XF 1.3 Smiley Management Enhancements

Welcome to the first Have you seen... for XenForo 1.3!

In this video, I demonstrate the significant improvements and new features we've added to make the management of smilies easier, faster and more flexible.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

... update, Dec 11th - a follow-up video :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Last edited:
@Milano 's smiley manager has a cool feature where you can select smileys & images from a sprite and set them up:

Bulk Add Smilies  Sprite  Admin CP   XenForo.webp

This would be also very nice if it could be added to the XF core...

Kier thanks for improvement. The pitch of the smilie system would be importing from sprite images. You would have a third option: "Import from a Sprite image" , and each smiley would get a dialog box similar to the avatar cropper, allowing you to pick your smilies by mouse-dragging the sprite image. I know that's a lot but if it were done, there would prolly be nothing more to do for smilies for years to come.

@Kier , would it be possible to have an option to bring up the tabs smileys default without having to click on the smiley in the editor ?
This would be nice. I'm currently doing this with just a few lines of JS, but having it built in XF as an option would be better.

I wonder if it's also possible to create an option to insert a space before and after smilies? It's always been a hassle to do this in XF. Currently I have to overwrite some of the JS, which I'd rather not.

@Kier It's possible to preset a category or select a specific category BEFORE importing?

Salud2
That would be handy. If you're doing 20+ smilies at once in one category it would prevent you having to select the category that many times. Possibly prepopulating the text replacement with the title lowercased surrounded with colons might also save a lot of time (you'd just have to ensure the smilies have meaningful names). I imagine it would be quicker to correct any conflicts instead of having to type them all in.

Awesome addition with the follow up video! I would say that it would be nice if the 'text to replace' field were pre-populated with the filename as well, but I can see how this would cause potential issues with conflicting names in multiple fields at the same time possibly...

Great addition!

this is still very far from a good smiley system, compared with DISCUZ , bulk import pictures, automatically generate smiley word

1.webp

example
1-130205101258-52.gif

this is still very far from a good smiley system, compared with DISCUZ , bulk import pictures, automatically generate smiley word

View attachment 62929

example
1-130205101258-52.gif
DISCUZ is still very far from a good forum system like XenForo.
and..they have had enough time to develop that smiley system...initial release of DISCUZ was in March 2002 whereas XF Initial release was in March 8, 2011.
You are requesting too much.

DISCUZ is still very far from a good forum system like XenForo.
and..they have had enough time to develop that smiley system...initial release of DISCUZ was in March 2002 whereas XF Initial release was in March 8, 2011.
You are requesting too much.

that is why I bought xenforo but I still wish it can get better and better. that is why I post the previous article. we all know android copied many ideas from iOS, Apple never copied anything from Android?

that is why I bought xenforo but I still wish it can get better and better. that is why I post the previous article. we all know android copied many ideas from iOS, Apple never copied anything from Android?
You won't help too much mentioning that XF is still very far from another forum platform you like. Just post a suggestion in http://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-suggestions.18/ and you'll be helping.

Personally, I don't have much use for smiley management... I'm so boring, I trimmed our smileys *down* to 13. :)

But... what would be really cool would be if you could have complete sets that were active based on dates.

For example, maybe you have a Christmas set of smileys that are active between December 1 and December 26... if no specific set is set for the current date, just fall back to default.

The seasonal smileys would have to replace other smileys in terms of the replacement text and then be replaced in turn by other smileys - otherwise they would get "broken" when their time ran out. So for example the regular smile could change to Santa smiling during the Christmas season, then go back to the regular smiley. And there could be a pumpkin smiling for Thanksgiving, etc.... As long as they correspond exactly with the default smileys it should be fine.

So I must be the only person who does not have his collection of hundreds of smiles in sprites? How do you make a smile sprite?

Create a blank canvas, add all of the separate images to it.

It only works for static images though, not .gif files with frames (moving).

Top Bottom