So I Had My First Accident

Amaury

Technically.

People were driving in the middle of a parking aisle and I was trying to get by and sideswiped a parked truck.

Thankfully, it was just the bumper. I got out and didn't see any damage on the truck, so I just left. However, there's a black line from the bumper on the side of our car, which will hopefully wash off.

lol. That's no accident.

THIS was an accident:

upload_2014-8-2_19-57-0.webp

Leaving the scene of an accident you cause without leaving your details is a crime.
That is indeed correct. I had a friend who did exactly this, even though there appeared to be no damage. He was reported (I think by the owner of the car) and ended up in court.

I guess we'll see, but I didn't see any damage and had nothing to write on, so there was not much I could do.

You should of waited for them to come back or even asked someone around for something to write with.

My girlfriend for whatever reason has bad luck, two different times in different locations we've gone into the store and come back out with the first time: front driver fender completely destroyed, second: rear passenger fender.

Once someone does it to you I'm sure you'll make more of an effort to leave your info or wait :D.

That is indeed correct. I had a friend who did exactly this, even though there appeared to be no damage. He was reported (I think by the owner of the car) and ended up in court.

I've had an innumerable amount of near misses since I started driving on January 31, 2009 while actually on the road (people cutting me off, slowing down suddenly, etc.), so who would have thought that my first "accident" would be with a stationary vehicle...?

I honestly just didn't know what to do. It was my first time, and I was a bit scared, but that's not why I left. I left because I couldn't see any damage. When I read about hit and runs, I always think of people hitting a vehicle and then just speeding off and not even getting out to inspect the damage. I got out to inspect the damage. However, I guess I've been thinking wrong.

Only time will tell, I guess. My mom can't really afford a ticket, but I guess if she gets a ticket (it's her car), she gets a ticket and we'll deal with that if that point comes.

Once someone does it to you I'm sure you'll make more of an effort to leave your info or wait :D.

We had something close happen. During winter 2009 - 2010, when my mom picked me up from school, we were driving home and some high school girl that was following us too close for the conditions slid into us because she hit a patch of ice with water on it (it snowed and froze the previous day and then the next day it suddenly warmed up), the same spot my mom hit and almost couldn't get stopped at a four-way stop.

Edit: I forgot to mention this, but my mom and the girl exchanged information and my mom called the girl later to let her know what the damage was, but all the damage was was a small dent in the bumper, and my mom didn't do anything because she's not the type of person to get worked up over something as small as a small dent on the car.

Last edited:
Go to your local station and report it, say you didn't have a pen / paper handy to write down the reg.

That way you're at least covering your bases if for whatever reason they do find out it was you.

Go to your local station and report it, say you didn't have a pen / paper handy to write down the reg.

That way you're at least covering your bases if for whatever reason they do find out it was you.

Thank you, Slavik. Your advice is appreciated.

I'll go with my mom when I pick her up from my aunt's later (hopefully they're open).

Edit: I called my mom, and she said they're not open on weekends, but she said we that we'd try calling the help line when I get her later, as that's always available. :)

Last edited:
Hey at least your first accident was a small one, mine involved my car being a category A write off (look it up :D)

Sideways car vs wall.

It was a tie. They had to knock down the entire wall and rebuild it from scratch.

The report on the damage to the car was like 10 pages long and had various interesting adjectives "shattered" axles, "crushed and twisted" gearbox, "mangled" steering column.

I walked away with minor whiplash and a slightly swollen finger where the airbag caught it as it deployed.

Sideways car vs wall.

It was a tie. They had to knock down the entire wall and rebuild it from scratch.

The report on the damage to the car was like 10 pages long and had various interesting adjectives "shattered" axles, "crushed and twisted" gearbox, "mangled" steering column.

I walked away with minor whiplash and a slightly swollen finger where the airbag caught it as it deployed.

Glad your injuries were minor.

Even though they're very expensive, walls and vehicles can be replaced, but lives can't.

I should clarify, because after talking my mom again, it seems I was using the wrong terms.

I only swiped the truck's rear bumper, and I know this from the black marks on the side of the car, which my mom said isn't nearly as bad. She thought I actually sideswiped the vehicle all along the side.

Last edited:
I should clarify because after talking my mom again, it seems I was using the wrong terms.

I only swiped the truck's rear bumper, and I know this from the black marks on the side of the car, which my mom said isn't nearly as bad. She thought I actually sideswiped the vehicle all along the side.

Regardless its still an accident and should be reported.

Being blunt and to the point, damage is still damage. It's a bit like saying I didn't really assault you because I didn't leave any visible scars at the time. It could (although probably not) be as expensive to repair a plastic bumper as polishing out a scuff from paintwork.

I'm just passing opinion generally not judging you. With my record of bouncing cars off other cars, walls, ditches, fields and so on I really can't pass judgment on others driving :whistle:

Sideways car vs wall.

If you are gonna do it, do it right huh... lolz :P

Regardless its still an accident and should be reported.

Being blunt and to the point, damage is still damage. It's a bit like saying I didn't really assault you because I didn't leave any visible scars at the time. It could (although probably not) be as expensive to repair a plastic bumper as polishing out a scuff from paintwork.

I'm just passing opinion generally not judging you. With my record of bouncing cars off other cars, walls, ditches, fields and so on I really can't pass judgment on others driving :whistle:

Yeah, still going to report it. It's just not as bad as I made it seem to be. :)

Top Bottom