XF 1.2 Small issue with viewing unread posts

Wildcat Media

When you click on a thread title, you are usually jumped to the point in the thread which the first unread post is located.

Since the 1.2 upgrade, our big board has had some users report that instead of jumping to the first unread post, they are jumping to the bottom of the page.

Template or JavaScript issue, perhaps? I did revert or merge templates where needed, but I don't think I touched the template that builds the thread view page.

Any clue where I can look, or should I just revert everything and play it safe?

JQuery wouldn't be doing this, would it? I have the forum set to use Google's CDN to deliver the JQuery. We are also not using anything like CloudFlare--everything is self hosted.

The link should be /unread for each title which gets redirected to a specific post. If anything, they should remain at the top.

jQuery doesn't interact with this portions. Does the URL end in #post-#?

I merged one or two templates that had some minor modifications, but reverted all of the rest when I did the upgrade. I'm thinking I might have to revert those I merged or customized over the past few years and start from scratch.

I merged one or two templates that had some minor modifications, but reverted all of the rest when I did the upgrade. I'm thinking I might have to revert those I merged or customized over the past few years and start from scratch.

Yes it's safest to revert all templates. When I make a template modification, I always include comments so I can quickly reproduce the changes. I save a copy of each modified template in a simple text file.

The link should be /unread for each title which gets redirected to a specific post. If anything, they should remain at the top.

jQuery doesn't interact with this portions. Does the URL end in #post-#?

I'll have to check those URL issues. Thing is, it's working OK for me, so I can't really duplicate it to find out. I'll ask around though!

I agree--if a link isn't exactly right on a page, I've seen the same thing--they usually remain at the top of the page.

Yes it's safest to revert all templates. When I make a template modification, I always include comments so I can quickly reproduce the changes. I save a copy of each modified template in a simple text file.

One thought: there is an option to turn on serving templates from the filesystem as opposed to the database. Would that be a source of trouble? I enabled it after I did the upgrade to XF1.2, though, but I'm going to disable it anyway until I figure out what's going wrong.

One thought: there is an option to turn on serving templates from the filesystem as opposed to the database. Would that be a source of trouble? I enabled it after I did the upgrade to XF1.2, though, but I'm going to disable it anyway until I figure out what's going wrong.

I see no speed improvement in serving templates from the file system, it would be safer to have it served from the database.

I'm pretty much convinced it is template related. I just have to find time to redo all of that work. :) What I really want to do is replace the direct template edits with entries I'd make in the new template modification system. I used it for one modification using a simple search and replace, and it worked fantastic! It gives me the freedom to try out new ideas in the template without bringing down the whole forum. ;)

There is a similar problem now: if you are viewing a thread and click on the "Next" link, some users are reporting they jump to the bottom of the following page instead of the top.

I can't duplicate it myself. My only thought is that it might be a plugin since I now have hardly any modified templates (the only one with a couple of additions is EXTRA.css).

There is a similar problem now: if you are viewing a thread and click on the "Next" link, some users are reporting they jump to the bottom of the following page instead of the top.

I can't duplicate it myself. My only thought is that it might be a plugin since I now have hardly any modified templates (the only one with a couple of additions is EXTRA.css).

Any plugins related to posting?

Nothing that I can see. I have Waindigo's Newest Post First add-on installed; I'd disable it to see if that were causing the problem, but since I can't duplicate the problem, there is no way for me to check.

Try disabling that and see if the user that reported it still has problems.

Top Bottom