in one of theses 3 groups threads can be created... :( but I can´t figure out why
I think the only way I'm going to be able to figure out what's wrong is to get access to your site.

If you can, send me a temporary admin user name and password along with the URL to your site by PC. Make sure the user has access to everything so I can look at settings, nodes, users, etc.

The problem above has been tracked down to another add-on. I've contacted the author of that add-on with information about what is causing the problem.

Last edited:
Snog updated Social Groups for XenForo 2.x with a new update entry:

Social Groups for XenForo 2.x Update 2.0.13

An update to the Social Groups system for XenForo 2.x has been released. Those that have purchased this add-on, please log into your account to download this update.

WARNING: If you are using the ThemeHouse UiX2 style, do NOT upgrade to this version until you have upgraded to UiX2 version 2.0.6.0.0
  • Fix - Group forum viewable without permission under certain circumstances
  • Fix - Account for node navigation setting in groups upgraded from XF1
  • Fix - Under some...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Upgrading from XF1 to XF2, Permissions are not retain or imported.
All I got is this:
That would be correct. That's why the README.txt file has this in the upgrade instructions...
5) Go to Admin->Groups & Permissions->User Group Permissions and set the Social Group permissions for all groups that you want
to be able to create or view Social Groups.
There are other things that need to be reset, check the README.txt file.

Reactions: rdn
Hey snog, slight issue with private groups and super admin -- I can access private groups without being a member of the group. I haven't tested whether a normal admin can access too... but as super admin, I can.

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 5.33.48 pm.webp

Hey snog, slight issue with private groups and super admin -- I can access private groups without being a member of the group. I haven't tested whether a normal admin can access too... but as super admin, I can.
As a super admin (or admin) you should be able to access all groups, private or not.

The only regular admins should be restricted from seeing "restricted" groups if they don't have the "Can view restricted groups" permission set for their user or user group, or private group content if they don't have the "Manage social groups" admin permission set.

I'll double check that before the next release.

Last edited:
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, version 2.1.0 of this add-on will be released on Monday.

The main changes are the removal of user level permissions from the group forums, the removal of the requirement that the normal XenForo permission format is used (all users must be registered) and the addition of support for XenForo Media Gallery.

Version 2.1.0 has undergone extensive testing on several sites for a couple of months, but that does not mean there isn't the possibility of something having been missed.

So, I'm issuing this WARNING now...
Once version 2.1.0 is released, BACKUP BOTH your site and your database before upgrading to version 2.1.0. If something should go wrong during the upgrade there will be no other way to restore back to version 2.0.x other than from your backup.

Call this a preemptive warning for your safety. The same warning will be in the update description and in a notice in the zip file. ;)

Last edited:
I am back with more suggestions lol!
  • Age Restriction for groups option!
  • Group Media Tab: ( Excellent for Gaming Groups to show off their videos.) (Excellent for Photography groups etc....)
  • Group Leader Boards! ( Most post, Most likes, Most Resources etc....)
  • Group member of the month! ( Can be set by Group owner or moderator of that group.) Or ( Top members widget )
  • Group member of the year:
  • Donation to group admin! ( One way members can give back to a Admin who is promoting and running their group exceptionally well.)
  • Feature groups for their group forum posting activity. ( This would take CTA Feature Threads add-on x2 http://prntscr.com/gk43iz )
  • Group Resources: ( Members can upload resources and download resources if they are a group member.)
  • Duration of time to be a member before you can actually download Resources.
  • Affiliates/Partner Groups: (This way you can promote your other groups, or a friends group.)
  • Group Reporting: ( Members can report a group to site admin for unfair acts.)
  • Moderation Warning System for Groups: ( To many warning or reports against a group can Lock the group for a certain amount of time.)
  • Group Rules and regulations Tab: (Separate from Group description)
  • Visitors: a list of site members who visited your group page.
  • Newest Group Members:
  • Group Profile Tab ( a way to showcase all of the groups you are apart of.)
  • Reason for leaving group: ( Helps Group owners understand why members are leaving. Force members to leave a reason before leaving. )
  • Reason why you would like to join group: ( Optional Request by Group owner, because he / she may or may not want that option for new members)

Keep up the great work with this Add-on.
Do you still have this post booked marked to implement some of these features into the add-on?

Do you still have this post booked marked to implement some of these features into the add-on?
Yes I do.

Age restriction is achieved by user group settings and restricted group view permissions.

Some of those were already implemented in 2.0.x, such as the popular group list. The group media tab has been added in 2.1.0.

Others may or may not be added. The main priority of the 2.1.0 version was to have what I've listed done and operational.

Attachments

• groupops.webp
    groupops.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 7
Yes I do.

Age restriction is achieved by user group settings and restricted group view permissions.

Some of those were already implemented in 2.0.x, such as the popular group list. The group media tab has been added in 2.1.0.

Others may or may not be added. The main priority of the 2.1.0 version was to have what I've listed done and operational.
When i upgrade to X2 i wll be getting this add-on first.

For those interested, the new version has been running on my site for quite some time without the Media Gallery being installed.

If you want to see the gallery interface for groups, I've installed Media Gallery and activated a media area in two groups. It's active in General Chit Chat and the Group System Test groups.

If you're a member of one or both of those groups, you should also see a Random group media sidebar widget on my site's main page.

https://snogssite.com

For those interested, the new version has been running on my site for quite some time without the Media Gallery being installed.

If you want to see the gallery interface for groups, I've installed Media Gallery and activated a media area in two groups. It's active in General Chit Chat and the Group System Test groups.

If you're a member of one or both of those groups, you should also see a Random group media sidebar widget on my site's main page.

https://snogssite.com
After testing out the groups add-on, I have a few suggestions.
On Members profile pages in the Profile tabs section, would be nice to have a Groups tab that goes there. It would be an awesome way for you to keep track of all the groups you are in, and give you easy access to entering those group pages from your profile page. Also allows visitors to your profile page to see what groups you are apart of and give them incentive to join those groups. Also allow members to leave those groups from their profile page option would be nice as well.

One feature i did not see was a resource upload and download feature. Would be nice to have group members upload lets say GFX pack for an Adobe photoshop design group. What about a music groups having the ability to upload original music as a resource for that specific group to download.
I did not see a Group Banner as i surfed thru and joined groups.
ss3-png.157631

The picture with the girl in the center of the group.
I also was not able to create a group to test out the group admin features, and try to upload a Banner to test that feature out as well.

Side note: I don't know if it was just me or what, but the group add-on just didn't make me feel like i was joining some thing meaningful. I think it was because of the colors of your site compared to the sample images you have for this add-on, or the fact it did not have the Big banner for the test groups created on your site.

Top Bottom