XF 1.2 So how does the TM work?

Code Monkey

I added a simple template modification that I am using on my 1.1.5 site with TMS to the 1.2 Template modifier and it doesn't work. It says compilation error. Yet when I hit the test button it shows it as working.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Footer

Find
Code:
</div>
</xen:hook>

Replace
Code:
<div id="footBlock">
    <div class="pageWidth">
        <div class="pageContent">
            <span class="helper"><xen:if is="@xeno_fluid"><xen:include template="xeno_fluid_text_resizer" /></xen:if> </span>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>

</div>
</xen:hook>

error

Code:
footer    Master Style    Compiler error (may be from another template modification)    -
footer    XenoMorph Framework    Compiler error (may be from another template modification)

It's not actually showing an error for the xenfracture template I am using. Those two above are not selectable so I figured that may be why for them.

The "xeno_fluid" property won't exist in the master, so your if tag will be invalid -- the same thing would happen if you tried to edit the master template manually. You could do "{xen:property xeno_fluid}" explicitly, though you're still making a modification that depends entirely on a single style.

Given what you're doing, you should just make a child style of the XenoMorph framework and use the merging tools to bring in updates when necessary.

I am trying to edit the child of the xenomorph framework. It doesn't show up in the error list but it doesn't display either. Why is there no style specific choice for this anyway?

Think of the TM System as more of a developer's tool for creating add-ons.

This is relevant:

The whole mentality of "TMS is essential because I can't edit templates" is now void.

It's pretty safe to make template edits directly, now. Even editing CSS can now be done directly instead of using EXTRA.css.

The new template diff merge system is awesome. So. Use template edits.

Where you can't use template edits, of course is for add ons. Which is why the TM system is very important still.

I took this bit out and it works so that code must have changed.

Code:
<span class="helper"><xen:if is="@xeno_fluid"><xen:include template="xeno_fluid_text_resizer" /></xen:if> </span>

I took this bit out and it works so that code must have changed.

Code:
Where did you see that code? In the framework or xenFracture? I have eliminated the fluid text feature from the framework in 1.2 (it was never fully implemented) and thought I got rid of all references to it in the templates.

yeah. I was trying to do a template replacement in the new version that I did in the old and thus the error. All fixed now that I realize you changed some stuff. I'm a little slow right now with a muscle torn in my shoulder. Pain is clogging my brain. lol

@Mike

This is just a thought... Is the 3 way merging system worth an additional HYS with an emphasis on getting people into the mentality that template edits are no longer taboo?

I know you're busy enough but it could be useful :)

I agree.

But no one seems to understand its significance. Too many people still find editing templates to be something they shouldn't do, and think they need the TM system for it.

Top Bottom