XF 1.3 Smiley Management Enhancements

Welcome to the first Have you seen... for XenForo 1.3!

In this video, I demonstrate the significant improvements and new features we've added to make the management of smilies easier, faster and more flexible.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

... update, Dec 11th - a follow-up video :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Last edited:
How does the sprite know which smile to display?

You input coordinates per smiley from the sprite that distinguishes between each smiley.
Screenshot_7.webp

Last edited:
OK. I can see the benefit of having sprite based smiles and it isn't hard to deal with using a sprite generator.

Thanks for the help.

(y)

Great to see you back Kier!

And great to see how to properly react to customer feedback too.

Nice work on the new smiley features. :cool:

Just one question.:)

The drag and drop functionality. Will that be used in other places where display orders are used? The Node Tree comes to mind.:whistle:

And I am expecting this is just a small start, the first small rocket, to the fireworks for upcoming 1.3 HYS stuff!;)

Because, adding smilies, as much as they are needed in a good forum, are a fire and forget functionality. Get them set up pretty much once and they are hardly ever touched again (at least for most forum owners). So the value of these additions, although neat and nice to have, is actually low. Don't want to belittle the work. Quite the contrary, this is great stuff!

But, that is why I'd venture to say, these improvements are just a low hanging fruit and the first small rocket to a bigger upcoming fireworks of great features for 1.3.:)

I'm waiting in anticipation for the next "oooohs and aaaaahs"!

Scott

You are greatest forum software, i have about one year exploring xenforo and compare it to other scripts of cms
and also explore the other scripts of forums
personally though you are the top of the forum software ,,, the simplicity and modern style and ways you use is perfect and nearby to the social network scripts
when i make the decision to launch my new site i will not find better than xenforo.
i will not get a profit of this speech but you really deserve it
Keep on good work xenforo team

So I must be the only person who does not have his collection of hundreds of smiles in sprites? How do you make a smile sprite?
You can do as @Brogan suggests... or even simpler is go to http://spritegen.website-performance.org/ and follow the instructions. One area that you will want to modify is the horizontal/vertical offset to get them to space closer together.
This is the site I use to generate mine when I need them.

Top Bottom