XF 1.1 Smilies as CSS Sprites

With XenForo 1.1, it's now possible to (optionally) define individual smilies from a sprite image. This video shows you just how easy it is to use the system.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry to bother you guys again :whistle:
I have upgraded my forum from XF 1.0.4 towards XF 1.1

I have checked the smilies, but it seems those are still single images for each smiley.
How do I update towards the smiley-sprite-image ?

Many thanks!

Select the database from the left hand side.

Click on the Import tab and browse to the file on your PC.

Or click on the SQL tab and paste the queries into the window.

Make sure you truncate (empty) the table first though using this query:
Code:
TRUNCATE TABLE xf_smilie;

Then edit and save a smiley to update the cache.

Select the database from the left hand side.

Click on the Import tab and browse to the file on your PC.

Or click on the SQL tab and paste the queries into the window.

Make sure you truncate (empty) the table first though using this query:
Code:
TRUNCATE TABLE xf_smilie;

Then edit and save a smiley to update the cache.

thanks, but this is too complicated for me...... I will leave it as is.

It's a little awkward (in my opinion), to see the preview of the image just floating to the right.
I actually prefer image manipulation such as on sites like Facebook--where the whole image is shown, and the "current image" part is completely visible and other parts are darkened out. Also, allowing for "dragging the image" to that position you want, and then updating the values of the spinbox.

Would this be possible eventually?

Why not serve all images as sprites? That would save an insane amount of page load.

The more smilies that are added within the spritesheet saved out in png-8 the chances are you'll start loosing quality (I can see it already in the current spritesheet) I understand why the devs ddd this but let's say I add more with more colour variations you'll definitely start seeing the smilies look rougher around the edges and colours looking washed out.

Then if you use png-24 you need to balance that out whether quality takes priority or kb.

And that is just one issue you can face with all smilies. You throw everything icons, images, smilies on png-8 spritesheet and you'll def see a loss in quality.

It's really a juggling act, one way you can go around it results in a compromise and vice versa. It's down to what way you wish to get around it. Regardless of that, you could actually throw everything on a sheet yourself and re-arrange the coordinates smilies, nodeicons, xen ui icons. Nothing really stops people from taking and/or going down this route.

Most people are not able to do that. This is why its good to have this functionality out of the box. The performance benefit is quite large. I'm just testing it out on vbulletin and pages load ~5 times faster.

Most people are not able to do that. This is why its good to have this functionality out of the box. The performance benefit is quite large. I'm just testing it out on vbulletin and pages load ~5 times faster.

I'm not disputing with regards to the benefits, what I'm saying is there are compromises no matter what route you take. For you it's saving on http requests and gaining speed performance whilst for your average person they may think "hmmm those images look awfully washed out, taccy on png-8" Let me change that. They find out they can't they haven't got the knowledge to deal with spritesheets. It works both ways, since you seem to have the knowledge you can easily throw all the images on a spritesheet and modify to your needs job done 20 minutes or less out of your time.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you about the benefits, i know what they are.

Ok I'm gonna say what I'm sure most girlies may be thinking during and after watching this very helpful video.

Holly Moley, you have such a wonderful voice Kier. I'm both relaxed and tingly all over. LOL Well if Xenforo fizzles (and we know it won't) you sure will have a career in professional narration or voice over.
Ok, there I said it.

Ahh.. I'm so relaxed now. LOL

On a technical request. The smilie symptom needs some work> Multiple adds, catagories and drag to position would be nice.

Thank eee... I now have my first forum crush. LOL

Awesome Kier! Keep it up buddy! xenForo will be the forum to rule them all!

Ok I'm gonna say what I'm sure most girlies may be thinking during and after watching this very helpful video.

Holly Moley, you have such a wonderful voice Kier. I'm both relaxed and tingly all over. LOL Well if Xenforo fizzles (and we know it won't) you sure will have a career in professional narration or voice over.
Ok, there I said it.

Ahh.. I'm so relaxed now. LOL

On a technical request. The smilie symptom needs some work> Multiple adds, catagories and drag to position would be nice.

Thank eee... I now have my first forum crush. LOL

Today I learned that Kier's voice can give women an orgasm. True story.

sQsn1.gif

Top Bottom