XF 1.3 Smiley Management Enhancements

Welcome to the first Have you seen... for XenForo 1.3!

In this video, I demonstrate the significant improvements and new features we've added to make the management of smilies easier, faster and more flexible.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

... update, Dec 11th - a follow-up video :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Last edited:
Looks great, I agree with others here about having the option to choose a category, before scanning the chosen directory for new images.

0ptima's suggestion about text to replace based on file name, would also be good.

Let's say you had 10 smileys to import, doesn't sound like much, but by default, you'd have to click 3? times for each smiley to set each one up individually

1 - To enter replacement text
2 - Open category menu
3 - Choose category

That's 30 clicks for 10 smileys

If you had the option to create the text to replace and category automatically, that would reduce it down significantly, assuming the images were named properly in advance, all you'd need to do, is click import, you wouldn't need to do any category changes, or add replacement text.

Having two check boxes on the import page for Auto Categorize and Auto Text Replacement, would be awesome.

Looks great, I agree with others here about having the option to choose a category, before scanning the chosen directory for new images.

0ptima's suggestion about text to replace based on file name, would also be good.

Let's say you had 10 smileys to import, doesn't sound like much, but by default, you'd have to click 3? times for each smiley to set each one up individually

1 - To enter replacement text
2 - Open category menu
3 - Choose category

That's 30 clicks for 10 smileys

If you had the option to create the text to replace and category automatically, that would reduce it down significantly, assuming the images were named properly in advance, all you'd need to do, is click import, you wouldn't need to do any category changes, or add replacement text.

Having two check boxes on the import page for Auto Categorize and Auto Text Replacement, would be awesome.
Technically you could reduce to this 1 action by adding tabindexes to the "text to replace" textbox, meaning you could tab to the next "text to replace" smilie field.

I do agree that the two things needed to fully automate this process are:
Automatically select category before importing (or perhaps even generate category based on folder name)
Automatically insert "text to replace" text with prefix/suffix character of choice (i.e. :{text}:)

More impressed to see the click and drag function. Will make organizing smilies much easier.

Additionally hopefully we'll see the click and drag function in other parts of the site as well, like the Nodes for example.

Really a great addition. I have another idea for the file import.

Add an option to import a CSS Sprite, and give the abilitiy to select the area with the mouse, which should be displayed.

I've now updated the system to allow assignment of all imported smilies to a category with a single control, and to pre-populate the smilie replacement text field with a variation of the smilie file name when importing from a directory.

Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 11.19.32.webp

Screen Shot 2014-01-08 at 11.18.38.webp

What's the little icon appended to the right of the Title field?

Is that a browser plugin? Or something else?

Another LastPass user! Hooray!

Aside from that, these are some excellent improvements to the smiley system on XenForo. Can't wait for 1.3!

Top Bottom