1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had my first spam bot today!

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Rho Delta, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

xF has had a really good track record, I have been running 2 forums for months without a single spam bot but one finally showed up. Hopefully this isn't the start of a flood of them (they were the reason I got so fed up with SMF 2.0). Anyone else see any spam bots?

alexD likes this.
  2. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Are you using Q&A's on the registration page?

3. principia

principia Well-Known Member

Yes, this is the answer. After switching from light questions to really hard ones, i got no spam since then.

4. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

I think I am only using recaptcha, I will check out the Q&As

5. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Pretty sure recaptcha was broken/cracked awhile ago, I'd highly recommend using Q&A's.

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Well made Q&A's can stop them a ton, except you'll still get those pesky human spammers ;p

7. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

What I've realized is that all the spammers registered are actually human beings who are paid to spam the forums. :mad:

8. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

The newer revised RECAPTCHAs have proven a bit more difficult to crack. Google has been adding inverted shading to the RECAPTCHA

9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That has been the case for some time.

Which is why pre moderation works so well :D

http://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/