Social Groups for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

3 other questions:

Can group forums have their own permissions so that only the organizer and moderator(s) can create threads in them?

When a user joins a specific group (either public or they were approved by group organizer), is there any way to automatically add them to a custom assigned usergroup as well? If not, can you add this?

When a user joins a group, is there any way to automatically make them watch the group forums? If not, can you add this?

Last edited:
3 other questions:

Can group forums have their own permissions so that only the organizer and moderator(s) can create threads in them?

No. All members of a group can post in a group forum.

When a user joins a specific group (either public or they were approved by group organizer), is there any way to automatically add them to a custom assigned usergroup as well? If not, can you add this?

No, usergroups are not used for group members. Individual user permissions are used.

When a user joins a group, is there any way to automatically make them watch the group forums? If not, can you add this?

This already happens automatically.

Is the automatic watching alert based or email based and can that be customized?

P.S. You have me sold. I'm buying it later today (woke back up to check if question was answered).

Last edited:
Is the automatic watching alert based or email based and can that be customized?

P.S. You have me sold. I'm buying it later today (woke back up to check if question was answered).
For forums, it is the standard alert system built into XenForo. So however you and the member have that set is how alerts are sent.

@Snog, i registered on your website to test out the group addon but it wont let me create a social group. Can you enable that for my user? (my username is Ruok2bu)

How do i create categories that have images (images in same shape as social group)?

Is there any pagination for groups in categories? How many display per page?

Is there a limit to how many group photo's can be uploaded? Does it use the attachment system to figure out the limits (image size/dimensions)?

Also, can you add a link to the main group page that quickly takes group owners to any groups they're the owner of? (all the groups display on their own page). If the user doesn't own any groups, then the link shouldn't display.

Last edited:
How do i create categories that have images (images in same shape as social group)?

Those are admin only functions. Categories are XenForo node categories. And uploading images for them is restricted to admins.

Is there any pagination for groups in categories? How many display per page?

No there isn't. But you have a good point and I'll put it on the wish list for the add-on.

Is there a limit to how many group photo's can be uploaded? Does it use the attachment system to figure out the limits (image size/dimensions)?

There is no limit to the number of photos that can be uploaded.

It does not use the attachment system.

Also, can you add a link to the main group page that quickly takes group owners to any groups they're the owner of? (all the groups display on their own page). If the user doesn't own any groups, then the link shouldn't display.

I'll put this on the wish list for the add-on.

Can you also put group photo limits on the wish list too? We can end up with the case where avid photobugs completely fill up all available hard disk space (which is doable, i know one who took 2000 photo's in a single day).

Can you also put group photo limits on the wish list too? We can end up with the case where avid photobugs completely fill up all available hard disk space (which is doable, i know one who took 2000 photo's in a single day).
I'll put it on the wish list, but this one won't be a priority. Except for the number of attachments in a single post, XenForo itself does not limit the number of attachments that can be uploaded by a user. So the same thing can happen in multiple posts from a single user.

I have 3 more suggestions for the wish list:

• When users join a social group (or are accepted), they're also put in a custom usergroup (which is set during group creation/edit by the admin). If the user leaves the social group or is removed by group owner, then they should also be removed from the custom user group.
  • A search feature which only allows searches for group names or categories which works separate from Xenforo's search system (so results from forums dont pollute group searches).
  • Add WYSIWYG editor to group information editor.
*The first suggestion is useful for giving members of some groups custom permissions (for example larger attachment file sizes).

Last edited:
I have 3 more suggestions for the wish list:

• When users join a social group (or are accepted), they're also put in a custom usergroup (which is set during group creation/edit by the admin). If the user leaves the social group or is removed by group owner, then they should also be removed from the custom user group.
  • A search feature which only allows searches for group names or categories which works separate from Xenforo's search system (so results from forums dont pollute group searches).
  • Add WYSIWYG editor to group information editor.
*The first suggestion is useful for giving members of some groups custom permissions (for example larger attachment file sizes).
As I said before, user groups are not used for group members. Also, groups can be created by regular members on many sites and setting a user group doesn't seem to be something admins would want users doing. But, I'll put this it the wish list.

Searching group names would be fairly easy, but I don't think searching categories is a small undertaking. The categories are actual XenForo node categories, so I'm not sure what it would take to filter them down to only group categories.

The editor is already on the wish list.

EDIT: Also please note that there is no guarantee when or if a wish list item will be added.

Last edited:
I have a bug to report, uploading group avatar doesnt change avatar displayed in group (its not a permissions issue either as i can upload avatar in xenforo/attachment fine).

I have a bug to report, uploading group avatar doesnt change avatar displayed in group (its not a permissions issue either as i can upload avatar in xenforo/attachment fine).
I can't duplicate this.

Do you have 'Display Groups Style' set to 'Avatar' in the add-on options?

Are you getting any errors when you upload the avatar?

Last edited:
I have 'Display Groups Style' set to 'banner'.

I thought that group avatar changes your user avatar to a custom avatar for the group. If it doesnt do this, then that option should be disabled when anything but avatar is selected in options.

I dont get any errors either.

Also, i noticed some difference in appearance with the forum display on your site and mine. Yours displays sub-forums below the group info and individual posts are displayed with the normal postbit. On mine, it doesnt look like that at all (no sub-forum below and individual sub-forums are unselectable and postbit looks more like resource comment postbit)

I have 'Display Groups Style' set to 'banner'.

I thought that group avatar changes your user avatar to a custom avatar for the group. If it doesnt do this, then that option should be disabled when anything but avatar is selected in options.

I dont get any errors either.

Also, i noticed some difference in appearance with the forum display on your site and mine. Yours displays sub-forums below the group info and individual posts are displayed with the normal postbit. On mine, it doesnt look like that at all (no sub-forum below and individual sub-forums are unselectable and postbit looks more like resource comment postbit)
No, the group avatar is for the group image not your user avatar. It's not disabled because when you upload an avatar it changes the forum icon to that avatar.

I would have to see what you mean with the group forums. Nobody else seems to have that problem and I can't even picture it.

It does sound like you might be looking at a group discussion rather than a group forum.

Yes thats what i mean. I can see the group discussion tab and the discussion details, but i cant view any group forums; even though i made 3 for my group.

Yes thats what i mean. I can see the group discussion tab and the discussion details, but i cant view any group forums; even though i made 3 for my group.
Without being able to go through the motions of getting into a group on your site, I'm going to guess you don't have 'Use Both Navtab and Node List' checked in the add-on options. Checking that takes you to the group's forum when you click on the group.
Check this box to show groups in both the navigation tab and node list.
This is a hybrid display of groups in the navigation tab. When the navigation tab is clicked, the group display will show. When someone clicks on a group, they will be taken to the forum node for that group.

I suppose I could word that a little better. ;)

Top Bottom