1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Smilies as CSS Sprites

Discussion in 'Have You Seen...?' started by Kier, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

With XenForo 1.1, it's now possible to (optionally) define individual smilies from a sprite image. This video shows you just how easy it is to use the system.

Azofan, vbuser, celebrir and 64 others like this.
  2. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

A comment before I watch it. :)

I am sure it is going to be awesome as usual. :)
  3. robdog

robdog Well-Known Member

Waiting for a Shelley comment. :)

She gonna like dis! *i think, lol*

LOVE the interactive output because I usual guess at sprites and then get frustrated and use Photoshop for more exact measurements, lol.

Come on smilie ordering and categorizing! :p
    Jazzyname and Peggy like this.
  4. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like smilies are per-style still?

At least it looks like it'll be a lot easier to multiple smilies now. One image instead of multiple, and just specifying the appropriate dimensions. (y)
  5. Ranger375

Ranger375 Well-Known Member

Well that is certainly a game changer! Very cool
  6. ibnesayeed

I was thinking about the exact same way of implementation even before watching the video. Specially the sprite alignment interface. :)
  7. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

wow excellent job, this was a thought in couple of hours :eek: now is real
    amazing way to implement smiles into the sprites trick
  8. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

these smiles need a fix: :(:confused::cool::D:sneaky::sleep::sick:(n)
    the right side is not complete
  9. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

They look correct to me?
  10. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

ctrl+0 fixed it :censored:
  11. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

Awesome :)
  12. John L.

John L. Well-Known Member

Oh you guys...you guys are good.
  13. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Brilliant stuff. I'm chuffed this has made it on to a spritesheet and I wasn't quite sure whether it would but the additional scrolling buttons to determine the smiley location is an extremely nice touch. Excellent job indeed. (y)
  14. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Very well implemented, for those who will only ever use the default smilies this is a brilliant addition :)
    intox likes this.
  15. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken your still able to create your custom spritesheet (with more smilies) and simply name the spritesheet xenforo-smilies-sprite and reset the sizes if needed and the additional locations to match? Unless I'm missing something.
    intox likes this.
  16. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

I can see it being an amazing addition for releasing smile packs too... especially if they are intended to simply replace all of the default ones as you could just replace the default sprite sheet with all of the new smilies in the same positions!
    intox likes this.
  17. Hornstar

Hornstar Well-Known Member

very nicely done
    intox likes this.
  18. ibnesayeed

There could be another way to do so by opening that sheet under a modal window then drag to crop/resize and drag to align type of JavaScript solution. And when you are done, it will calculate the positions and dimensions to fill the form. But, the current implementation is cool too, and matches with the XenForo design philosophy.

YET TO BE PROVED DISCOVERY: On a side note, I realize that there seems to be a keyboard shortcut to pull down the ACP search form. If so, then that is fantastic indeed. :)
    intox likes this.
  19. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Or call it whatever you want and just change the location to the new image... in fact you could if you had many smilies in different styles have many sprites one for each style each with different dimension and position settings obviously also different replacement variables too but still this makes things so much easier and also faster love it!
    intox likes this.
  20. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

No doubt :) I put it badly, I meant for those who will be using the .png format smilies

I like my animated 300+ collection too much to change to only being .png ;)
    Shelley and intox like this.