Implemented SMF 2.0 to Xenforo Converter

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Please add my voice to the list. I have one XenForo site that I started fresh but I have 3 others that are all SMF.

I'm holding off on buying XenForo licenses for the very reason that I don't want to lose the data.
Which kind of data are you referring to Michael? Actually SMF can be imported to XF through third party software :)

Which kind of data are you referring to Michael? Actually SMF can be imported to XF through third party software :)

ANY data. The site has been running a couple of years and has 50k posts, 5000 users etc. You mentioned that all that stuff will come with it if/when you migrate it however there are other smaller things like user passwords etc.

I did convert from SMF to Xenforo one year ago. During the period since, SMF have released one or two maintenance fixes and basically no new functionality. SMF in my view has gone to sleep and I'm VERY glad that we made the decision to move, Xenforo rocks

A native converter would had made us move earlier but the move as such was quite straight forward and with help from people like @Jake Bunce also things like password was solved. No data lost, no members lost. Increase in traffic and our community now refers to the old SMF installation as the "antique" one. The biggest single issue we had was the fact that we used Pretty URLs at SMF which made the 301 redirect complex.

I wrote down the steps here. https://xenforo.com/community/threads/smf-to-xenforo.53887/page-3#post-640833. Following the thread you can also see the additional changes and solutions for an example passwords. An intermediate idea would be if Xenforo created a more formal resource (Xenforo Tips and Guides) on the migration.

With regards to voting (like) and I raised this before, being a bit selfish, yes I want Xenforo community to grow but I also want the developers to focus new functions. I think Xenforo themselves need to decide if the SMF community is something they want to go after. SMF users will move, question is where and are they willing to pay for a forum solution. I do not think they will like this thread because they are not fully active on this forum.

Last edited:
@Mike is there any word on or thoughts behind an in house converter from SMF to Xenforo? This question has been lingering for some time and it would seem it is still of great interest for many. Doing the 3 step shuffle to achieve conversion is a PIA for many with minimal satisfactory results.

A beta version of the SMF 2.0 importer is included in XenForo 1.4.3 which is available now from the Customer Area.

Please read the release notes. It is a beta, so please test it before doing a live import and let us know how you get on (in the appropriate forum).

A beta version of the SMF 2.0 importer is included in XenForo 1.4.3 which is available now from the Customer Area.

Please read the release notes. It is a beta, so please test it before doing a live import and let us know how you get on (in the appropriate forum).

Nice one. As I stated many times before, moving from SMF to Xenforo is one of the better choices we made for our forum site.

@Chris D
After a day of testing the only thing I did not have success with was avatars and attachments. Even the passwords conversion worked (y)
One other thing, a bunch of these   are every where at the end of some sentences.
On the over all great job (y)(y)

Avatars and attachments is a pretty important thing to get right :)

It may be useful for us to have broader test data. Ideally, getting a copy of your avatars, attachments, the rest of your site files and a copy of your database would allow us to hopefully get everything imported without fault.

If that's not possible, certainly a copy of your database at least will help.

If this is something you can do, please open a ticket in the customer area we'll hopefully get to the bottom of it for you.

I do not currently have an active license, but if I do decide to save up the funds again, and the plugin is more stable; I'd be glad to support it.

I do not currently have an active license, but if I do decide to save up the funds again, and the plugin is more stable; I'd be glad to support it.
Chris fixed the issue I was having and sent me an updated SMF converter which will be in the next XF update. It worked really well and was simple to use.

What are the steps on converting fro SMF to Xenforo? Am about to purchase the software but am confused on what steps to follow,weather via Cpanel or Admin panel and what to click next,someone should help me with the steps so I don't mess up my forum?

Further support will be available to license holders who post in the appropriate forum. Once you have purchased a license, add your forum username to the Forum Users list in the Customer Area and you can post in a forum where help is available.

Top Bottom