Small announcement about AVForums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart, Will you be using the Searchlight addon or will you be using the xenforo search addon?
There isn't a Searchlight addon for Xenforo as far as I'm aware. I've got to say that Floren's Searchlight product for vBulletin has been absolutely rock solid. Very, very impressed by that guy's work.
No, we're going with Elastic because I prefer to go with as much vanilla stuff as possible. All our editorial stuff is being coded to use Elastic as well and the plan is that search results will include forum and editorial content.

It's the little things which are a PITA.
Besides things like organising a replacement for iTrader, our Moderator Checkpoint System, the suite of addons for our classifieds section (Custom Post New Thread button, Thread archival, Birth Date restrictions, Max thread count per forum, Custom Thread Form, Disallow Poll Creation),

1.webp

Competitions, DFP Banner ads, Mailing lists and Surveys, it's the little things which can be a real pain. Things like the custom smileys we've been using for years which simply don't exist in any form for Xenforo. And the custom BB codes which we've used for ages. It's these little things which, if we don't find working replacements for, will break posts and cause a disproportionate volume of complaints from members.
Forget all the awesome new stuff we will be bringing to our members like Xenforo's beautiful UI, Showcases, Hotspots, XenAttendo and a gallery. It's the stuff which breaks which will cause the most fuss. I bet.

You can customise your smilies in the ACP.
Just upload the smiley images and add them in the ACP with the title and replacement text you want.

Custom BB Code will require an add-on though.

I'll be interested in what ever you come up with to help with the cookie stuffers. I've been getting swamped with them lately.

Thanks for the link. Copyright isn't an issue. It's more to do with the fact that our smilies are a bit of a mish mash built up over the years, and I want to use the nice new XF style ones throughout for a more consistent feel.

Apropos of nothing, but in regards to the earlier conversation about Huddler, the reason I got into this game is because my favorite site (styleforum) switched over to Huddler and it really went to ****. No one seemed to care anything about it since the money was rolling in, so I figured "alright, if you think you can do it better, then put your money where your mouth is!"

Now I'm $500 poorer and spend most of my time talking to myself :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Copyright isn't an issue. It's more to do with the fact that our smilies are a bit of a mish mash built up over the years, and I want to use the nice new XF style ones throughout for a more consistent feel.
If you've got money to burn for your board, you could hire @Shelley redo them however you wish. It won't be cheap, but her work speaks volumes.

Edit: Did I do the "@" thing right? Pretty sure I messed that one up.

Reactions: rdn
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom