So whats next (after v1 final)

Adam Howard

I would imagine it would be bug fixing the small bugs others will find. But over all, what do you think they should work on next or will work on next?!

I'm hoping for an official blog or bridge. While I know the majority maybe hoping for a CMS.

A serious learning curve in the styling areas ToDie4?? The color palette feature allows kids to change a whole style in seconds. The style properties are pretty easy to understand for any CSS-noob, the actual CSS being in templates in the ACP and linked with a tabbed navigation to the html-templates where it is used, makes it easy to style for any style professional. XF has one of the easiest to use/learn style/template systems I have ever seen.

But you have to allow yourself to get used to it when you've been using other software for years, that's to be expected with any new script.

On-topic: I think they should focus on the important and most wanted (basic) features still missing, forget the small, less important things, they can be done with add-ons.

Personally, I am hoping the guys take it steady and continue to produce superb quality rather than heaps and heaps of junk in one go, XenForo stands out in a BIG WAY because it's being developed with great care and attention to detail, so yeah, I'm hoping for a continued level of quality, I'm good with what ever direction the guys feel the software needs to go.
This is my thoughts exactly. I have full confidence they wont walk into the same traps as vBulletin did with the bloatware called 4.x *shudder*

If you try and style XenForo with nothing but CSS, it is not far off being as hard as vB4 (believe me, I tried :p)

The style properties are amazingly handy, even if only for the colour palette and a few other things that can't be done easily/globally in plain CSS.

A roadmap is reasonable to ask for. Not the whole business plan but a sense of what's to come, for planning purposes. If you like this idea, then like this post!

They're a new company and they only just released their 1st official version. So I do not expect them to be going in all guns blazing and I can respect them taking some time to "tweak" what they already have and improve upon it. So I do not expect a full and very detailed plan, but a simple layout of ideals would be nice.

I just realized this but it's also probably not a good idea to say what their future plans are at the this point in time as a certain company may decide to try and claim that they were going to do it first.

Already enough trouble with them as it is, don't need to give them any more fuel.

I just realized this but it's also probably not a good idea to say what their future plans are at the this point in time as a certain company may decide to try and claim that they were going to do it first.

Already enough trouble with them as it is, don't need to give them any more fuel.

Why not.... you have to think ahead of them... if you know what I mean. ;)

The thing is, after seeing VB doing a road map and seeing the public's reaction to it (especially when they couldn't make half of the deadlines) do you really think that the xenforo team want to go down the same path? There was a time were people were constantly asking 'were is xxxx, where is xxxx'. At least with xenforo there is no solid plan and while that will infuriate a lot of people at least the developers are getting some peace to be able to do the job. VB has a large team and yet they struggled both development and communicating to masses effectively, xenforo staff have to do the same with just a few people and a lawsuit on thier hand.

While I understand if some folk NEED information for their business, but I think having a solid plan made public would actually make things worse from a release standpoint.

I'm waiting for them (XenForo) to finally place a blogging system. Its one of the things my community uses. Once that happens... I've got a nice, long, letter for vBulletin (Internet Brands).

Yes. I really can not depend on a 3rd party developer. Modifications seem to come and go, no matter what product you buy into (vBulletin, IPS, XF, ect.....). It's the core I need to be working and stable.

I think the community should create addons and if a coder drops support, then someone else would just continue it or make something very similar. I do not every recall Onimua ever creating something this complex (does not seem that XenForo has a difficult learning curve as people seems to made it to be).

The other (new) product (vbs) seems a headache to want to learn and or create simple styling. What would be the point of coders creating modifications?. If all the major addons were introduce into core product, then you get a division of people who do not want bloat. I myself would rather see forum just evolve and not add 'FAD' coding. (ex. tiny_mce changes to bigger_mce... bug swatter to bug sprayer... evolve without addding the next hype).

I'm for keeping things fairly simple and keeping un-needed junk out. But community software should support a blogging system. It should be something that is optional, for those who do not want it. But something developed and supported by the core development, as not to leave everyone depend an a "maybe". Modification came and go, but the core system for any community software typically remains.

Until such a system is in place. I'm sadly stuck with vBulletin or maybe forced to some day switch to Invision Powered.

... I do not every recall Onimua ever creating something this complex (does not seem that XenForo has a difficult learning curve as people seems to made it to be). ...

That's because I never did. ;)

XenForo isn't difficult if you know what you're doing, especially if you have worked with OOP and MVC setups. I attempted personal projects with vBulletin but never got it far enough to turn it into something worthwhile. XenForo is a different story, but there are struggles with it once in a while but it all comes down to learning how the new system works and once you do, it all makes sense.

Top Bottom